Harbeth vs IPL

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
plastic penguin said:
iQ Speakers said:
@FM sent you PM more than welcome to borrow a pair.?

PP You better believe it, that's one question I can categorically and unequivocally answer yes they are. Problem is it takes a certain kind to bother or indeed belive to come and listen. Those that do usually buy and save a fortune. These are my latest pair finished today ready to go out.?

?

No disrespect to you or your business, Colin but...

Well, all I can say is the other established speaker manufacturers (PMC, Spendor, B&W, Harbeth, Dynaudio...) had better shut up shop.

These brands spend millions (plus) a year on R&D, and let's face it, IPL are the Airfix of the speaker world.

Whenb I recently said to Cno that one of the best amp/speaker combos I've heard was Naim and PMC i series, he replied "that's a big claim". IMO not as big as IPL bettering established names that have over 40 years experience in the trade.

Anyway, I did say to the OP ask Colin for a dem pair and he can compare them to Harbeth and make his own mind up.

In my experience, I think you are seriously underestimating these speakers. The floorstanders Colin brought to my house were comparable to proacs at more than double the price.

Your atcs?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
The ATC's are made in Gloucsestershire by a small design led company who's passion is sound quality, they offer far better sound for the money than most commercial speakers, (simular to Harbeth in this respect) IMO. I was very impressed! Having said that I didn't take the simular sized S4's

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I picked up the SM2's for home demo yesterday.
Demoed a few speakers at IQ Speakers while there.
These speakers are large, which is a plus for me.
I like to see my kit.
Early days of demo and not set up properly yet, not on proper stands, need to be around 6" or 20cm higher.
They play low notes well that my Quad's merely hint at.
Easy to listen to.
Very detailed yet no harshness at all.
Amazing what more bass does to the overall sound.
Good at low levels.

Watched Midsomer Murders last night at low levels.
A door bell actually sounded like a door bell.
Not a 'ding-dong' one but a 'brgbrgbrgbrg' one.
During demo at IQ Speakers I played a version of Star Wars main theme.
Opening is usually an-in-your-face mash of brass and strings.
Not this time!
In-your-face-drums!
Nice!
Looking forward to more testing and getting some stands. Might make some temporary ones for now.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Just bought 2 oak effect tables for under £10 each to use as stands.
Tweeter now at correct ear level.
So far so good.
Where I had them before they had a midrange/voice issue but now seem ok.
Should be a fun evening!

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I might not bother with a Harbeth demo now.
I've demoed them before, not at home though.
I did some research about them and found some posts I had made regarding my experience.
To paraphrase, they were ok, easy to listen to but a bit boring.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
the IPL speakers, FennerMachine; I've been to a few HiFi shows and listened to a lot of speakers, none of which have given the detail, depth and good old fashioned grin factor of a similar physical sized IPL kit. In some cases my smaller IPL's have sounded far better than bigger mainstream speakers and I'm pretty sure you found the same when you auditioned them at IQ's place. I listen mainly to prog/heavy rock but I can have a damn good time with Nina Simone too and everything in-between. As has been mentioned it's very difficult to convict into a non-mainstream product, and I fully understand those comments. Now that IQ has expanded into a full demo facility that particular obstacle should be overcome. Furthermore, we see quite a lot of non-mainstream products mentioned here insofar as amps, TT's, CDP's, and some pretty extravagant speakers. Mention kits though and the general concensus is oh no they can't be that good. Well, they are. I bought into IPL as I knew what I wanted but couldn't find it, and it was only a 'maybe' that IPL could deliver, even after chatting to Ivan at IPL it was 60/40 at best. I don't know how you feel but I'll probably never buy mainstream speakers again unless I hear something better for the money I've spent, even double the money.. and I know for sure it isn't gonna happen soon.

Enjoy!

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Paul for you excellent write up those S4's are pretty special do you have any pics?

Indeed PP evidently they sound simular and suposed to be exceptional. They are next up on my demo stock, I have avoided them so far as I need to get the MDF CNC made. They seem to be about the correct size for most people.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
One issue, I think they have too much bass for my room as they are.
Voices still have an issue at lowest frequencies and bass dominates during movies.
I've bunged up the front ports with clean socks. Hope this is ok to do Boggit?
This has taken off the excess bass.
Going to give them a good testing like this.
Whatever the outcome with these speakers I won't now be satisfied with the Quads!
I like the overall sound of these IPL speakers.
I'm sure if these are not suitable another IPL pair will be.
Hopefully port bungs will do the job.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
As long as they are ladies socks! One thing possible is to add more internal acoustic foam at present only half the cabinet has the foam. I'm going to build some M2's next the only issue you may have with these are there rear ported. The SM1 is front ported and uses the same drivers as the S2TLK you heard the only thing I don't like about it is the off centre port!

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
What would more foam do?
Is there a recommended amount to use?
Only have man socks but washed at 60 degrees.
I know some builders wear tights during winter but I'm not a builder...

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
The S2TLK had very fast and tight bass.
Would they work in 11'5" x 12'8" room?
These SM2's are nice but too warm/bass heavy as they are.
Removed socks as affecting overall balance.
Would extra foam fix the bass issue and give them a flatter response lower down?
Don't fancy a smaller standmount but wouldn't hurt to try some.
Open to suggestions and advice about size and type of speaker to suit my room.
Might even try the S2TLK's.

TRENDING THREADS