Got the Kef R300 what amplifier do I need?

renokki

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello Everybody

Just bought a new speakers Kef r300 (rosewood) I'v got a pm6004 whit an rdac but it sounds just a bit to laid back.

Its nice but not souding the great sound ive got from a denon 1510 in the shop nice dynamics + 3d sound.

I want some advice for buying an amplifier for under 2000$ :)

This are some of the options i'm considering;

Arcam a19/a28

Arcam a38

Hegel h80

Wich is best for normal listening sessions? :dance:

Arcam a38 better souding on normal listening levels than a19/a28?

Hegel h80 sounding better than a38?

Do you get al little bit holographic/3d sound from arcam/kef?

Please some advice 8)

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Why not see if you can borrow the shop's 1510 for a home demo? You've said it sounded great in the shop, so it seems worth the audition, and it seems a bit strange you hadn't included it in your list of potential amps.

if they are new speakers, i would give them time to run in, and your ears get used to them.

and also play around with positioning, as they may sound better in a different position to your previous speakers. the rule is try-try again.. its quite surprising what you can do with just a few adjustments.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
You could also look at the Pioneer A50 and A70, the Primare I22, Naim Nait 5Si or XS2, Rega Brio-R or Elicit-R and the Rotel RA1570.

The Elciit R is a lovely clean sounding transparent amp - gutted I had 4 of them all faulty

Get a Valve amp - you will never buy a SS amp ever again

renokki

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello I've run them in for 4 months now, so thats already a run.

I've read naim is fast. Also rega. It's are lively dynamic amplifiers. But soundstage is lesser compared to arcam

Rotel is really great in details and offfers a nice soundstage but sounding pretty neutral and lesser in dynamics.

Arcam is a relaxing open stage but less dynamics for what ive read.

Nad 375 is great in details but for less money youve got arcam a19 a little bit more musical read in hifichoice.

Creek is airy but a little bit lean in bas and al that kind of thing.

I had read hegel h-80- had it all but maybe it should be a little bit to clinical? this also for pioneer 50-70 sounding fast/great like yamaha but not for relaxing 3/4 hours.

Denon great bass dynamics but the highs are a little bit bad. Bass to loud compared to highs

I'm searching for kef r300 amplifier :)

renokki

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I like big soundstage and relaxing music.

So now I want to know how is hte arcam a19 compared to a38

And how did the hegel h80 compare to a38 :dance:

Also read in hifichoice arcam a19 gets 80 % against pioneer a70 - 70%

Creek was better but lesser soundstage and i really like a big soundstage thats overwhelming in the deep and the wide.

ErikM

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I have a pair of the R300. I drive them with a Rega Elicit ( not the R) I think a great match for them would also be a Plinius 9200, bet you can find a nice used one.. fwiw I'd use the Plinius if it wan't to big to fit in my cabinet, the Rega was the nicest amp that I could find that wasn't too deep to fit..

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
renokki said:
Hello Everybody

Just bought a new speakers Kef r300 (rosewood) I'v got a pm6004 whit an rdac but it sounds just a bit to laid back.

Its nice but not souding the great sound ive got from a denon 1510 in the shop nice dynamics + 3d sound.

I want some advice for buying an amplifier for under 2000$ :)

This are some of the options i'm considering;

Arcam a19/a28

Arcam a38

Hegel h80

Wich is best for normal listening sessions? :dance:

Arcam a38 better souding on normal listening levels than a19/a28?

Hegel h80 sounding better than a38?

Do you get al little bit holographic/3d sound from arcam/kef?

Please some advice 8)

you need electrocompaniet.. the best you can afford!!!

you've got an excellent speakers.. marantz is a waste of time with R series

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
lpv said:

+1

The Electrocompaniet ECI3 Integrated would be a very good place to start :)

It might be a bit over your budget but they can be found ex demo or used within your budget and believe me it is worth the time and effort to find one .

http://www.tonepublications.com/review/electrocompaniet-eci-3-integrated-amplifier/

theo12

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Electro said:
lpv said:

+1

It might be a bit over your budget but they can be found ex demo or used within your budget and believe me it is worth the time and effort to find one .

http://www.tonepublications.com/review/electrocompaniet-eci-3-integrated-amplifier/

Apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread, however I wanted to let Electro know that Audiodestination have accepted payment terms and I will be the proud owner of an EC3i in the very near future.

Going to be spending the next few hours in absolute joy, that my dream system has got off the ground. OH YES!!!!

Apologies again to the OP.

Theo12 :dance:
dance.gif

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
theo12 said:
Electro said:
lpv said:

+1

Apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread, however I wanted to let Electro know that Audiodestination have accepted payment terms and I will be the proud owner of an EC3i in the very near future.

Going to be spending the next few hours in absolute joy, that my dream system has got off the ground. OH YES!!!!

dance.gif

Congratulations :cheer: :cheers:

I am looking forward to your review . :)

I am sure you are in for a real treat , the Eci 3 is an amazing amp :) .

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Electro said:
theo12 said:
Electro said:
lpv said:

+1

dance.gif

So what do you think ? has the Eci 3 lived up to your expectations ? is it :dance: or :cry: ?

I also want to thank you as well because after you told me that Audiodestination accepted you offer for the Eci3 it spurred me on to phone them myself and make a deal on the ex demo Electrocompaniet EC4.8 preamp and a pair of AW180 monoblocks of which I am now the proud owner :cheers: , words cannot describe how wonderful they sound :grin:

I thought my old EC4.7 and AW120 DMB were good and they are compared with most , but the EC4.8 / AW 180 mono's are in a completely different league .

I now also own my dream system , one that I thought I would never own .

Electro said:
Electro said:
theo12 said:
Electro said:
lpv said:

+1

dance.gif

So what do you think ? has the Eci 3 lived up to your expectations ? is it :dance: or :cry: ?

I also want to thank you as well because after you told me that Audiodestination accepted you offer for the Eci3 it spurred me on to phone them myself and make a deal on the ex demo Electrocompaniet EC4.8 preamp and a pair of AW180 monoblocks of which I am now the proud owner :cheers: , words cannot describe how wonderful they sound :grin:

I thought my old EC4.7 and AW120 DMB were good and they are compared with most , but the EC4.8 / AW 180 mono's are in a completely different league .

Congrats, Electro. Little surprised, though, never realised you were that interested in Electrocompaniet stuff. :p ;)

theo12

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Electro said:
Electro said:
theo12 said:
Electro said:
lpv said:

+1

dance.gif

Hi Electro

I only received the amp today and that coincided with electricians being here from the time the amp arrived to 5 minutes ago.

So I have only just plugged it in. Going to allow a 2 hour warm up, as per the instruction manual. I will give you some feedback in a couple of weeks time, to allow me to get used to the new sound, also I will give a little surrounding story for this journey and describe what kit I am using for now and what kit will be purchased to create my dream set up.

Congratulations on your new team, you must be thrilled, particularly the fact that you were able to get them at a real deal of a price.

For now I am feeling fantastic that I have got the "gem" of the system sat in front of me and that a lifetime of exquisite music playback has begun

Theo12

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
theo12 said:
Hi Electro

I only received the amp today and that coincided with electricians being here from the time the amp arrived to 5 minutes ago.

So I have only just plugged it in. Going to allow a 2 hour warm up, as per the instruction manual. I will give you some feedback in a couple of weeks time, to allow me to get used to the new sound, also I will give a little surrounding story for this journey and describe what kit I am using for now and what kit will be purchased to create my dream set up.

Congratulations on your new team, you must be thrilled, particularly the fact that you were able to get them at a real deal of a price.

For now I am feeling fantastic that I have got the "gem" of the system sat in front of me and that a lifetime of exquisite music playback has begun

Theo12

I am looking forward to your story , enjoy yourself and good listening :)

Gibalok

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Gents,

now i have R300 Kef's being driven by CA 640av2 which is i believe good amp for beginning hi-fi but now enough for KEF r300. Im considering to buy some good well powered amp in $3000-4000 price range and close the question.

There are two reasons of changing an amp:

1. Ca640 is a bit noisy and im not satisfied well with low level listening dynamic range and

2. Im considering to switch to more advanced AS (in next couple years) like AE reference 2 or even Penaudio Cenya which i was impressed at show room with Teac AI-3000.

well, im considering Teac AI-3000, MF 6i and Marantz 14s3.

Or should I search used electrocompaniet/plinius in this price range?

What is your opinion on these amps reffering to KEF R300?

thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts