Has anyone made there own speaker stand?

Tinman1952

Hi , was planning on making my own speaker stands, from solid wood. Has anyone got any experience with this? Is it worth it?
Definitely worth it if you are reasonable at carpentry/diy 🙂 Wood is better than steel as it doesn't 'ring'. HiFi Racks oak stands are nice but can be very expensive. I made my own AV rack from three IKEA coffee tables....👍 You can get speaker spikes for the bottom of the stands on Amazon quite cheaply. Good luck!

Definitely worth it if you are reasonable at carpentry/diy 🙂 Wood is better than steel as it doesn't 'ring'. HiFi Racks oak stands are nice but can be very expensive. I made my own AV rack from three IKEA coffee tables....👍 You can get speaker spikes for the bottom of the stands on Amazon quite cheaply. Good luck!
If you decide to go with spikes the tricky bit is fitting them so they can be adjusted. Which is perhaps why I wouldn't go for spikes.

D

Deleted member 196519

My B&W Formation Duo currently sit on a coffee table and chest of drawers for the other all made out of wood. Doesn’t seem to matter with sound quality either - just as good.

Snake charmer

Nov 17, 2021
Visit site
Thanks all for the feedback. ive just made my own hiding unit out of old scaffolding boards, not quite finished yet but is looking pretty cool..very heavy, so have experience doing carpentry. Have started the stands today, will look into the spikes…do they make a huge difference?

Tinman1952

Thanks all for the feedback. ive just made my own hiding unit out of old scaffolding boards, not quite finished yet but is looking pretty cool..very heavy, so have experience doing carpentry. Have started the stands today, will look into the spikes…do they make a huge difference?
Well this can be almost as divisive as cables to some.....
Here is an explanation of why you use them. I will let you draw your own conclusion 🙂

Well this can be almost as divisive as cables to some.....
Here is an explanation of why you use them. I will let you draw your own conclusion 🙂
It's one way of looking at it but I would disagree with the isolation bit as it is unlikely any vibrations from the floor up are likely to effect the speakers. What it does do is connect the stands / speakers to the floor which is may be what you don't want to do if you have a suspended wooden floor.... But really it's pretty much horse for courses.

manicm

What worked wonders for me was a pair of well-made wooden bedside pedestals from a good furniture shop. The sound firmed up very well.

Mine had 2 drawers but the wood was thick, and the pedestals sturdy and stable, with 4 short legs.

The one in the pic here has a solid base. I placed my MA RX1s on them using the supplied gel pads.

Attachments

• 3300068_a.png
    3300068_a.png
    311.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts