Harmon Kardon AVR355

oxbose

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi WHF,

Ive seen the AVR355 at Richer Sounds for £400. Looking through your reviews you gave it 4 stars and said there is better out there for the money. At the time you wrote that the unit was £750. Due to this reduction, does it affect the 4 star rating?

Thx

A

Anonymous

I looked at the HK stuff when I was looking for an amp, and I deduced that you can get better for your money, despite the HK stuff looking awesome. I settled on a Cambridge Audio in the end after reading reviews and forum posts on here.

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
£400 naturally makes the H/K more attractive - but bear in mind that we've seen and heard the Sony STR-DA2400ES since we reviewed the AVR355, and even if you can't do better than the £500 Sony Centre price it's still a heck of a receiver for the money. It's the one I'd be trying to hear.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Simon Lucas:£400 naturally makes the H/K more attractive - but bear in mind that we've seen and heard the Sony STR-DA2400ES since we reviewed the AVR355, and even if you can't do better than the £500 Sony Centre price it's still a heck of a receiver for the money. It's the one I'd be trying to hear.

The Sony is also £400 at RS

oxbose

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Thx guys for the input.

So, for £400 would you say it was a fairly good deal? I just love the look of it. It kind of stands out, in a discreet way. I'm thinking of pairing this with some Monitor Audio Bronze BR5's. I had a demo of these speakers a couple of weeks ago and was really impressed for this budget. Ive seen the speakers for £375 a pair. So looking at £775, seems good to me, but I'm no expert...

Any thoughts?

Thx Oxbose

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
oxbose:So, for £400 would you say it was a fairly good deal?

Fairly good, yeah. But nothing like as good as the Sony at £400. Or the Denon AVR-1910 that Clare mentioned.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I agree with the Original poster, in that the HK is great looking.

However, if sound quality is of paramount importance to you, as it is to me, I would give it a miss.

I demo'd the 355 two weeks ago, using the Blu-ray of ' The dark knight'. It goes loud, very loud, but dialogue was muddled. Also, The sound lacked 'attack'. When bullets were hitting the police van, in one of the action scenes, there was no 'snap' to the sound.

It was a real disappointment, as I'd gone to the dealers with the intention of buying it.

Don't buy it blind, because it's cheap, make sure you have a listen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts