GUTTED ! What Proportion of this is my wifes fault ?

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Last night something terrible happened....My wife left a half full can of redbull on top of my Denon AVR2808 receiver, I went to move it not knowing it was half full and knocked it over in the process!! Tipping red bull into the grills of the amp! I truned the amp off as quick as I could but the room was already starting the fill up with the smell of Fired red bull! Since then I have tested the amp and its not good! The amp will work in Direct Mode ie plugging two analogue inputs and listening in sterreo, but all processing including picture have gone! The good news is I have on its way a brand new Pioneer SC-LX85 for Christmas! THe bad news is this has all happened days before I was putting this on ebay and was hoping to get around £250 for. I expresed my disapintment to my wife and suggested it was 70% my fault for knocking it over. But it was 30% her fault for putting a half full can of red bull on my amp - she wouldnt have any of it!! Whos fault is it ? :)

Paul.

My partner knows never to put fluid near electronics. Not cool. But it was my responsibility to tell her it was not cool. I won't even let Hollie put the post on top of my speakers, it's easier to enforce 'nothing goes on the stereo or laptops full stop' than 'some things are ok and some arnt'

ajjm65

Jan 22, 2008
Visit site
Think positively! You've already described the offending can as being half full, rather than half empty! Use the experience as a lever to go out and buy some new gear in the January sales. if you lay on a few more layers of guilt onto your missus she won't dare question the price of your purchases. Win, win!!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
My partner knows never to put fluid near electronics. Not cool. But it was my responsibility to tell her it was not cool. I won't even let Hollie put the post on top of my speakers, it's easier to enforce 'nothing goes on the stereo or laptops full stop' than 'some things are ok and some arnt'

Was that before or after you bopped her over the head with your club and dragged her by her hair to your cave...?

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard said:
Paul Hobbs said:

Was that before or after you bopped her over the head with your club and dragged her by her hair to your cave...?

I would have thought it was a case of having some common sense .

Paul.

Andrew Everard said:
Paul Hobbs said:

There is nothing wrong with setting up boundries in a relationship. Its no diferent then Hollie asking me not to dump dirty washing in a pile on the floor of the bedroom? I dont think its an unreasonable request, and I dont have redbull in my amplifier as a result.

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
it continues....

I said I will take responsibility for it as long as you NEVER put drinks on there again. SHe still claims that her putting the drink on there was no way involved with what happened!! I cant win...

Im now wondering if the Pioneer SC-LX85 was a wise choice!! So much money invested into what could be spent on one accident!:-S

Hmmm house insuranc not sure. I have the worst uck with everything. Had pro mountain bikes stolen,my built in oven blew up. My wifes hand bag got stolen, several more....... I am a few months off having a clean sheet from all those misfortunes and wonder if its worth the claim...

John Duncan

You don't need to add the caveat, I suspect that she is probably aware by now that putting a drink on the top of it was Not Such A Good Idea. It's just an amp. If said spillage had resulted in your wife being electrocuted, you'd be blaming yourself.

Understood about the insurance; repair shop ahoy then.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
If said spillage had resulted in your wife being electrocuted, you'd be blaming yourself.

Err, I don't get it? He spilt the drink so he'd be the one getting electrocuted, if SHE'D spilt the drink, after putting it on there herself, why would he blame himself, having had no involvement in the accident?

She's at fault for putting it on there in the first place, he's at fault for being clumsy, 50/50, straight split, if either party don't agree with that they're being unreasonable.

Ship me out to the Middle East, I'll box their ears and sort it out and I'm cheaper than Blair...

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
My wife's a clinical psychologist, so we don't do "blame", we do, "how does it make you feel?"

In your case, you're not happy, but blimey, it's only an amp, and apportioning blame is reductive and ever so slightly childish.

(The last time I checked, my wife was an actual fully fledged human being, like me).

Let it go, move on, man.

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Oh My word - I posted this partly in Jest, didnt know so many of you would take it so seriously I suppose. We arent at each other necks...

(The last time I checked, my wife was an actual fully fledged human being, like me).

Wow your house sounds like a lot of fun. I actually think its healthy for couples to argue, dont really believe in that 'how does that make you feel' rubish !!

and 'chuldish'! cheers, I suggest you take your judgment else where.

PS - i just wanted t know how that made you feel :-D

LOST

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
Personally i think your wife done you a favour and i would stick your amp on ebay as its probably worth a fortune now ...................... that it has WINGS !!!!

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
personally, now it's dead I would take it outside and both of you can have a ritual destruction of said amp my means of a sledge hammer. visualize something that is annoying you and relive some stress.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts