HDMI cables, does the quality of the cable really matter?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have some questions about HDMI cables. There's a review of a Cambridge Audio 2 metre HDMI cable on the site which says that it sounds 'lean and hard', now obviously i'm not questioning the review, but how is it that the cable actually alters the sound?

As I understand, the cables carry a digital signal, so any distortion introduced by cable itself and the electrical fields it passes through tends to be resolved when the signal is decoded at the receiving device.

Furthermore, any interference with the signal which is large enough to produce errors after the decoding stage doesn't necessarily appear as audible or visible artifacts.

So as long as the cable can actually carry the signal at the required level for the decoder to decode it properly, it shouldn't actually affect the more subjective areas of the signal... should it?

I'd like to hear your guys thoughts on this. Thanks.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
sicritchley: I'd like to hear your guys thoughts on this. Thanks.

Might I suggest you search the forums for the numerous threads that already exist discussing this very matter? I don't think anyone really wants to get involved in yet another thread on the subject. No offence meant...

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:I don't think anyone really wants to get involved in yet another thread on the subject. No offence meant...

ÿ

Twaddle, I live and breathe for these HDMI threads though I don't have time for this particular one, I have to go and do the hoovering.

A

Anonymous

Ahhh cool, found some... I do like a nice debate though.

A

Anonymous

Hi matey I try to be a bit more helpfull rather than sending you to other threads :)

Ive tried a £10 HDMI and tried a £100 HDMI to be honest i dident notice any difference! As long as the min price you spend on a HDMI is around the 10 pound mark then i think your be fine!

Best of luck fella

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Ah, but is that helpful advice or not? Depends on your point of view...
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

I think its more helpful than telling people this >>>>

I don't think anyone really wants to get involved in yet another thread on the subject. No offence meant...

you get me drift lol

Sliced Bread

randydevilad:
I think its more helpful than telling people this >>>>

I don't think anyone really wants to get involved in yet another thread on the subject. No offence meant...

you get me drift lol

I think that he is just saying that this debate is going on in several other threads at the moment.

Randydevilad,

I think you are unlikely to get a consensus on this issue, so the best thing to do (in my opinion) is to try some yourself (many shops will let you borrow one / some) compare them and stick with the one your happy with. If you can get someone to switch the cables so you can blind test them then all the better :O)

A

Anonymous

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=H56D2mjztaI&feature=related

HDMI related video

A

Anonymous

So are the Chord, VDH, QED hmdi cables etc all DPL rated?? Because from looking at those youtube vids they seem to test hdmi cables scientifically using expensive equipment. The ones they have rated best are Honeywell Genesis 7000 and Ethereal cables..iv not even heard of these cables...

http://www.buy.com/prod/ethereal-em-hdmi2-hdmi-cable-2meters-1-x-hdmi-1-x-hdmi/q/loc/111/202755471.html

Anyone else heard of this cable?

A

Anonymous

This video seems interesting too:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tIf8HLZK6a8

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Ginder:This video seems interesting too:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tIf8HLZK6a8

That was really good (I got bored listening to the guy drone on in the DPL video I'm afraid!).

Hmm, stores try to sell you lots of extras that they make a bigger margin on ... the same the world on, I expect.

A

Anonymous

Yeh but for newbie customers like me, it makes it quite confusing as to go out and spend 60-70 quid on a cable or not..

avnut

Oct 14, 2008
Visit site
i've just posted the same answer on another thread but here goes.......

spent £60 on vdh flat and its no improvement on the one i already had from tesco £20.. conclusion, buy an unbranded one and your laughing.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
my personal opinion is that you can't tell the difference between a £20 HDMI and a £80+ HDMI. People spend so much on kit that the old "given you've spent a grand on your screen and £500 on your amp, it would be silly not to spend some small change, say £80 (only a week's beer money) on a small item to extract the best from what you already have" is very tempting.

I hereby challenge What Hi-Fi to do a blind test (not actually blind, that would be pointless, but without being able to see the cable in use) and see what your testing team really rate...

(perhaps wait until the Vegas hand-overs have subsided, tho).
emotion-5.gif

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, i think i'll be getting a ten pound one from Amazon. I'm getting the 46 incher of your tv, what's it like for picture quality? How's the BD 55 for picture quality, sound etc?

avnut

Oct 14, 2008
Visit site
hd picture onthe pz80 is fantastic sd picture is good as well just make sure you spend some time tweeking it to your eyes dont listen to anybody elses settings its your tv set it up how you like it. regards the 55 i really wanted the 35 but it was out of stock and i just couldnt wait.the picture and sound blew me away but i think the 35 would have been just as good. remember all bluray discs are created equal,just some are more equal than others.

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, i'm dreading setting the thing up as i'm no expert, it'll make a good night in, ha ha. I really want the BD 55, god knows why. Really, really looking forward to Wyatt Earp, Donnie Darko and Taxi Driver on Blu-Ray, i won't believe my beady little eyes. You seen the new Panasonic sets? They look gorgeous.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Big Aura:I hereby challenge What Hi-Fi to do a blind test (not actually blind, that would be pointless, but without being able to see the cable in use) and see what your testing team really rate...

All of WHF's tests are standard double blind tests to ensure things like placebo effect or whatever don't affect the outcome of the test. Clare has actually promised to publish the test results next time they run an HDMI cable test for the people who don't believe her!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts