hard of hearing

aoili666

May 14, 2013
Visit site
This has probably been asked before [ although I can't find anything about it in these forums ]. At the great age that I now am, 64 and not counting,my hearing is pretty bad and watching most films and TV is an exercise in lip reading and guess work as far as dialogue is concerned, the special effects [ and all that b----y music that seems to be so essential nowadays ] rather overpower the speech. Can anyone reccomend an AV amp that can be adjusted for speech?.Also, what speakers would be beneficial to this problem. My budget is rather limited-- £300 or so. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Simplest solution would be to lift the level of the centre channel, which carries most of the dialogue, and back off on the front left and right channels.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

My Sony has a night mode button, which tends to boost dialogue, while cutting down on the effects and music noise.

I would think moist av amps would have this.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
What about a pair of cordless headphones? That's my dad's solution, and he's quite a bit older than you at 85. Some of them, including his Sen RS180's, have a compressor button, which raises the level of the quiet bits so you can hear the dialogue without having your head blown off during the loud bits.

aoili666

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I've tried subtitles but, for me at least, it seems to detract from watching the film, the headphones I have tried as well but they are a bit antisocial where the missus is concerned. I think I may go for the soundbar idea, any recommendations?, and also any suggestions if I decide to go for an amp.

Many thanks for the interest.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
You will be looking at budget avr's for £300,good selection tho...i would arrange with your local sevenoaks/richer sounds or av store for them to demonstrate some for you,but as has been mentioned you could realy do with a dedicated center speaker for dialogue... :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts