Has anyone bought an OLED or are planning to?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

Preferably in the near future I was asking about? Cheers.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Still on the fence personally gel. What I've seen of OLED so far has impressed me hugely but several factors remain that are putting me off.

Of course price is the biggest factor right now as production remains expensive but there is the blue issue that remains unless you buy an LG set. There is also the blooming 4K market too so to future proof myself I would want a 4K OLED which won't come cheap and only now seem to be appearing. There is also the issue of image retention which really puts me off as I've been through that with plasma so for now I intend to hold off until I'm happy all my concerns have been addressed.

Are you thinking about getting an OLED TV then gel?

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
Still on the fence personally gel. What I've seen of OLED so far has impressed me hugely but several factors remain that are putting me off.

Of course price is the biggest factor right now as production remains expensive but there is the blue issue that remains unless you buy an LG set. There is also the blooming 4K market too so to future proof myself I would want a 4K OLED which won't come cheap and only now seem to be appearing. There is also the issue of image retention which really puts me off as I've been through that with plasma so for now I intend to hold off until I'm happy all my concerns have been addressed.

I think I would like one, yep. I like the fact they are so light too, they would be perfect for my stand. I think when 4K Blu-ray players come out I will buy one then. So in about 2-3 years time, perhaps sooner.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Oldboy said:
Of course price is the biggest factor right now as production remains expensive but there is the blue issue that remains unless you buy an LG set.

Well, prices are coming down fast as panel production yields increase, while LG is supplying other manufacturers with OLED panels, eliminating problems with uneven diode ageing.

Oldboy said:
There is also the blooming 4K market too so to future proof myself I would want a 4K OLED which won't come cheap and only now seem to be appearing.

A 65" LG 4K OLED TV should retail at £4,000 next month (based on current exchange rates). There's no confirmation yet that LG will sell the 55" model here. If they do it could be very competitively priced.

Oldboy said:
There is also the issue of image retention which really puts me off as I've been through that with plasma so for now I intend to hold off until I'm happy all my concerns have been addressed.

Not sure I can allay your fears about image retention. The proof will be in the owning, I guess.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
gel said:
Oldboy said:

I think I would like one, yep. I like the fact they are so light too, they would be perfect for my stand. I think when 4K Blu-ray players come out I will buy one then. So in about 2-3 years time, perhaps sooner.

Yep I'm most certainly interested and it's getting nearer to the point where I may consider upgrading but I remain very happy with the set I have now so I'm in no hurry what so ever.

It would have to be a 4K one though or not at all as with the players and discs due next year it would seem foolish to buy a 1080p OLED.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Strapped,

Many thanks for the info. I had no idea that LG were going to start supplying panels to other manufacturers so that does indeed seem to be some good news.

I did see the price for the 65 inch but a 55 inch would be what I would go for so if they drop to around the £2500 mark then I will be very interested but I think we are still a little way away from reaching that price point. That's as much as I can spend on a new TV really but I'm in no rush and the image retention is still a concern for me so I'm hoping a little more time in development may see the issue solved fingers crossed.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Samsung won't buy LG OLED panels as a matter of pride/principle. The same is arguably true of the major Japanese brands.

This is a shame, because LG's rivals may seek to shut down OLED by not supporting the technology. (Samsung may press on with its own OLED models.)

However, LG is supplying OLED panels to Chinese and Turkish manufacturers, with the latter re-badging its products as Linsar and Finlux for certain European markets.

Meanwhile, Grundig, of all companies, has showcased a 4K OLED TV using an LG panel. This will reportedly retail in Germany for €1,200. This could prove a bargain. It might be trash. UK consumers would of course have to import and deal with foreign retailers in the event of problems.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
Panasonic's OLED prototype was an LG panel. Sony has also used LG panels in some of its past models. They can't afford to have a pride if they want to remain competitive.

LG would need to sell a substantial number of OLED televisions to challenge LED tech's dominance; and as we know from plasma, the technology offering the best picture doesn't always win out.

I think it's equally likely that other manufacturers will close ranks.

strapped for cash said:
bigboss said:
Panasonic's OLED prototype was an LG panel. Sony has also used LG panels in some of its past models. They can't afford to have a pride if they want to remain competitive.

LG would need to sell a substantial number of OLED televisions to challenge LED tech's dominance; and as we know from plasma, the technology offering the best picture doesn't always win out.

I think it's equally likely that other manufacturers will close ranks.

There were more reasons for plasma to die:

1) They couldn't make 4K screens.

2) They were struggling to keep up with tougher energy regulations.

This is not an issue with OLED. Manufacturers look for the next catchphrase to sell TVs: HD, LED, 4K etc., and OLED has been successful in capturing the imagination of the consumer.

Yes, LG needs to make it popular until Samsung is able to crack the technology. It's certainly moving in the right direction, with keenly priced OLED TVs this year.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
There were more reasons for plasma to die:

1) They couldn't make 4K screens.

2) They were struggling to keep up with tougher energy regulations.

I wouldn't dispute either point, though plasma was always a niche product that of course drove Pioneer out of television production.

Videophiles bought plasma televisions. Most other people didn't. In economic terms, plasma could never compete with LCD/LED tech, and never proved a boon for any manufacturer.

bigboss said:
This is not an issue with OLED. Manufacturers look for the next catchphrase to sell TVs: HD, LED, 4K etc., and OLED has been successful in capturing the imagination of the consumer.

I'm not sure there's evidence that OLED has caught consumers' imagination. As with plasma, OLED advocates are typically videophiles, who still comprise a relatively small market.

bigboss said:
Yes, LG needs to make it popular until Samsung is able to crack the technology. It's certainly moving in the right direction, with keenly priced OLED TVs this year.

I wouldn't argue with this. There are encouraging signs, but OLED's success remains far from certain.

I'm not being negative. I want OLED to take off. And LG has already surmounted certain obstacles.

Further potential obstacles remain, however, including other manufacturers closing ranks to shut LG's technology down.

Ultimately it'll come down to economics. If there's more money to be made from LED televisions than OLED tech using a competitor's panels, OLED technology faces an uphill struggle.

Son_of_SJ said:
bigboss said:
If the buyer of my house wants my Kuro, I'll go for something like Samsung 55H7000 as I'll be using my projector for films.

Hello doctor, did you mean the Samsung 55HU7500? Very good indeed, but not as good as the 65HU7500 .......

No point in having a 65-inch TV, when I'm going to watch films on an 8 feet projector screen! :)

It's going to be a toss up between H7000 and HU7500, depending on what budget I'm left with.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I dont see the point in having a TV full stop - just watch everything on the projector.

After watching stuff on that I couldnt bring myself to seriously watch a portable size by comparison TV unless I had no choice.

It may use more electricity, or you may need to replace bulbs, but you may also die the next day and you will have regretted not spending more time infront of the PJ

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
No point in having a 65-inch TV, when I'm going to watch films on an 8 feet projector screen! :)

It's going to be a toss up between H7000 and HU7500, depending on what budget I'm left with.

Yes, I certainly can't argue with an 8-foot projector screen!!

I'm not sure about the Samsung H7000 series, but all the reviews that I have seen (about five now on various magazines and forums) about various sizes of the HU7500 series have been almost glowingly positive. For example, this one right here in What Hi-Fi's own online pages http://www.whathifi.com/samsung/ue55hu7500/review This is a reprint from a group test of five 4K TVs in the September 2014 issue of What Hi-Fi, and the Samsung was the winner.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Getting back to the main subject of this thread, for me personally right now, in September 2014, I would wait to see how the OLED technology develops. If I could lay my hands on my pension fund I'm much more likely to buy a (flat, not curved) 4K set.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
If the PJ is that good there is no need for a TV. Why would you bother watching the TV when you can watch in full 8 foot glory

Spend the £1k on a better PJ and better screen and definately a calibration on the PJ.

For me 65" fits in the middle - without the hassle of worrying about bulb life - although the PJ is the ultimate in terms of picture size so therefore the ultimate really

Back to OLED - I dont see why people are worried - get 5 year warranty I bet there will be no need to use it in the 5 years.

5 years time 3 or 4 new things will be out and your wont care as much about the TV then anyway. such is is the throw away as something new is out every year world we live in :)

D

Deleted member 2457

Check it out now, the funk soul brother right about now:

http://www.totaldigital.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43_160&products_id=5040

Cool or what? *dirol*

D

Deleted member 2457

I sent John Lewis website a price match and they turned it down. For some reason they said Total Digital and Premier Centre don't trade under the same name so no. That is bs if you ask me but there you go. I might try my local John Lewis or just give it a miss and wait.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts