Harmony Remote - Guidance required

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
OK, here is the scenario:

SKY+ HD box located centrally in the house in a cupboard

TV wall mounted in Living Room, and the TV is connected to the SKY box via HDMI.

Problem: Can't use the Sky remote as no line of sight owing to box being located elsewhere

Solution 1: Sky + app for iOS. Not ideal, as you cannot get Sky Guide or any of the settings to display on the TV, and at best trying to find something to watch can be 'painful' using an iPad

So:

Solution 2: a Harmony Remote?

I know nothing of these devices, but could it be used to mimic the Sky remote?

Having looked at Logitech's website I am none the wiser, so I'm looking for real world experience!

In essence, does the Harmony 'hub' live in the cupboard, and link to the Sky box via IR, and then the remote communicates to the hub?

Thanks in anticipation....

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Robin

But... does it do what I want it to?

Will it allow me to have a fully functioning remote (ala Sky) in the room where I need it?

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
MrW said:
Thanks Robin

But... does it do what I want it to?

Will it allow me to have a fully functioning remote (ala Sky) in the room where I need it?

I think you want something more like this clicky because the Harmony (at least the one I've got) is still only IR in line-of-sight

Sounds like you need a relay to the location of your Sky box and that is what this device does. I've used a similar one from one room to another

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks @visionary

I've seen this on Harmony's webiste and 'think' it might do what I need...

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/harmony-ultimate-hub?crid=60

It could live in the cupboard with everything else, use an IR extender which then allows the remote to communicate via Wi-Fi

Well... thats what I think it does!

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
From that site

"The Harmony Hub also allows you to control home theater devices located behind cabinets or walls. You don’t have to point your mobile phone or remote at your devices anymore. You don’t even have to be in the same room."

sounds like it does just what you want.

Nice find

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I've emailed Logitech to try and understand exactly what this does

At £69.99 it sounds like an absolute bargain

Fingers crossed, and I'll report back when Logitech get back to me

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Looks good @hammill, thanks

Just need Logitech to confirm this does what I need it to do

Otherwise back to the drawing board!

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Update:

Logitech are proving to be as useful as the proverbial chocolate teapot...

So far all they have confirmed is that this is compatible with my TV, which I already knew!

:?

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Update:

I conclude that Logitech's support team are nigh on useless.

They do not know if their system will do what I want it to

I think this may have something to do with 'Geoffrey' being based outside the UK and his inability to understand English

Shame

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
When setting up my Harmony One they were excellent. My TV would not switch on - advice by return email. My lighting was not listed on their database so they edited my settings online and all worked fine. Wonder if their recent ownership change has destryed their support? They also sent me a free battery after 2 years. Logitec.WERE great. Hopefully still are!

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I've had 2 harmony remotes with harmony one being the remote I currently use now. It works perfectly and controls everything in my signature below. You may have to play around to add more buttons but this is easily done.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts