Goldring NS1000 for £49 on play.com

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Thought this may be of interest, just ordered these as they seened to be a bit of a bargin. needed something that is tube friendly as my Grados are next to useless on the northern line. am hoping they will be comparable sound wise.

idc

Bay24, they are a bargain and very good sounding as well. They are far less sensitive than the Grados which are OK out of an ipod. So I would advise you spend some of the savings on a portable amp. Look at the FiiO E1,3 or 5 as a starter to help give the Goldrings a decent sound quality.

A

Anonymous

Glad someone highlighted this bargain, just ordered mine, woohoo. treated myself to an e5 amp from amazon too ;o)

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
idc:Bay24, they are a bargain and very good sounding as well. They are far less sensitive than the Grados which are OK out of an ipod. So I would advise you spend some of the savings on a portable amp. Look at the FiiO E1,3 or 5 as a starter to help give the Goldrings a decent sound quality.

idc - have ordered another pair after I wasn't to positive about them last time and seemed to be the only one - i only used them previously with the project headbox II and my ipod classsic and having read a number of reports about the dac in the ipod classic not been up to much so thought would give them another bash with the fubar iv and the onkyo digital dock to see if can get them singing

A

Anonymous

HI idc, was looking at the russ andrews version the other week, would i notice much difference on such a budget setup? or should i just go for this one?

cheers

A

Anonymous

Good luck with the Goldrings Bay24 !

Contrary to what some people are saying on here these phones do NOT need a separate amp to sound great . I notice you've got both a IPhone and an Ipod Classic 30GB in your signature. I have both of these too and they are capable of driving the low sensitivity Goldrings more than adequately - particularly when used as intended with Noise Canceling enabled.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
idc:Bay24, they are a bargain and very good sounding as well. They are far less sensitive than the Grados which are OK out of an ipod. So I would advise you spend some of the savings on a portable amp. Look at the FiiO E1,3 or 5 as a starter to help give the Goldrings a decent sound quality.
thanks for the advice idc, I have an iPhone and iPod classic so the e1 looks like the best option. Is the e5 better in terms of the improving sound quality though?the little I have read says it is an upgraded version of the e3 so I am a little confused as I know nothing about portable amps.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
lazarus1803:
Good luck with the Goldrings Bay24 !

Contrary to what some people are saying on here these phones do NOT need a separate amp to sound great . I notice you've got both a IPhone and an Ipod Classic 30GB in your signature. I have both of these too and they are capable of driving the low sensitivity Goldrings more than adequately - particularly when used as intended with Noise Canceling enabled.

thanks Lazarus! I will give them some time without an amp and see if I feel the need to add the amp. I don't listen to music that loud generally so may be ok.
Idc- how does the amp improve the sound? Or does it just make it louder?

idc

To the various points above -

I would get the FiiO LOD, the RA one is rather expensive for what is a portable option in my mind

I haven't heard the 1 and 3 but they get great reviews and I am delighted with the 5

The Goldrings NEED an amp to get anywhere near the best out of them. They are very insensitive. Since the amps I am recommending all cost £25 (including LOD) or less and the cans are £49.99, it is not an unreasonable extra. I have just taken my Goldrings out of my X-CAN and plugged it into my 80gb Classic. The sound is now flat and lacks serious detail and dynamic, even at maximum volume.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
idc:
To the various points above -

I would get the FiiO LOD, the RA one is rather expensive for what is a portable option in my mind

I haven't heard the 1 and 3 but they get great reviews and I am delighted with the 5

The Goldrings NEED an amp to get anywhere near the best out of them. They are very insensitive. Since the amps I am recommending all cost £25 (including LOD) or less and the cans are £49.99, it is not an unreasonable extra. I have just taken my Goldrings out of my X-CAN and plugged it into my 80gb Classic. The sound is now flat and lacks serious detail and dynamic, even at maximum volume.

I agree it isn't alot of money so may well look into it especially if it improves things that much! Sorry for all the questions bot what is the LOD? Is it just the conector from player to amp?

idc

A LOD is a line out dock, a cable which connects from the ipods docking port at the base to a minijack, jack, phonos or whatever you need to connect to the amplifier. The benefit is that by connecting to the dock you bypass the ipods amp. If you connect from the ipods headphone mini jack to an amp you are connecting an amp to an amp. That will work, but you run into problems with volume control and, by Apples own admission, the dock is the better connection.

front.gif

You can get a LOD off ebay or from here, the official FiiO importer

http://www.mp3amplifier.com/product_info.php/products_id/72?osCsid=oip2821pu6v01crp1jda86ck22

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
so if I understand the e1 is both a LOD and an amp as it conects to the base of the iPod, is that right? Sorry for my ignorance.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
It does seem odd that it is not included as it is quite probable that it will be used with it. I think the e1 is for me, don't realy want to be adding extra things to carry.

stanleyk

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi IDC,

I finally received my E5 today, just playing with it now. Was just wondering what your thoughts on the bass boost was? I am currently using with my SR80, will be using more often than not with my DT231, allthogh hope to purchase the NS1000 on payday. Does the use of the boost not influence the sound too much, possibly make it a little unnatural? Is the idea not to hear the recording as close to the original as possible? Or do you find you adjust according to headphone, what you are listening too etc?

I saw another post thanking you for your advice on a few bits and bobs, I would like to mirror that, have enjoyed researching all the recent headphone purchasing and your inputs have been most useful.

idc

I use the bass boost as it gives more dynamic as opposed to a deeper and unnatural bass. I have found more a big bass boost just switching from Senn HD201 to HD202. The more sensitive the headphone, the less effect bass boost has, so it is more noticeable with the SR80s than the Goldrings.

I also prefer the Goldrings with NR off as I find the sound more dynamic. I prefer a more forward dynamic sound than a smooth one. But I dont mean dynamic as in unnatural bass emphasis.

stanleyk

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Well I may bite the bullet (finally!) and ordrs these on CC, however I do worry about the short cable, I usually have my pod slung in my bag so it may not be long enough, is there scope for replacing it at some point, or buying a cheap extension?

idc

Yes the 1m cable is not really long enough. I bought a cheap Sony 1m extension off Amazon which has strangled the sound to a small extent. The problem is that many extensions are 5m plus long or stupidly expensive.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
well they arrived and my opinion really hasn't changed to much from before although these straight out the box - the bad points the cable is way to short and these leak sound really quite badly, to the point that my gf complained i had gone back to my open cans - the levels of bass is good and punchy but with noise isolation off i still feel they sound a little flat and with noise isolation on i think i prefer but does add a small amount of hiss - don't get me wrong they are not bad for the £50

now moved back to the sennheiser hd280 and they are so much better when it comes to noise leakage - listening slightly louder and no complaints from gf bass not quite as strong but the treble is far better and left the gain set to high even though these are only 65ohms and they are really singing! I picked them up xdemo for £54 and they are really growing on me. Maybe i like my music a little forward.

idc

Mine have a good few hundred hours on them and I cannot say they have run/burned in. Compared tothe Grado SR80 they do sound flat, but so do most cans. Compared to the AKG K702 they lack detail, but so do most cans. My view now is that they are my all- rounders and well worth it for £50. But if I had paid £160, the original RRP, I would be disappointed, particularly as they leak noise, so dont seem to be good for their primary purpose of Noise Reduction. I think NR should work both ways so you do not annoy others near to you.

I listen to them all the time with NR off. I find with NR on they are too bright and bass detail almost disappears.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
well I have been using the Goldrings for just over a week and thought I would post my initial thoughts.
First the bad: the 1m lead is a little short but I can just about get away with it. I am not sure if it is just because they are new but the headphones themselves do creak a bit when I am on the move which is a little distracting, it seems to have got better as the week has gone on but I am not sure if that is due to them losening up or I have just got used to it. Another problem which I have noticed with noise canncelling phones is that mobiles cause quite alot of interfearence, this was not much of a problem for me in the past as I just kept my phone away from them but now I quite often use my iphone for music so I am finding that I need to keep player as far away from headphones as possible (not easy to do with a 1m lead!!).
It may sound like I do not like them but actually I am realy enjoying my listening. I do most of my listening on public transport and the noise reduction does its job realy well even on the loudest tubes. the sound itself is realy good, I would say on a per with my Grados if not even more suited to my taste, they seem to handle most types of music from electronica to acoustic with ease and they dig out plenty of detail. I have a mixture of lossless files to much lower bit rate files and they all have lots of life to them. One thing I wouold say is that vocals can seem a little muted at times or not quite at the forefront of the music if that makes sense.

I would agree with idc in that they are a good everyday headphone for general use which is exactly what I was looking for and at £50 I think very good value!

TRENDING THREADS