grounding/interference problem? how do i cure it?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i have my onkyo 876 connected to my MF A5CR Pre Amp with a 5m set of rca interconnects to the Home Theatre pass through - if i change to the HT setting on the pre amp with the onkyo off i get a mass of noise/interference through front two speakers that i can hear from my sofa - if i then turn on the onkyo and press mute on the onkyo it is silent - can't hear it when the onkyo amp is on either as seems to disapear, any ideas - not a major problem but bugs me!!!!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Sounds like a grounding problem.

What happens if you disconnect the interconnects at the Onkyo end and turn to the AV input?

It could be that the cables are picking up some hum, but this vanishes when the Onkyo is in circuit, unless the noise is still there when the Onkyo is on, not muted, but not passing any signal.

The simple answer seems to be to turn the Onkyo on before switching to the AV input on the preamp - you could drive yourself crackers trying to find the problem, which may be something as mad as interference from your TV or anything else connected to the Onkyo.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
its fine when onkyo is on can't be heard during quiet seens - think it is sky tv related as can hear voices very faintly - no jokes!!!!

have a second just rack stand arriving tomorrow so will be rewiring everything extensively so hopefully maybe that will cure it

A

Anonymous

Tried the standard troubleshooting techniques?

First try disconnecting the coax cable from the wall to the skybox, as this is a common culprit. Then continue by turning off the amp, disconnecting a piece of equipment from it, turning on the amp, testing, turning off the amp, disconnecting another, testing etc. until you find the culprit.

The solution depends on which item is causing the problem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts