Hairline scratches on the top plate of new stands

randomfeaturezero

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone else had the experience of buying steel speakers stands to find hairline scratches on the top plate of the new stands? I bought the Dynaudio Stand 3 and the top plates have faint scratches, you literally need good short sight and a torch to see them but I was wondering why this has happened in the factory. The plates for the stands in question have cut outs in the middle. One plate has about 10-15 scratches, the othe 2. It's too late to send them back and I have filled them with sand. Obvioulsy you can't see it with the speakers on top but just as a matter of interest has anyone had the same thing? There's no way these marks were made during assembly and they are as fine as the end of a needle.?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The scratches will be made during manufacture as a result of the parts being stacked up against each other on the production line, or something similar. The manufacturers probably don't expect people will go up to them with a torch and a magnifying glass and start looking for minute imperfections like you might do with a Ferrari's paint job. They're not hand made by pixies and wrapped in feathers. They're speaker stands.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
If one stand has only got two scratches and the other 10 - 15 scratches, then you can do a comparison between the two stands by swapping them around and seeing if any audible inferiority 'follows' the more heavily scathed of the two stands. If you keep the speaker and cables in the same place and only move the stands, then it'll soon become clear if the scratches are audible or not.

To ensure you aren't altering the sound with small errors in positioning the stands during this test, you could use chalk or tape on the floor to mark out their positions exactly before moving them.

Let us know how it goes please.

Good luck.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:
If one stand has only got two scratches and the other 10 - 15 scratches, then you can do a comparison between the two stands by swapping them around and seeing if any audible inferiority 'follows' the more heavily scathed of the two stands.

Careful, Chebby. You're introducing expectation bias here! The scratches might change the sound for the better too. We need the OP to keep an open mind when doing the test!

randomfeaturezero

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
Cheers MajorFubar. You're on the way to curing my hypersensitive O.C.D. Perhaps you should become a counsellor!... I could get new top plates for £40 but it's a case that my brain is at fault as much as the scratches - as you say its manufacturing blemishes and with the speakers atop it's only me who knows they're there, but that is just me to a T... and the replacement ones could arrive with the same problem I guess

Thanks and a very Happy Christmas to you.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
If one stand has only got two scratches and the other 10 - 15 scratches, then you can do a comparison between the two stands by swapping them around and seeing if any audible inferiority 'follows' the more heavily scathed of the two stands. If you keep the speaker and cables in the same place and only move the stands, then it'll soon become clear if the scratches are audible or not.

To ensure you aren't altering the sound with small errors in positioning the stands during this test, you could use chalk or tape on the floor to mark out their positions exactly before moving them.

Good luck.

You forgot to mention that for it to be a fair test he needs to wear a blindforld while swapping the stands over.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
randomfeaturezero said:
I could get new top plates for £40

Or you could try doing what I would do in your situation.

Put the speakers on the stands without caring enough to take notice which stand is the scratched one. Then, and this is the really important part, never bother to think about the scratches again.

gasolin

steve_1979 said:
chebby said:

Good luck.

You forgot to mention that for it to be a fair test he needs to wear a blindforld while swapping the stands over.

What if you forget which speaker that are on the top plate with hairline scratches, left or right?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts