Graphic Equalisers

sybaseguru

May 1, 2016
Visit site
After many years (since sp25 deck) and many thousands of pounds spent, I came to the conclusion that my hearing (age 64) meant that I had bought my last hifi. Then I thought I'd try a graphic equaliser on my pc to overcome the effects of age (Boost high frequencies and a bit of bass) - Wow - amazing. Maybe its time manufacturers considered us baby boomers and put a bit of R&D into age related equalisers so we can carry on buying expensive equipment!

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I hate graphic equalisers as when ever I'm confronted with one I can never get it to sound the way I like. I tend to spend much to long playing around with them in the hope that I may get it to make the music sound the way I like but I never do. I swear I have nightmares about the things.

Back in the day, the argument was they could compensate for defects elsewhere, whether in software or hardware. If your ears are failing, and I know my top end is, then I don't think compensating this way is the answer. If you go to a concert you can't adjust the sound, so at home, accurate reproduction is just that.

Imagine playing your boosted treble to a twenty year old?! They'd think it far too bright. On the other hand, if all they've ever heard is MP3 via earbuds they might like it!

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
If it improves your listening experience then why not? Most of us I suspect listen on our own so its for our ears only anyway. I doubt many manufacturers will be putting their R&D into it however.

Personally, like having no tone controls, it's less to tinker with or worry about.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
sybaseguru said:
After many years (since sp25 deck) and many thousands of pounds spent, I came to the conclusion that my hearing (age 64) meant that I had bought my last hifi. Then I thought I'd try a graphic equaliser on my pc to overcome the effects of age (Boost high frequencies and a bit of bass) - Wow - amazing. Maybe its time manufacturers considered us baby boomers and put a bit of R&D into age related equalisers so we can carry on buying expensive equipment!

Unless you are lucky enough to regularly entertain 20yr olds - if it works for you...

nopiano does have a point though. I recently bought new speakers with ribbon tweaters where the treble is absolutely spot-on but very smooth so maybe new speakers? I ain't no spring chicken at 61 but am very lucky that my hearing is still good even with continuous whistling in my ears thanks to age-related Tinnitus.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
nopiano said:
Back in the day, the argument was they could compensate for defects elsewhere, whether in software or hardware. If your ears are failing, and I know my top end is, then I don't think compensating this way is the answer. If you go to a concert you can't adjust the sound, so at home, accurate reproduction is just that.

Imagine playing your boosted treble to a twenty year old?! They'd think it far too bright. On the other hand, if all they've ever heard is MP3 via earbuds they might like it!

Maybe but if you are 60 then you are not 20?

Anyway yoofs like all bass and treble
wink_smile.gif

Buy Rudy Van Gelder remasters they have been done for oldies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts