Has anything good been recorded since Pink Floyd at their best?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Has anything good been recorded since Pink Floyd at their best?

If so, please let me know what - I want to expand my CD collection, but I keep returning to Pink Floyd (and Dire Straits) as most CDs I try sound boring!

System:

Talk Electronics Thunder 3 (+ 0.5 Whirlwind PSU) CD player

Exposure 17 / 18s pre/power amp

Epos ES14

Cable Talk 3.1 biwire / Kimber PBJ

Russ Andrews mains cables/block, and no "enjoyment killing" mains conditioner!

koolkeith

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
Very funny.You are joking aren't you ? Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, what else Queen ?. Music for people with flat feet who can't dance.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
My fav in that order....

1. Wish you were here

2. The dark side of the Moon

3. Delicate Sound of Thunder

1. Love Over Gold

2. Brothers in Arms

3. Alchemy

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
koolkeith:Very funny.You are joking aren't you ? Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, what else Queen ?. Music for people with flat feet who can't dance.
But who can think

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Could be an interesting thread for the forum pugilists.
I could list what I think are great bands all night but will settle for "Little Feat".

A

Anonymous

emelie simon

ricardo villalobos

anders trentemoller - take me into your skin.....goes a bit floyd in the middle, tho you wouldnt expect it from how it sounds at the start

radio head

erland oye/kings of convinience

theres so much interesting stuff out there at the moment

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
lejockey:
emelie simon

ricardo villalobos

anders trentemoller - take me into your skin.....goes a bit floyd in the middle, tho you wouldnt expect it from how it sounds at the start

radio head

erland oye/kings of convinience

theres so much interesting stuff out there at the moment

Apart from Radiohead (obviously) I never heard the others and I own nearly 2000 Cds! I better check them out.

A

Anonymous

you tube will turn up lots of stuff by these guys, a good starting point to see if there is anything you like in there. With villalobos, I would recomend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4RJsDuW4Q4

he is an electronic music producer, very experimental in amny of his works, but also writes some interesting music played at the mkore underground might clubs like rex in paris or fabric in london. Emelie simon is a french singer songwirte, has some similarities to Bjork in terms of the music she writes, tho her voice is a lot more traditional for want of a better word.

Hope you enjoy :)

A

Anonymous

yes, Roger Waters at his best.

Pro and Cons of Hitchhiking
Radio Chaos
Amused to Death ( as good as any Floyd IMHO)

Robson and Jerome!

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
You've got to be kidding me! The internet has sparked a resurgence in quality music. There is sooooo much fanstastic music out there now!!! You do have to dig around a bit for it, but it's so much easier than it was even 10 years ago. Go to last.fm and type in your favorite artist and hit the "similar artists" link.

Listening to this right now and it's brilliant

sig2012.jpg

Also love Kings of Convenience. And highly recommend this:

472.jpg

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Oh, BTW, not to offend anyone, but I basically dumped every CD made before 1995. Just so many times you can listen to all that old 70's and 80's stuff. I got burned out on that lot a long long time ago. I'm always looking for fresh music. Plus those old recordings are often rubbish by comparison to today's best. I really don't understand how people can listen to stairway to heaven for the 28,000th time...kinda makes me nauseous to even think about it.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Coincidentally not since 1979 as in your tag. Following the bitterly acrimonious departure of Roger Waters they've been nothing but a brand name ever since.

A

Anonymous

jaxwired:

I really don't understand how people can listen to stairway to heaven for the 28,000th time...kinda makes me nauseous to even think about it.

well then don't get married ... you will get nauseous when you hear your wife's voice daily for 50+ years

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Azim1979:Has anything good been recorded since Pink Floyd at their best?
If so, please let me know what - I want to expand my CD collection, but I keep returning to Pink Floyd (and Dire Straits) as most CDs I try sound boring!
No. Still speechless.

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
jaxwired:
You've got to be kidding me! The internet has sparked a resurgence in quality music. There is sooooo much fanstastic music out there now!!! You do have to dig around a bit for it, but it's so much easier than it was even 10 years ago. Go to last.fm and type in your favorite artist and hit the "similar artists" link.

I agree jax. not a dig at anyone on here. but on other forums or in real life. i often hear somone lament at how there are no longer any 'good films, albums, actors, singers' etc. they hark back to some Golden Age that they remember.

But interestingly the examples of stuff that they loved, apart from being from thier youth (when they did search, or were part of a social group that sought out quality) are pretty mainstream, even back in their day. when they give examples of everything thats wrong they quote, hollywood blockbusters as having no good scripts, and of simon cowell type cash cows or boy bands etc.

when you young, most are looking for an identity, have a large peer group, no other worries or distractions. music/films are a huge part of your life. as you get older these often take a back seat. the stereo can get put in an awkward place, the subscription to NME/Blue and soul (whatever youtr taste, has long gone) the parties dry up. the social scene disintergrates. and many are left watching a TV and only being bombarded with adverts for bland mainstream music.x factor. hollywood carcrash blocbbusters.

and then one day on a forum. they just suddenly say. everythings rubbish now.

But as yoiu say jax, theres never been a better time to discover inteleligent filmakers from all over the globe. or excellent recording artists. but you have to get in there. roll ur sleeves up and have a good dig around.

artists that I have discovered in the last 10 years becuase of internet links/searches reccommends (allbeit not all new) for myself. as there wasnt a cat in hells chance anyone was going to package them up and sell them to me via commerical radio or TV are:

Paco de Lucia

israel kamikowole

Terry Callier

Tierney Sutton ( just from a comment that said if u like Norah jones try this girl shes better)

Jose padilla

Coke Escavado

Ruth brown

Cassandra Wilson

Lizz Wright

just a few. they may not be to the taste of say a Floyd lover. But then I dont like them. so i wont be in that area. But im sure theres loads out there that would suit that taste.

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Azim1979:Has anything good been recorded since Pink Floyd at their best?

Homer Simpson:Everyone knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact.

A

Anonymous

Cheer up Azim! There's life out there. Go and have a listen to The Flaming Lips/Embryonic cd!

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
method man:artists that I have discovered in the last 10 years becuase of internet links/searches reccommends (allbeit not all new) for myself. as there wasnt a cat in hells chance anyone was going to package them up and sell them to me via commerical radio or TV...

Spot on. I haven't listened to commercial radio in 15 years. That's what's so great about using the internet to find music. You can find the really good stuff that isn't being marketed to 13 year old girls. I use Amazon for all my clip listening. I used Amazon, last.fm, paste, and cdbaby to search for music.

I am extremely happy with the music I have purchased this way over the last few years. And it has allowed me to be far, far more discriminating than used to be possible. In the 90's, it was extremely hard to find well recorded acoustic pop or folk rock music. No way to find it and since there was no way to market it, little was created. I had to buy jazz CDs just to get great recordings and I prefer music with vocals. Since the internet changed everything, I have purchased zero jazz.

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
in the early days of file sharing, i used to find a track i liked from somone sharing u could then go into the users folder of music, and pick out some other stuff on spec so to speak, based on the hope that other stuff they had might be to taste.

of course now we have spotify and napster, all legal. with good links and reccommends. you mention amazon jax. i still like that when i peruse peoples lists. that can open new avenues.

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
At the risk of being repetative, you should listen to Muse "The Resistance".
If you really want to push the boat out, audition the 5.1 DTS version.

Outstanding production, clever lyrics and great music from Great Britain.
emotion-21.gif
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts