HDR10 VS DOLBY VISION.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
So we have seen this year only LG has included Dolby Vision so far with it's tv sets. Yet no company is yet to include Dolby Vision in their UHD Players so far to my knowledge. Also no other television manufacturers has included Dolby Vision in their tv sets.(But a few) Now this leads to the question is this going dwn the same road as, yes you guessed it. VHS VS BETAMAX.

Why are so many companies not including Dolby Vision in their products & will lack of interest in it give way to HDR10 to lead the way..? Its still early days, but from experience popularity seems to win the game as suppose to Quality.

Do we even know for sure which of the formats will produce the best viewing experience?

D

Deleted member 2457

Native_bon said:
So we have seen this year only LG has included Dolby Vision so far with it's tv sets. Yet no company is yet to include Dolby Vision in their UHD Players so far to my knowledge. Also no other television manufacturers has included Dolby Vision in their tv sets. Now this leads to the question is this going dwn the same road as, yes you guessed it. VHS VS BETAMAX.

Why are so many companies not including Dolby Vision in their products & will lack of interest in it give way to HDR10 to lead the way..? Its still early days, but from experience popularity seems to win the game as suppose to Quality.

Do we even know for sure which of the formats will produce the best viewing experience?
In John Lewis Milton Keynes in a display window they have the LG 65 G6v OLED TV and on it is running a demo where you get to see Dolby Vision, HDR and normal content, oh yeah and 4K. Dolby Vision looked quite bright to me but so did HDR on the demo. I guess that there won't be any war and they will both just co-exist. Like different sound codecs eg master audio and Dolby true HD.

Dont think I will bother buying another blu Ray player just to get Dolby Vision though, it would've to be cheap.

It's not exactly like VHS vs Betamax because all TVs supporting Dolby Vision will also support HDR10.

Here's a rundown of the difference:

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-entertainment/1404660/dolby-vision-vs-hdr-10-whats-the-difference

Dolby Vision content is mastered to 4000 nits, which no consumer TV is capable of. Let's see how this translates to in picture quality.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Vhs and Betamax was a physical media war as was Sony's mini disk vs CD etc etc etc.

the two will co exist as does dtsx and atmos, dts HD master and Dolby true HD. It will be the hardware that will support the formats and it is in the interest of the hardware manufacturers to support new sound, video formats, resolutions etc.

There will always be someone first to the table with new formats, and hardware will go out of date quickly because another new format wil come out to compete, and so it goes on and on......

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Thanks boss, I have actually read that article before. Yes it does say you need same standard for Dolby Vision so both formats go hand in hand. The only problem am seeing most companies are not ready to produce Dolby Vision source players. In other words if we cannot play it, why bulid it into the tv sets. If am right you actually need a Dolby vision chip set to play Dolby Vision materia, but this is not the case with HDR10, which can be included by just software update.

Native_bon said:
Thanks boss, I have actually read that article before. Yes it does say you need same  standard for Dolby Vision so both formats go hand in hand. The only problem am seeing most companies are not ready to produce Dolby Vision source players. In other words if we cannot play it, why bulid it into the tv sets. If am right you actually need a Dolby vision chip set to play Dolby Vision materia, but this is not the case with HDR10, which can be included by just software update. 
That's because Dolby Vision chipset (HiSilicon® Hi3798C V200) is not yet ready / physically available. Once the chipset is ready, you will start to see players with it. Obviously, no manufacturer can announce it yet, until they get hold of the chipsets.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
should of titled the thread HDR10 VS dolby vision to make it easier for some people to understand who aren't fully aware of the format's info

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Native_bon said:
Thanks boss, I have actually read that article before. Yes it does say you need same standard for Dolby Vision so both formats go hand in hand. The only problem am seeing most companies are not ready to produce Dolby Vision source players. In other words if we cannot play it, why bulid it into the tv sets. If am right you actually need a Dolby vision chip set to play Dolby Vision materia, but this is not the case with HDR10, which can be included by just software update.
That's because Dolby Vision chipset (HiSilicon® Hi3798C V200) is not yet ready / physically available. Once the chipset is ready, you will start to see players with it. Obviously, no manufacturer can announce it yet, until they get hold of the chipsets.
I think the chipset is already in a product here? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYiEK9W5-Ho

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Native_bon said:
bigboss said:
Native_bon said:
I think the chipset is already in a product here? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYiEK9W5-Ho

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts