HDMI pass through on AV receivers

hifianorak

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I notice the new Pioneer AV receivers have HDMI pass through (when in standby mode) . Do many others now have this facility?

My Samsung C8000 has side facing HDMI cables and is a stupid design and I would rather route through my HDMI's via the AV receiver for a neater set up. The only snag being that for occasional non-essential viewing I don't fancy having the amp on at all times.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
My Yamaha 667 which is last years model has HDMI pass through in standby and very useful it is to.

I think a lot of AV Amps from last year had this facility.

A

Anonymous

Can I ask a very stupid question? I have the Onky 609 which also has the pass through function. What are the main benifits of using this? Why don't you fancy having the amp on during non essential viewing Hifilover? Is it to lenghthen the life of the amp?? ( I said it was a stupid question!) I notice that my amp gets quite hot when in use, but when in "through" mode, the amp is continually on whilst in standby and stays quite warm. Does anyone have any energy usage figures when in pass through mode compared to normal usage?

Be gentle!

Cheers.

hifianorak

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
I guess it is just the energy consumption and I don't personally need the amp on when watching the news etc. I find the side positions of HDMI's on my Samsung really ugly and feeding them into the AV receiver is a way around that. Whether the picture quality is inferior via the amp rather than the TV is of course another matter.

A

Anonymous

I'm confused about what pass through means. You appear to be saying that it is for when the AVR is in standby mode, but is this the only function? I thought that HDMI pass through was also to simply pass a selected HDMI imput through to the HDMI output without any further processing and thus preserve the source format/signal (i.e. 1080p output from the BDP going 'directly' to the TV via the AVR HDMI input/output)?

Paul.

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
pauled51 said:
I'm confused about what pass through means. You appear to be saying that it is for when the AVR is in standby mode, but is this the only function? I thought that HDMI pass through was also to simply pass a selected HDMI imput through to the HDMI output without any further processing and thus preserve the source format/signal (i.e. 1080p output from the BDP going 'directly' to the TV via the AVR HDMI input/output)?

Paul.

I'm always confused.

Denon's pass through allows an HDMI input signal to be used as an output without having to fully switch on the amp on. I have not heard of your second description so unable to comment.

A

Anonymous

Your all wrong about Pioneer having this feature. I just bought a Pioneer Elite VSX-51 and have spent countless hours trying to get this pass through to work with my Pioneer Plasma and no go. Please don't confuse people saying this feature is available with their products when they aren't. As far as I know, no Pioneer Elite series in the VSX lineup is capable of this feature because if it was it would be told about in the forums. Nobody has had success that I know of.

jberenyi said:
Your all wrong about Pioneer having this feature. I just bought a Pioneer Elite VSX-51 and have spent countless hours trying to get this pass through to work with my Pioneer Plasma and no go. Please don't confuse people saying this feature is available with their products when they aren't. As far as I know, no Pioneer Elite series in the VSX lineup is capable of this feature because if it was it would be told about in the forums. Nobody has had success that I know of.

1) This was a November 2011 thread, over 15 months old!

2) Pioneer receivers sold in the UK were being discussed. Pioneer Elite series is sold in the US and not in the UK.

A

Anonymous

Well I got the word from Pioneer themselves today. Yes the VSX-51 will perform pass through on HDMI however....the Motorola cable box from Comcast will not allow that feature to work correctly because it is not compatible with the Pioneer platform. The new (2013) Pioneer units take this issue into account and does not rely on any particular requirements from a source connection with HDMI. He did tell my a way to connect though to by-pass this issue and still get what I want. Very excited about this new way and can hardly wait to try it out. As far as UK goes....I don't see anything mentioned about UK units and Elite units.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts