Has anything good been recorded since Pink Floyd at their best?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

If youre bored of what your listening to try and listen to some genres out of your comfort zone. If you mainly listen to 70s prog or MOR guitar stuff go the opposite way.

Get involved in some electronica for example. Boards of Canada being a relatively easy way into the genre. Then youve got Plaid, Autechre, Aphex Twin, Prefuse 73, Two Lone Swordsmen etc.

If thats going too far from your usual try some Massive Attack, Morcheeba, Portishead for a bit trip hop.

Groove Armada never let you down either.

I myself got bored listening to this lot and discovered John Prine. Not a fan of country but this guys debut album is outstanding. Look for 'Angel of Montgomery'. Beautiful!

Im currently right into Jacques Brel, Serge Gainsbourg and Tom Waits.

I also think that Sigur Ros are making some of the best music of the last decade.

Spotify should sort you out with a preview of most of the above so you can try before you buy. Hope this helps. I didnt want to just recommend more of the same.

A

Anonymous

How about some Pocurpine Tree, Mastadon, Krunder and Dorfmeister, Thievery Corporation

A

Anonymous

Leftism

Nitin Sawhney's cd's are great

Many mix CD's are quality. The rennaisance master series to mention one.

LeJockey, what villalobos stuff do you recommend? Ive heard him at fabric a couple of times......

A

Anonymous

Gander:
Leftism

Nitin Sawhney's cd's are great

Many mix CD's are quality. The rennaisance master series to mention one.

LeJockey, what villalobos stuff do you recommend? Ive heard him at fabric a couple of times......

I would recomend 'dexter' as a good starting point. achingly beautiful. Have a browse on youtube, there are lots on there. Not great sound, but can give you a good 'try before you buy'. I have seen him at fabric a couple of times now, most notably on the tenth birthday. What a place. And room one, what a sound system! Cripsp, clear, detailed and SO loud. My all time favorite club :)

A

Anonymous

Speaking of Fabric, alot ot the Fabriclive cds are great. The Scratch Perverts one being my favourite. Also good are Death In Vegas and Cut Copy ones.

Speaking of which Death In Vegas are a must listen. The Contino Sessions is unbelievably good..Awesome live too.

manicm

1978:Azim1979:

Has anything good been recorded since Pink Floyd at their best?

If so, please let me know what - I want to expand my CD collection, but I keep returning to Pink Floyd (and Dire Straits) as most CDs I try sound boring!

System:

Talk Electronics Thunder 3 (+ 0.5 Whirlwind PSU) CD player

Exposure 17 / 18s pre/power amp

Epos ES14

Cable Talk 3.1 biwire / Kimber PBJ

Russ Andrews mains cables/block, and no "enjoyment killing" mains conditioner!

Has anything good been recorded since Nirvana's Nevermind or Suede's Dog Man Star or U2's Achtung Baby ? Or Michael Jackson's Thriller or Orbital's Snivilisation or Tool's Aenima ? No I don't think there's been anything good recorded since Pink Floyd at their best...

Actually I laughed when Kurt Cobain died, but in 1996 when Manic Street Preachers released Everything Must Go I cried and was gobsmacked at its brilliance - and A Design Of Life is arguably one the greatest songs ever written - ever. The whole album is essential.

Also, listening to The Holy Bible - in the song 4st7lb - well could anyone write such exquisite lyrics and music about anorexia?

I think these 2 successive albums put all the rock pretenders in their place.

Vimeous

Aug 19, 2008
Visit site
Some great suggestions, some stuff I must check out and the odd one I'd dispute. Gotta love it :)

Tool, Mastodon, Radiohead and Muse are all fine suggestions that approach your preferred musical bent from different angles.

Generally I'd add Pearl Jam - Ten and Soundgarden - Blackhole Sun from the '90's with Metallica's S&M, Alanis Morrisette's Jagged Little Pill and Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile from more recent years.

Most recently I've found Newton Faulker's first two albums have some jems

Oh and if they ever release the full Queen of the Damned soundtrack with Jonathan Davis's original songs from the film it might be worth a peek.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
bobbyg81:
If youre bored of what your listening to try and listen to some genres out of your comfort zone. If you mainly listen to 70s prog or MOR guitar stuff go the opposite way.

Get involved in some electronica for example. Boards of Canada being a relatively easy way into the genre. Then youve got Plaid, Autechre, Aphex Twin, Prefuse 73, Two Lone Swordsmen etc.

If thats going too far from your usual try some Massive Attack, Morcheeba, Portishead for a bit trip hop.

Groove Armada never let you down either.

I myself got bored listening to this lot and discovered John Prine. Not a fan of country but this guys debut album is outstanding. Look for 'Angel of Montgomery'. Beautiful!

Im currently right into Jacques Brel, Serge Gainsbourg and Tom Waits.

I also think that Sigur Ros are making some of the best music of the last decade.

Spotify should sort you out with a preview of most of the above so you can try before you buy. Hope this helps. I didnt want to just recommend more of the same.

Some good suggestions here. I would add The Stone Roses and Ian Brown's Music of the Spheres, and all Radiohead albums.

koolkeith

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
These are the people that matter. Forget about Pink Floyd etc for a month & listen only to these. Try it it'll change your life. All Music will tell you which records to get.

Al Green

Chic

Eric Dolphy

Smokey Robinson

Beach Boys

Linda Jones

Larry Levan

The Free Design

Joni Mitchell

Gillian Welch

Hank Williams

Timi Yuro

The Band

Lynsey De Paul

Marvin Gaye

Ornette Coleman

Blossom Dearie

Joanna Newsom

Luther VanDross

Laura Nyro

Randy Newman

Frank Sinatra

Walter Gibbons

The Delfonics

Detroit Spinners

Keith Murray

Joao Gilberto

Marcos Valle

Bill Evans

Arve Henriksen

Prefab Sprout

The Trammps

Big L

J Dilla

The Supremes

Allan Sherman

Soul Children

OV Wright

Trefor Patten

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Listen to anything ANYTHING mind, on the ECM label. Most of the stuff on Real World, ACT and Nonsuch and the whole question becomes irrelevent. AND there are loads of other labels with interesting stuff on them. Failing that visit your local Jazz/folk/arts venue and listen to real people playing real instruments.

A

Anonymous

Possibly a bit "out there" as it probably falls within the "metal" genre but Lateralus by Tool is a masterpiece.

For something outside of the metal genre why not listen to the fantastic Ben Folds, I would recommend Whatever and Ever Amen by Ben Folds Five. Not exactly recent (mid 90's I think) but hey.

There is even lots of great "pop" music around at the moment. Listen to Manners by Passion Pit.

There is so much great music around. I think the problem is that you always go back to music from your youth as it's probably what has made the biggest impression on you overall.

A

Anonymous

gpi:dim_span:

read a few reviews ... this is supposed to be very good

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...d&hl=en&rlz=1T4GGLL_en-GBGB303GB303&sa=N&um=1http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...d&hl=en&rlz=1T4GGLL_en-GBGB303GB303&sa=N&um=1

Full marks for the short url link,lol. As for the Captain, Noooooooooooooooooooooooo! Definitely one of those albums you should hear before you die. Just the once mind. ;)

worst buy I have ever made ... tried listening a few times and just don't get it? .... bought it after reading rave reviews

T

the record spot

Andrew Everard:
Azim1979:Has anything good been recorded since Pink Floyd at their best?

There must be something - I mean, it's been 40 years...

I'd have tended to agree, until hearing a magnificent version of Meddle recently. Superb album, knocks the spots off anything they ever did, never mind anyone else.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Try Amused to Death by Roger Waters. Its very good. It ranks behind darkside of the moon, the wall and wish you were here as his best work in my opinon.

T

the record spot

Oh yes and mustn't forget the superb "The Liberty of Norton Folgate" - the most recent album from Madness. Very, very good stuff...

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
dim_span:gpi:dim_span:

read a few reviews ... this is supposed to be very good

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...d&hl=en&rlz=1T4GGLL_en-GBGB303GB303&sa=N&um=1http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...d&hl=en&rlz=1T4GGLL_en-GBGB303GB303&sa=N&um=1

Full marks for the short url link,lol. As for the Captain, Noooooooooooooooooooooooo! Definitely one of those albums you should hear before you die. Just the once mind. ;)

worst buy I have ever made ... tried listening a few times and just don't get it? .... bought it after reading rave reviews

A few times, what all the way through? You did well. :D

Re this thread: There now follows umpteen pages of members' favourite bands, which will be completely meaningless to the OP. I've not heard of some of them and I haven't been trapped in a time bubble since 1983.

A

Anonymous

op theres been lots of stuff since pf and ds which is brilliantly recorded the problem is you love both bands so much others for you dont come close

the other problem as was commented before are your speakers which are holding back your system

bang on some paradigms spendors or totems and youll be amazed at just how much good music is out there

by the way some pf isnt particularly well produced or recorded as the sound can be sterile at times

ds love over gold on vinyl and brothers in arms on cd still remain wonderful productions and recordings however not to mention the man himself zappa

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Try these albums -

Mostly Autumn - `For All We Shared`

Mostly Autumn - `Spirit Of Autumn Past`

Mostly Autumn - `The Last Bright Light`

Mostly Autumn - `Storms Over Still Water`

Marillion - `Marbles`

Bryan Josh is the guitarist in Mostly Autumn and is a huge Pink Floyd fan which is one of the reasons I am recommending this band to you. If you enjoy the four albums I`ve listed then go for another album they`ve made called `Passengers`.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts