Granite chopping boards

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

dim_span:

also read somewhere that if you place heavy objects such as a granite block on top of your speaker cabinets, it also improves the sound quality

----------------------------

Charl .... I used to live in South Africa for more than 35 years (Alberton and Amanzimtoti) .... most of my family are still there .... miss the place, but UK is my home now

I'm having granite pieces cut for the tops of my speaker cabinets, if it doesn't make a difference i could use them in the kitchen.
emotion-2.gif
But judging by some of the advice i've had they will work.

I live in the Eastern Cape where things are relatively peaceful, doubt i'd ever leave South Africa. What made you leave South Africa?

A

Anonymous

Charl .... left SA as was offered a good job in Cambridge .... have been here for 9 years now and dont think I will live in SA again .... My children are settled and getting a good education and are relatively safe here ....

Visited family in Joburg a year ago, and one cannot even walk to the shops at night anymore as there is a big possibility of getting mugged .... it's sad

We still have a holiday home in Paradise Beach Jeffries bay (have tenants living there) ....

Eastern cape/Transkei is in my opinion one of the nicest places in the world .... am planning a family holiday at Umngazi River Bungalows in the transkei .... been there many times

A

Anonymous

dim_span:

Charl .... left SA as was offered a good job in Cambridge .... have been here for 9 years now and dont think I will live in SA again .... My children are settled and getting a good education and are relatively safe here ....

Visited family in Joburg a year ago, and one cannot even walk to the shops at night anymore as there is a big possibility of getting mugged .... it's sad

We still have a holiday home in Paradise Beach Jeffries bay (have tenants living there) ....

Eastern cape/Transkei is in my opinion one of the nicest places in the world .... am planning a family holiday at Umngazi River Bungalows in the transkei .... been there many times

I grew up in the Transkei and spent almost every weekend and holiday at the coast, I live in East London now. Crime is everywhere but not as bad as up in Joburg. We just learn to avoid certain areas after dark. I thought of leaving a couple of years ago but the construction industry started booming so i stayed and made the most it. Things seem to be settling now but Africa is Africa and can change over nite. Corruption, crime and poverty are still common.

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
dont no if this helps for the granite platforms for my av gear i got some small stick on feet from b&q thay are a hard rubber and look very tidy sitting on the racks.as for the sub and front l&R speakers as i have a wood floor ive simply used blu tac in each corner of the granite to hold them to the floor

and small stick on felt pads on the granite for the speaker spikes to sit on and not slide about. my rel sub has got flat feet on so ive just used blu tac for this.

A

Anonymous

nodnarb4444:

dont no if this helps for the granite platforms for my av gear i got some small stick on feet from b&q thay are a hard rubber and look very tidy sitting on the racks.as for the sub and front l&R speakers as i have a wood floor ive simply used blu tac in each corner of the granite to hold them to the floor

and small stick on felt pads on the granite for the speaker spikes to sit on and not slide about. my rel sub has got flat feet on so ive just used blu tac for this.

Did you notice a difference in sound when using the granite?

I drilled 4mm pilot holes into the granite, the spikes of my L and R speakers fit into these holes, it stops the speakers from sliding around on the granite. My sub also has flat feet, didn't think of blu tac, thanks.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Ive never used granite myself

Personally I have a paving slab with some wood blutacked to the top of it which my main speakers are 'spiked' into

The difference to the sound this made (After an initial 'bedding in' time) was astounding

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Charl:nodnarb4444:

Did you notice a difference in sound when using the granite?

I drilled 4mm pilot holes into the granite, the spikes of my L and R speakers fit into these holes, it stops the speakers from sliding around on the granite. My sub also has flat feet, didn't think of blu tac, thanks.

100%with the sub base really sounds alot more controlled,and a little with the l&r speakers. dident hear any change with the power amps but my rack is pretty solid anyway but i think it looks nice anyway.

A

Anonymous

I agree, Granite chopping boards work great for 2 things, Isolation and improved sound being 1, the other protecting the hardwood floor. Morrisons sell them for £9.99 each and get some gel feet from Maplins for a couple of quid so they don't move about. I also looked at getting one made for my kit rack which is a Stands Unique AV10, Stone masons wanted about £150 - £200 quid to make one to order. Bargain!!!

devo18uk1

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

Sorry to drag this subject up again, but I was wondering if a granite chopping board would work well with an M&K KX-10 sub on a laminate floor as the sub has a flat base with no spikes/feet? Would this make a difference, or should I get some feet for this sub?

Thanks guys

A

Anonymous

bigboss:

There's a theory that speakers & subwoofers perform better if they're placed on top of a granite slab.

there is also a theory that speakers perform better if the granite block is placed ontop of the speaker cabinets

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts