Going. . . Going. . . Nearly gone!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Try an A85/P85 combo or an A32 PP. Much much better and more lively than your A80 but also keeping all the things that Arcam do well too.

Or alternatively trade your 73 for a 192 'No more Mr Nice Arcam' was the 5* review, a huge improvement in dynamics and verve over my cd92.

ÿ

ÿ

JoelSim:

Try an A85/P85 combo or an A32 PP. Much much better and more lively than your A80 but also keeping all the things that Arcam do well too.

Or alternatively trade your 73 for a 192 'No more Mr Nice Arcam' was the 5* review, a huge improvement in dynamics and verve over my cd92.

Fair play - as you well know I, like yourself love Arcam, can pick up a Rotel RA-03 for similar money, or a kandy LIII for extra hundred or so more.

Regards the CDP I could always get my 73T upgraded at a later date for just over 500 squid.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:JoelSim:

Fair play - as you well know I, like yourself love Arcam, can pick up a Rotel RA-03ÿfor similar money, or a kandy LIII for extra hundred or so more.

Regards the CDP I could always get my 73T upgraded at a later date for just over 500 squid.

ÿ

No, no no. Sell the 73 and buy a 192 and it will cost you £200 max!

ÿ

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I thought Naim's 5i and matching player kind of lacked some control/extension at the frequency extremes with PMC's , Rega did'nt have quite the attack of the Naim but to my ears sounded more balanced, something you can listen for for hours but for the money, at the time, cyrus'es 8vs2 and 6 player made a very nice system. Both Arcam's A38 and 28 just did'nt do it for me with those speakers, even with their top of the range player. To restrained.

If it was my money and looking to the future I'd probably audition Naims XS and matching player with the DB1. I have to take a guess here as I haven't tried this but I'd say this would probably make a formidable little system, both visually and sonically. Failing that you can find cyruses 8vs2 new for around £500. It's upgradeable and as with the naim, would visually and otherwise be a terrific set up you'd enjoy looking at as well as use for some time to come. Good luck.

As always, my opinion only.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
stevee1966:plastic penguin:
Hi chaps

I've decided to put my RS6's up for sale (reluctantly).

DELETED BY MODS - no trading please

EDITED (AGAIN) BY MODS - please do not discuss moderation

drummerman:

I thought Naim's 5i and matching player kind of lacked some control/extension at the frequency extremes with PMC's , Rega did'nt have quite the attack of the Naim but to my ears sounded more balanced, something you can listen for for hours but for the money, at the time, cyrus'es 8vs2 and 6 player made a very nice system. Both Arcam's A38 and 28 just did'nt do it for me with those speakers, even with their top of the range player. To restrained.

If it was my money and looking to the future I'd probably audition Naims XS and matching player with the DB1. I have to take a guess here as I haven't tried this but I'd say this would probably make a formidable little system, both visually and sonically. Failing that you can find cyruses 8vs2 new for around £500. It's upgradeable and as with the naim, would visually and otherwise be a terrific set up you'd enjoy looking at as well as use for some time to come. Good luck.

As always, my opinion only.

Good call on the Naim. Thought about and rejected the naim because it doesn't have enough inputs. I've narrowed it down to Rotel RA-03 (if I can get hold of one) or Roksan Kandy LIII. On the CD front, I'll look at upgrading in time to Arcam CD192.

A

Anonymous

You could always get a Cambridge Audio DACMagic or VDac instead of a CDP
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

No idea really but I'd expect it to pretty close. You can use it for so much more than just CDs.

igglebert:No idea really but I'd expect it to pretty close. You can use it for so much more than just CDs.

Sorry for asking a question I should really know. But what are the practical advantages of a separate DAC. Does it have various outputs for CDP, DVD etc?

A

Anonymous

A separate DAC such as the DACMagic will allow you to connect the digital outputs of various sources. For example, you could connect one optical out from a PS3, one from a TV, the coax digital out from a CDP (thus a transport only) and the USB from a computer. You'd still have a spare coax input for something else. That's a lot of digital sources to take advantage of the rather nice DAC in the DACMagic (apparently similar to a CA 740 CDP but less coloured). Note that this list includes the trusty PC source; enter the world of downloadable music, hidden storage (no CDs!), clever software to help manage collections and the wonders of Spotify.

The DAC would simply plug into your amp like any CDP or line level source (although it also has balanced outputs too). And if that list of features isn't enough for £230 then you get some switchable filters too. These allow fine tuning of the sound to taste, for example, steep will make it sound more bright/glassy, useful for a soft sources like TVs, linear will make it sound bassier, minimum less sibilant.

The Musical Fidelity VDac is considerably more restricted in inputs but can still manage a couple, including USB.

I guess a CDP is attractively simple. I haven't mustered up the energy or enthusiasm to go for streamed music and I'm an IT bod.

rod1429

May 10, 2009
Visit site
You could always stream from your PC over a wireless network into an Airport Express connected to the DAC.

http://www.apple.com/uk/airportexpress/

a bargain at £79 if you ask me! I use one into a Beresford & it sounds great for the money.

rod1429:

You could always stream from your PC over a wireless network into an Airport Express connected to the DAC.

http://www.apple.com/uk/airportexpress/

a bargain at £79 if you ask me! I use one into a Beresford & it sounds great for the money.

Thank you for the suggestion. Adding extra boxes is a bit of a sore point in our household at the moment
emotion-40.gif

Well, my amp and speakers have been sold. Won't be buying for about three to four weeks, so any reasonable suggestions for an upgrade, although favs to date are leema Pulse, Roksan Caspian, Yamaha. I'll probably go ex-dem but looking at (RRP up to £1300), so s/hand or ex-dem £700-£800.

A

Anonymous

ah , so new speakers and a new amp was the upgrade you eluded to , rx6s ?

ill be paying close attention to your hunt for a new amp if you do get the rx6s..
emotion-15.gif

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin:Adding extra boxes is a bit of a sore point in our household at the moment

Well, my amp and speakers have been sold. I'll probably go ex-dem but looking at (RRP up to £1300), so s/hand or ex-dem £700-£800.
How about something like this? RRP £1500, s/hand £799, but you could make an offer around £700.

AL13N:plastic penguin:Adding extra boxes is a bit of a sore point in our household at the moment

Well, my amp and speakers have been sold. I'll probably go ex-dem but looking at (RRP up to £1300), so s/hand or ex-dem £700-£800.
How about something like this? RRP £1500, s/hand £799, but you could make an offer around £700.

Thanks, Al13N - that's a possibility, but the problem I have is I've never heard Actives before, so wouldn't want to throw my eggs into one basket. Also, I could audition a pair, but unless I'm buying from a dealer I would feel uncomfortable.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:I love the PMC DB1S

I'm not totally clued up on the active speaker so please excuse my ignorance but do you need an amp, couldn't you just use a pre-mp?

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin:Thanks, Al13N - that's a possibility, but the problem I have is I've never heard Actives before, so wouldn't want to throw my eggs into one basket. Also, I could audition a pair, but unless I'm buying from a dealer I would feel uncomfortable.
Fair enough. How about Spendor SA1 for £839 or £899 ex-dem from reputable dealers?

AL13N:plastic penguin:Thanks, Al13N - that's a possibility, but the problem I have is I've never heard Actives before, so wouldn't want to throw my eggs into one basket. Also, I could audition a pair, but unless I'm buying from a dealer I would feel uncomfortable.
Fair enough. How about Spendor SA1 for £839 or £899 ex-dem from reputable dealers?

Added to list...

Heard the SA-1s with a Naim XS/Cyrus combo. Sounded impressive.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
You are getting scatter-gunned with suggestions and I could add some too but - as you have often advised others - you need to spend the time you have (3 - 4 months wasn't it) checking out the reviews, reading betwen the lines of course, and sitting down in the same room with some of them.

Despite all the best intended suggestions of ebay gear, there is never any way to know in advance if you will like it, and no return period if you don't. Also no dealer or manufacturer warranty for peace of mind. Yes, you can sell it on but that is a whole load of work and worry you don't need.

You have an Arcam CD player already so maybe the FMJ A38 or A28 (both roughly in the ball-park of your budget) will suit. Aesthetically at least it won't be a train wreck
emotion-1.gif
(And lots of people rate the A38 highly.) They are stocked by most of the dealers who also stock stuff like Rega, Naim, Cyrus etc for comparison.

[Edit] Thinking about Arcam and the box-count issue, how about getting to hear the new Arcam Solo Neo? Got the lot. Amp, CD, FM/DAB tuner, DAC, wireless. That place linked to above for ex-demo SA1s have it too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts