GOLDEN ears :p

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Success. Although I wouldn't have put any money on it. It wasn't so much that one clip sounded "better" than the other, more that it was slightly easier to pick out background stuff from the 320kps encoding.

SteveR750

3.75Hz adaptive pitch

80% rhythm

My tonedeaf measurement was appaling but then I had te strains of Bach filing the room (not my choice), and it wasnt until about 1/3 of way through I realised what I was supposed to be listening out for. That said I know its pants as I really struggle to figure out other peoples songs on the guitar, and probably why I'm still stuck in (and still impressed by) the pentatonic scale.....

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Ahh the bitrate one is easy, listen to the higher percussion in particular - it is smoothed off on 128kbps, our R&D guy tells me he hears it more in the timing...

I'm at 80% on rhythm and 3khz on the pitch, but to be fair, the office radio, telephones and painfully annoying PC fan on our print server PC aren't making life easy!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
AEJim:I'm at 80% on rhythm and 3khz on the pitch.....

3khz? Ok. That's not worrying coming from a loudspeaker manufacturer
emotion-2.gif
(Hopefully you meant 3hz)

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Oops! Yes indeed meant 3hz - was in the process of discussing the hearing range test with our head of R&D who said he can't hear above 17khz on his headphones - on my desktop speakers we got to about 19khz but I figured the speakers were the limitation since those new anti-social behaviour alarm thingies were bugging the hell out of me when "er indoors" had some channel on TV playing them in another room! Interestingly when we tried the highest frequency it was very audible due to speaker distortion, goes to show you can't trust these things 100% because there are other factors!! (these are only our Aego speakers btw, not made to go much above 16khz)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I took a similar test with my HD-595 headpones via my Beresford TC-7520 and found I was ok up to 16,500hz (-3db) in right ear and 16,500hz (-6db) in the left.

Up to 12,500hz I was spot on in both with no extra volume needed.

Beyond 16,500hz I could not really hear much. (I think the next band was 18khz)

At the other end of the audible spectrum I was fine right down as far as the test went (or as far down as my headphones went more likely) at around 25hz.

However, I am in my late 40's so I am very pleased I can hear 16,500hz at all.

strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
1.2Hz through the PC's onboard soundcard and old Cambridge Soundworks speakers. I'm quite impressed with myself. I found the rising tones easier to distinguish than the falling ones though.

76% in the Rhythm Test. I'm glad you can replay some of them, as at first listen some of them sounded almost identical.

Hmmm, I wonder if a pattern could be established between the results of these tests and peoples musical tastes, and maybe even their choices of hi-fi sound.

EDIT - re-resding the thread, I see IDC has already covered this...
emotion-10.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts