Gone with the wind - extras picture quality

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a question for you all. The picture quality on GWTW BD1 (ie the movie itself ) is stunning, but the picture on BD disc 2 (special features) is decidely ropey. There's a similar problem on the North By Nortwest extras.

The pics are all 1080p 60hz, which to me says an upscaled NTSC source (most of it is a bit old). I don't have an issue with that per se, but what I really don't like is the jagged edged line pull effect that appears on almost every diagonal and vertical, especially when there's lateral movement.

It makes the image look like an FLV file or a poor web video.

What's causing this? Is it my player (I've just got a Panny BD60) or is it the encode? Anybody know what causes this problem?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Was there a particular extra causing this issue, or all of them? The documentary about Gone with the Wind's restoration played perfectly on my Panasonic 'BD55, but I've only glanced at the others to date.

A

Anonymous

Wow, Clare! That was quick!!

It was pretty much all of them, as I remember. I'll double check tonight, but it was certainly there on the 1939 doco. On NBNW it was particularly noticeable on the Eva Marie Saint doc.

Could it be something do do with my settings? I'm playing NTSC as NTSC for example.

Other SD extras on other discs seem fine.

A

Anonymous

Lucky you! Picture quality on NBNW is simply stunning. I just LOVE VistaVision!!! I played it to some friends who had never seen HD before (yes, they are out there) literally dropped their jaws!

As for the extras, if you check out the start of The Making of NBNW and watch Saint enter through the studio doors the problem I'm talking about is very clear there.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Wow, North by Northwest does look excellent (though the anti-grain brigade wouldn't like it - but then let them stick with animation!)

I had no problem with the 'Making of' documentary, but then - as mentioned - the Blu-ray player is set to 'auto' (pretty much everything in our set-up is, from source through to projector!)'. Maybe yours is set to PAL-only, and is therefore getting stressed?

A

Anonymous

I've gone through every conceivable permutaion on both TV and player and have found the culprit. It's the PICTURE setting on my Panny. It's set to AUTO. If I select VIDEO then the problem goes away and all looks as well as an NTSC show from the 80's can look.....

Maybe I need a firmware upgrade..... (even though the machine says I don't)

Thanks for the help.

AND I LOVE GRAIN !!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts