Has someone got a link to the Panasonic 65-inch 4K OLED TV at TPS?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

Which TV would you go for a Panasonic 55-inch OLED or a LG 65-inch OLED?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The guy is not wrong - the bigger the tv the more ambient light it will create, which will reflect around a light room and illuminate the room

This works counter productive to pictue quality contrast and especially 3D.

Best cure cover all the walls and ceiling in this and watch the set be transformed - but also the wife divorce you unless she is either a vampire or a bat

D

Deleted member 2457

PRC Direct have got the Panasonic 65-inch OLED at £8000 too. Cant link at work.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:

Unless I could get one as good as yours, gel, I'm not sure I would go for an OLED at all just now. The black levels are great, but not every OLED model has good shadow detail, and for me there's no point in great black levels if there is no detail in the blacks. Plus, I couldn't stand the vignetting and black crush along the sides that some models have. If those qualifications were dealt with, I'd go for the LG 65" OLED, if I were one television ago. I wouldn't, now already having a 65" plasma, go for another 65" set, and buying a 55" set, for the rest of my life, is now unthinkable.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Best cure cover all the walls and ceiling in this and watch the set be transformed - but also the wife divorce you unless she is either a vampire or a bat

Well, I have no wife, thank goodness, but my biggest room does also have to function as a vaguely normal living room, so I couldn't really cover the walls and ceilings in very dark stuff!

D

Deleted member 2457

http://www.prcdirect.co.uk/products/TV/televisions//led-televisions//item/TX65CZ952B

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:

Unless I could get one as good as yours, gel, I'm not sure I would go for an OLED at all just now. The black levels are great, but not every OLED model has good shadow detail, and for me there's no point in great black levels if there is no detail in the blacks. Plus, I couldn't stand the vignetting and black crush along the sides that some models have. If those qualifications were dealt with, I'd go for the LG 65" OLED, if I were one television ago. I wouldn't, now already having a 65" plasma, go for another 65" set, and buying a 55" set, for the rest of my life, is now unthinkable.
Interesting. I am finding 55-inches quite big still and to think I could go even blacker is a big draw for me, but then there is 4K and that would really need 65-inches.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Interesting. I am finding 55-inches quite big still and to think I could go even blacker is a big draw for me, but then there is 4K and that would really need 65-inches.

Hmm. In my bedroom, I have a Pioneer 428XD HD-ready plasma, which is 7'6" away from my head as I lie on the bed, and I think that that is a fine size. But in the kitchen, I'm sometimes 10 feet away from my LG 60PZ950T plasma, which I can't help wishing were a bit bigger! Similar for the Panasonic 65VT65 in the parlour, fine as it goes but .....

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Son of SJ - are you saying you have the possibility to dedicate a room to AV?

Can you do away with one your many rooms, parlour for example and dedicate it to a proper cinema room.

This would change everything for you in you could - this would open up possibilites beyond your recognition of amazement

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
No ellisdj, I can't really dedicate one room entirely to AV. I live in only a two-bedroom flat and all my main rooms will have to be dual-purpose, with AV being only one of the dual purposes. I have AV systems in both bedrooms, kitchen and parlour. The parlour would be the best one to convert fully, but it does have to function as a normal living-room as well!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Damn It - cant you just use the bit of your kitchen where the big TV is to host guests or whatever then have a proper cinema room all blacked out with the big screen in looking amazing?

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
I guess I'm not quite dedicated enough to AV to sacrifice one room completely. In retrospect, that's subconciously why I evolved to having four home cinema systems, so I could have a decent screen and surround sound whichever room I happened to be in. And I'm not sure how big you think my kitchen is, but it measures only 17'2" by 14'3" by 7'6". When I run my film shows, I have people in all four rooms, showing up to four different films, so to me it's important that each room does have some cinematic ability. And there is a more fundamental issue - I personally don't like batcaves or very dark rooms, they strain my eyes!.. Especially if they have another function as well, such as kitchen or bedroom. That's why, when Mr Stephen Withers was here two years ago to calibrate my television, I didn't ask him to calibrate for a day setting and a night setting, I asked him to calibrate for subdued daylight, with the curtains drawn but not black-out conditions.

As it happens, my kitchen, because in it the television is against the south-facing wall with the window on the north-facing wall, is the darkest of my main rooms. But any new television won't be going into it, not unless I eventually get another new one!

As a reminder, this is what the back of my kitchen looks like when I run my film shows. I do put the palettes under the middle row and the tables under the back row of seats away when the kitchen is being used as a kitchen! You can see the venetian blinds behind the last row of chairs,

Image071_2729_kB_28-Feb-2014_15h49_B60_zps75b3e97d.jpg

facing the LG 60PZ950T television which is on a shelf against the wall

Image106_2893_kB_21-May-2014_21h12_B70_zps55db0231.jpg

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
The new panny says you save £801.00, but is warranty not free these days. That's a marketing spin there. My nxt tv set must be a 65inch size. Looks like am going to wait for oled. May be early to mid nxt year. Having said that my decision to buy either Oled or lcd will mostly depend on prices of Oled coming dwn a bit. So far big screen lcd are coming dwn in price, hope Oled follows soon enough.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Playing devil's advocate for a minute.

Invite less people round at once and have it better for you the rest of the time, or make them take turns in the main room

A PJ wouldn't hurt your eyes in the dark same as a tv it's 1/3 the brightness but 3 x the size.

I appreciate entertaining seems a big part of your life. I am friendless and selfish so set things up purely for 1's pleasure

D

Deleted member 2457

Available to order here:

http://www.audiot.co.uk/products/panasonic-tx-65cz952-oled-tv-9322.aspx

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
to think I could go even blacker is a big draw for me

I'm not sure if you meant bigger rather than blacker, Gel.

If you're chasing better black levels than your 980W then you already won the race. Your current TV can produce absolute black.

In other words, your 980W performs identically to the new LG and Panasonic OLEDs. No matter how much money you spend, you can't get blacker than absolute black.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:
to think I could go even blacker is a big draw for me

I'm not sure if you meant bigger rather than blacker, Gel.

If you're chasing better black levels than your 980W then you already won the race. Your current TV can produce absolute black.

In other words, your 980W performs identically to the new LG and Panasonic OLEDs. No matter how much money you spend, you can't get blacker than absolute black.
Cheers mate, that is reassuring to know. No upgrades needed then. I already have THX mode too and now I am thinking about having it calibrated too!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
I already have THX mode too and now I am thinking about having it calibrated too!

The 980W seems to calibrate better than later LG OLEDs, so a relatively small investment in a pro-cal sounds pretty sensible to me (unless you sell the TV on in the near future, of course).

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:
I already have THX mode too and now I am thinking about having it calibrated too!

The 980W seems to calibrate better than later LG OLEDs, so a relatively small investment in a pro-cal sounds pretty sensible to me (unless you sell the TV on in the near future, of course).
I am trying very hard not to spend money at the moment, so calibration could be a good route.

TRENDING THREADS