HDMI - new developments

ChrisWaller

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
I have a TV with only one HDMI input. I also have an AV Amp that's starting to show it's age.

I've decided to hold off buying a new AV Amp until I can afford one that I like that supports 3D (HDMI 1.4?). Are there any further developments expected with HDMI that I should know about? I don't want to get an Amp that is quickly made obsolete by developments in HDMI.

Are there any Amps that can be updated online like the PS3 seems to be to ensure that it supports new developments?

Thanks,

Chris

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
As far as we know, the current 1.4a spec is as far as it goes, but of course future developments may change the game as and when...

And no, we don't know of any amps with firmware-upgradability of this kind.

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
ChrisWaller:

I don't want to get an Amp that is quickly made obsolete by developments in HDMI.

In that case I am afraid you will never be able to buy an Amp...

Sure, the 1.4 standard has just recently been finalised, and no, there are no current plans of further updates. But I can almost guarantee there will be further updates at some point, if not a completely new standard!

A

Anonymous

Super HD is next, I would assume, but that will be several years before it fully up and running over here.

I am not interested in 3D so I am going to take advantage of 2009 stock reductions and get myself a nice amp

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
canada16:Super HD is next, I would assume, but that will be several years before it fully up and running over here.

Although of course HDMI 1.4 supports 4K resolution, so at least is futureproofed in that respect...

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The BBC plans use Super Hi-Vision to screen coverage of the 2012 Olympics on big screens in city centres across Britain. Thirty three times higher resolution than current HD TV.

I think they are being rather optimistic here, or maybe progress will be faster. SHDTV is not destined to hit Japanese transmitters till circa 2025, we shall see...

ChrisWaller

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
Thanks - I know that there is never a time when developments are simply stopped, but the very quick obsolescence of pre-HDMI 1.4 concerned me a little.

So from this, it sounds like the Yamaha RX-V567 or Sony STR-DN1010 might be worth a try (as an upgrade from my existing Yamaha RX-V657)? Or do you have any alternative suggestions?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts