Has anything good been recorded since Pink Floyd at their best?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
gpi:

A few times, what all the way through? You did well. :D

Re this thread: There now follows umpteen pages of members' favourite bands, which will be completely meaningless to the OP. I've not heard of some of them and I haven't been trapped in a time bubble since 1983.

Lol .

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Muse (their new cd is very well recorded)
Metaliic (S&M)
Nick Cave (Abbatoir Blues)
Bjork (Medulla)
Radiohead (so many..)
Queens of the Stone Age
Tracy Chapman (fast cars)
Arctic Monkeys (Humbug)
......there is so many more, enjoy :)

A

Anonymous

one off:

ds love over gold on vinyl and brothers in arms on cd still remain wonderful productions and recordings however not to mention the man himself zappa

Hell yeah. He was recording mind-bendingly good stuff well, well after Floyd peaked.

The music industry today is worse than it used to be in a number of ways, for sure. But there are always people out there worthy of your consideration. It's just that now such stuff is rarely seen making waves in commercial charts, whereas in the 70s (particularly, in my view, '65-'75), the charts were overloaded with brilliant musical creations. But these days fortunately we also have better tools at our disposal for finding what's good out there (and making it available to us at the click of a button), as well as a wealth of smaller scale live options doing the rounds, with scores of immensely talented but little known jazz and/or blues lineups.

Difficult to find good prog these days, though, that's for sure (unless you venture into prog metal, which has some pretty skillful and entertaining practitioners), and I do admit that the overwhelming majority of my music collection consists of stuff recorded/composed before I was born ('79).

A

Anonymous

Azim1979:

Has anything good been recorded since Pink Floyd at their best?

I am a Floyd fan too.

As it is the 30th year since the release of The Wall, just recently a music magazine ( not sure if I'm allowed to mention it- Austin Powers lost his? ) had a free cd of the first ( 2nd next month) CD/Album of the Wall by new artists, on its front cover. I have not heard of any of them.

BUT, I think it is an excllent re-working, considering the different styles used, it works very, very well.

Certainly not Floyd but well worth a listen. Try it!!

Ed.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Hmmm. Just bought Relics today but I reckon there's one or two bands that you might like. Off the top of my head, I'd recommend....

Nine Inch Nails - these are great. Try The Slip. It used to be a free lossless download.

Elbow are a good listen as are Radio Head. Try Seldom Seen Kid and OK Computer respectively.

Presumably you've heard of Steely Dan. If not, give them a try. Very "clean" music. Good lyrics. Excellent musicians. Can be a bit jazzy at times? Pretzel Logic was my first album and that's where I'd recommend you start with this band.

Talking Heads have produced a few classic albums. How about Little Creatures.

Another to try is The The. Great lyrics. Great music. Great band. Try Infected.

And you could always give the Travelling Wilburys a listen.....

matthewpiano

jaxwired: I had to buy jazz CDs just to get great recordings and I prefer music with vocals. Since the internet changed everything, I have purchased zero jazz.

I'm speechless jaxwired. Are you actually suggesting that you have purchased music based on its recording quality rather than the actual content??

In answer to the initial post, there has been loads of good music out there, both contemporary to Pink Floyd and from after that period.

Pink Floyd were great at their peak, but so are the first 9 Barclay James Harvest albums, the earlier Genesis, the first few Strawbs, the Sandy Denny period of Fairport Convention, the classic 7 Moody Blues albums, the King Crimson stuff, several of Caravan's albums etc. etc.

In terms of stuff since then I'd certainly start by picking out:

Maestoso (particularly Caterwauling and Grim - both excellent albums)
The Pineapple Thief
Radiohead
Muse
Diagonal
Panic Room
Dead Like Harry

matthewpiano

the record spot:Oh yes and mustn't forget the superb "The Liberty of Norton Folgate" - the most recent album from Madness. Very, very good stuff...

Agreed. I'm not actually a Madness fan but I think 'The Liberty...' is a superb album.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
dim_span:gpi:dim_span:

read a few reviews ... this is supposed to be very good

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...d&hl=en&rlz=1T4GGLL_en-GBGB303GB303&sa=N&um=1http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...d&hl=en&rlz=1T4GGLL_en-GBGB303GB303&sa=N&um=1

Full marks for the short url link,lol. As for the Captain, Noooooooooooooooooooooooo! Definitely one of those albums you should hear before you die. Just the once mind. ;)

worst buy I have ever made ... tried listening a few times and just don't get it? .... bought it after reading rave reviews

Supposedly, Beefheart et al shacked up in some place in the middle of nowhere and lived on cabbages and LSD until the album was done....or am I remembering that wrong?

malg

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
Very emotional subject music, probably just as likely to cause a good argument as politics or religion. Everyone has their own taste, and most of the time has no understanding of why someone else does not agree with them..

Pink Floyd are a case in question. I have tried to listen to them on many occasions, but just don't get them. I will also never, ever understand why people listen to Robbie Williams, or any other karaoke based artist, as I once again just don't get it. I have read most of the posts on here, and can see the music bores are out in force. I remember students in the 80s (probably the same in the 90s and now) who always tried to have the tshirt with the band no one else was listening to. This was invariably just to be different, and was more a fashion statement than anything to do with the music. The favourite tshirt at the time was The Velvet Underground. I would doubt if any of them listened to Lou Reed, and probably went back to their digs at night to put Haircut 100 or Spandau Ballet on (not slagging either of them off by the way).

The best bit of advice I've seen on here is the poster who recommended Last.fm. This is an excellent site, and the 'similar artists' option is very good.

manicm

PJPro:Hmmm. Just bought Relics today but I reckon there's one or two bands that you might like. Off the top of my head, I'd recommend.... Nine Inch Nails - these are great. Try The Slip. It used to be a free lossless download. Elbow are a good listen as are Radio Head. Try Seldom Seen Kid and OK Computer respectively. Presumably you've heard of Steely Dan. If not, give them a try. Very "clean" music. Good lyrics. Excellent musicians. Can be a bit jazzy at times? Pretzel Logic was my first album and that's where I'd recommend you start with this band. Talking Heads have produced a few classic albums. How about Little Creatures. Another to try is The The. Great lyrics. Great music. Great band. Try Infected. And you could always give the Travelling Wilburys a listen.....

I love Steely Dan - try their double-CD Showbiz Kids collection - completely brilliant - their music might be clean - but their lyrics are anything but.

And their song Deacon Blues is probably one of my favourites of all the time - it's up there with Lennon/McCartney et al.

A

Anonymous

In the spirit of Prog:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Pure Reason Revolution
Mogwai

More leaning towards pop:

Sparklehorse (I know someone else mentioned them)
Ramona Falls

Enjoy!

A

Anonymous

I'm sure that the OP had his tongue firmly in his cheek when he started this thread (well I hope so anyway!)

A thread like this triggers two responses - either the last 4 pages of "here are lots of stuff you've never heard of, but I like 'em and so should you" or the alternative view " yeah Pink floyd were great, but they never produced anything of worth after Syd Barrett left",

The reality of course that is that there's been loads of fantastic music in the past 35 years since the mid 70's, it's just that we have to get off our bums and go out and look for it. If there was no good music there'd be no need for hi fi.

koolkeith

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
You don't even have to get off your bum. There are are lots of recomended lists on the web. Most of these can be had for a pittance.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/series/1000-songs-everyone-must-hear

http://www.rocklistmusic.co.uk/guardian100.htm

Of course you have remove your head from the sand & and acknowledge that Pink Floyd or the Manic Street wotever do not represent the zenith of mankinds achievement.

A

Anonymous

I'll second the cry for postrock, Godspeed you! black emperor, and the side projects ('A Silver Mount. Zion' et al) are worth checking out, as are:

Earth - The Bees Made Honey in the Lions Skull --- (slow majestic heavy rock. think a slow clean instrumental black sabbath)

Air - Virgin Suicides OST --- (accomplished electronic, a dark floyd-y sound)

Battles - Mirrored --- (new-prog, a heavier genesis with manipulated vocals)

Leafcutter John - Microcastle --- (clicky electronic minimalism)

Squarepusher - Ultravisitor (post-IDM genre spanning bass magic)

You could also try services like last.fm to search around artists you already like, or finding some blogs related to genres that will be of much use. Enjoy the journey.

jdp1962

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
pluto78:Joe Bonamassa, the finest electric bluesman on the planet right now. Only about 33 years old but was playing with BB King at age 12. Awesome!

What you said. This guy makes my hair stand up on its end.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:I'm trying to work out whether this is about music or recording. Irrespective of musical taste, the question feels faintly absurd...

I`m sure it`s about music and the guy is saying that Pink Floyd are his favourites and hasn`t found anything since then to compare. I don`t think the OP was made tongue in cheek and I`m not saying this guy is one though I have come across Pink Floyd snobs in the past who listen to Floyd, Floyd and yet more Floyd and anything else ever recorded by anyone other than Floyd falls way short of Floyd`s standards. Their loss.There was a particularly obnoxious fan who wrote to Record Collector some years ago on the subject though I can`t remember exactly what they said now.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
malg:

I have read most of the posts on here, and can see the music bores are out in force.

No need for that. Shame as most of the rest of your post was pretty sound.

Guy starts thread ASKING for help to expand his cd collection and shock horror, fellow music lovers respond with suggestions. And on a What Hi Fi forum too. Whatever next?

John Duncan

survivor:
JohnDuncan:I'm trying to work out whether this is about music or recording. Irrespective of musical taste, the question feels faintly absurd...

I`m sure it`s about music and the guy is saying that Pink Floyd are his favourites and hasn`t found anything since then to compare. I don`t think the OP was made tongue in cheek and I`m not saying this guy is one though I have come across Pink Floyd snobs in the past who listen to Floyd, Floyd and yet more Floyd and anything else ever recorded by anyone other than Floyd falls way short of Floyd`s standards. Their loss.There was a particularly obnoxious fan who wrote to Record Collector some years ago on the subject though I can`t remember exactly what they said now.

See, I'm not so sure - the OP talks here about recording quality...

A

Anonymous

When you pick the music you listen to based on recording quality its time to give up on music. How anyone can find Dire Straits exciting is beyond me. I like some of their stuff but its music to dunk biscuits to.

John Duncan

All music is music to dunk biscuits to.

Anyway, a selection of albums that are well recored:

Famous Blue Raincoat - Jennifer Warnes
High - The Blue Nile
Surfacing and Fumbling Towards Ecstacy - Sarah McLachlan
Whole New You - Shawn Colvin
O - Damien Rice
'IV' and So - Peter Gabriel
Anything by Kate Bush from Hounds of Love onwards
Musical Fidelity's Anthony Michaelson - Mozart's Clarinet Concerto.
As noted previously - Radiohead's later albums (if you can survive them)
Most things I've heard by Diana Krall (see Radiohead comment above)
Both Sides Now - Joni Mitchell
Jim Moray - Low Culture
Eastmountainsouth - Eastmountainsouth
And their singer/songwriter Peter Bradley Adams' two solo albums - Leavetaking and Gather Up

That should get you started, will think some more

matthewpiano

bobbyg81:When you pick the music you listen to based on recording quality its time to give up on music.

Completely agree. Its much more pleasant when it IS well recorded but the music has to come first. I know people who only listen to Jazz - not because they like the music, but because it makes their hi-fi sound good. Unbelievable. (I'm not slagging jazz off BTW - I love it, but for its musical content).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts