HDMI cable: Which one to pick?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

the_lhc:Childs1962:However a digital signal either gets through or it doesnt, it either works or it doesnt with nothing in between. That's so far from the truth it isn't even funny.

Hmm, have a read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital

Quote:

"Electric pulses transmitted via wires are typically attenuated by the resistance of the wire, and changed by its capacitance or inductance. Temperature variations can increase or reduce these effects. While digital transmissions are also degraded, slight variations do not matter since they are ignored when the signal is received. With an analog signal, variances cannot be distinguished from the signal and so provide a kind of distortion. In a digital signal, similar variances will not matter, as any signal close enough to a particular value will be interpreted as that value."

axman

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
basver:

Axman, where did you get ther Chord and for what price?

I live outside of the UK and usually Chord do not allow retailers to deliver outside of the UK, but Futureshop does and I paid 40 minus VAT.
emotion-21.gif
I think Audio Affair has them too.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:Childs1962:However a digital signal either gets through or it doesnt, it either works or it doesnt with nothing in between.That's so far from the truth it isn't even funny.Would you like to explain to us poor mortals what the truth is?

A

Anonymous

f1only:

I use these now, they are better sounding & picture quality than previous ones purchased at around the £20 to £30 price mark, I have now tried 4 different makes.

These look very, very similar to the IXOS hdmi lead's accept the price that is. Similar looking original IXOS branded hdmi lead will cost you around £60 - £70 or more but this one is only £20 therefore a good bargain, I know which one i will go for.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Axman. I live outside the UK too, and I checked Futureshop but the Silver Plus does some 85 Pounds over there... Aren't you mixing up with the Supershield? That one does some 45 pounds.

A

Anonymous

Ethernet on this cable is not a real *must* as the BD-SP808 has an ethernetport. Being 3D ready is more important, so is the highspeed capacity. Would that Chord one do, then?

michael hoy

basver:Ethernet on this cable is not a real *must* as the BD-SP808 has an ethernetport. Being 3D ready is more important, so is the highspeed capacity. Would that Chord one do, then?

I have the previous version (1.3) of the Chord active, no ethernet but are 3D ready and I have tested the cable and work with 3D.

They can be purchased from £39.00 at various sites, some of whom are regulars on here.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
basver:Ethernet on this cable is not a real *must* as the BD-SP808 has an ethernetport. Being 3D ready is more important, so is the highspeed capacity. Would that Chord one do, then?

As far as I know, no equipment is currently on sale that has ethernet over HDMI capability anyway.

axman

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
Like Michael said, the packaging says the 1.3b HDMI cable is 3D ready. I just ordered another one to replace my other QED classic. Looking at the various lengths which are not available anymore, you better hurry.

idc

Childs1962:
jarra:Is this discussion not unlike the arguement for speaker cable. Does bell wire not offer the same result as expensive cable, after all its just a signal thats passed down the wire.

No, an analogue signal, such as in speaker cable or phono interconnects, can be influenced by the cable, this is without question.

However a digital signal either gets through or it doesnt, it either works or it doesnt with nothing in between.

True frequency measurements find differences between analogue cables, but not in the audible range of us humans. That is further backed up by blind testing which results in no better than random results.

A

Anonymous

As far as I know HDMI 1.3(b) does not have ARC.

This triggers something at this end. Assume the following config:

LED TV with ARC, HDMI 1.4
Receiver with ARC, HDMI 1.4
Bluray, HDMI 1.4 as well.

TV and receiver connected via a HDMI 1.4 lead

Let's say I would play a DVD and/or Bluray. The ARC functionality between receiver and TV is used to auto adjust lipsync without having to set the msec delay manually.

Apart from the lack of ethernet and the fact that there is only basic 3D support, using a 1.3(b) cable then would do?

A

Anonymous

Check the comparison chart here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdmi#Version_1.4

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
basver:The ARC functionality between receiver and TV is used to auto adjust lipsync without having to set the msec delay manually.

ARC (or Audio Return Channel) simply allows audio from a device e.g. a TV, to be piped back along an HDMI cable into an AV receiver so that a separate optical audio cable isn't needed. It's not for adjusting lip sync as it isn't involved with the Blu-ray / DVD playback (though a separate part of the HDMI spec should handle that), it's basically for outputting sound from the TV's internal tuner through the AV receiver without extra cables.

basver:Apart from the lack of ethernet and the fact that there is only basic 3D support, using a 1.3(b) cable then would do?

Not sure what you mean by "basic 3D support" - a cable is either certified to pass 3D or it's not, there aren't different levels. If you look at the link a few others have put (here), there's no such thing as a 1.3 or a 1.4 cable, there is only Standard Speed and High Speed. You need High Speed to guarantee 1080p and this can also handle ARC, 3D, Deep Colour, 4K and all manner of other things. If you need Ethernet functionality, this is provided with either a Standard Speed with Ethernet or a High Speed with Ethernet cable.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:basver:The ARC functionality between receiver and TV is used to auto adjust lipsync without having to set the msec delay manually.
ARC (or Audio Return Channel) simply allows audio from a device e.g. a TV, to be piped back along an HDMI cable into an AV receiver so that a separate optical audio cable isn't needed. It's not for adjusting lip sync as it isn't involved with the Blu-ray / DVD playback (though a separate part of the HDMI spec should handle that), it's basically for outputting sound from the TV's internal tuner through the AV receiver without extra cables.

Indeed: some player/TV combinations do allow automatic lip-synch correction as part of their HDMI-CEC functionality (usually under a proprietary name such as Viera Link or whatever), but this is not standardised, so in all probability won't work correctly with 'mixed brand' systems, and has nothing to do with ARC.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I believe both have the lipsync functionality but only the 1.4 version has the audio return, this is how i have understood it from what i've read on various hdmi websites. Probably miss read it, getting senile in my old age
emotion-4.gif

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yes, but as stated, 1.4 is only relevant for the ports, not the cables. So only devices with HDMI 1.4 ports can support ARC.

So to try and clarify:

1.3 and 1.4 = Ports (i.e. devices like Blu-ray players, AV receivers, TVs etc.)

Standard Speed and High Speed = Cables

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Indeed: most HDMI cables are fully-wired - one reason why some old '1.3' cables support ARC when used with components providing this function. However, one or two manufacturers do claim to have improved the wiring used for the ARC connection in their latest high speed cables - as we now have to describe them - in the quest for better sound*.

(* I merely pass on the claim, without any value-judgement whatsoever, actual or implied
emotion-1.gif
)

A

Anonymous

Andrew and Professorhat, thanks!

So, a fully wired highspeed "1.3" cable would support any feature (3D, 4K etc) currently referred to as "1.4". Isn't the 1.4 statement on the leads marketing bs then and is the Chord 1.3 version for some 40 quid a bargain???

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts