Going. . . Going. . . Nearly gone!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
d_a_n1979:So have the RS6's gone then Sir? It looks like I'm going back down the Arcam & M/A RS6 route. I cant help myself! I know I've had them before but they have just been the best speaker for me and my musical tastes! I'm either going to go down the Arcam Alpha 9 and 9P route OR and Arcam Alpha 10 integrated on it's own or the Arcam DiVA A85 integrated for the time being and then look to pick up a P85 when I can find one on eBay. Some very good deals for the M/A RS6's current ex-dem via SSAV and on eBay. I'll keep you posted!

The fat lady is content at the moment to munch on a box of chocs, while solving the Times crossword. . .Lol

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:So how's it going PP? Are you enjoying clarity, detail and lovely imaging?
emotion-2.gif

Exactly. All traits sadly lacking with MA's lower ranges as anybody can hear in about two minutes of comparing with a more capable product, including PMC's smallest.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:
igglebert:So how's it going PP? Are you enjoying clarity, detail and lovely imaging?
emotion-2.gif

Exactly. All traits sadly lacking with MA's lower ranges as anybody can hear in about two minutes of comparing with a more capable product, including PMC's smallest.

In YOUR opinion; not everyones!

Andrew Everard:Much though some on here may proclaim them as if from atop a mount, I think most posts should be read as opinions, not statements of the absolute...

Absolutely Andrew.

Back to reality today, chaps. Work. . . .

Been in for half an hour or so and currently listening to some big band music on the PMC's.

Ruddy good test this, immensely enjoyable. No decisions yet. Won't have any firm conclusions until Friday night (probably).

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
d_a_n1979:drummerman:
emotion-2.gif

Try it and you (probably) hear it too ... I grossly over-estimated the time it takes though. 30 secs should be plenty.

drummerman:d_a_n1979:drummerman:

emotion-2.gif

Try it and you (probably) hear it too ... I grossly over-estimated the time it takes though. 30 secs should be plenty.

DM, you have a quality the MA's don't. . . .too transparent
emotion-5.gif

The last couple of days has been epic. I've virtually come to a definitive conclusion. Both have immense talent and both have small flaws. Both are great speakers (contrary to the comments of some forum members) but, crucially - and it's a big fat BUT - each monitor is distinctive.

I've decided this will be the last evening of testing, mainly due to the fact I have very sore kness
emotion-9.gif

So will I stick or twist?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:drummerman:d_a_n1979:drummerman:

emotion-2.gif

emotion-5.gif

Yeah I know ...

I have'nt really followed your system evolution as I'm a bit busy with things at the mo so I'm not really sure why you are replacing a relatively large speaker with one of the tiniest ones you can find?

Whilst I think the good traits of a speaker such as the DB1's (in this instance) outweigh the not so good aspects of your current boxes by a not insignifant margin it is nevertheless going from one extreme to the other ...

... why not set your sights a little higher and try one of PMC's larger (still compact) floorstanders if you happen to like the house sound? They don't greatly differ other than a bit more impact and depth to sound ... and price, but it may be good to look a little ahead.

You may of course be very happy with the baby ones ...

Now, you surely don't need two days to agree with me.

drummerman:plastic penguin:drummerman:d_a_n1979:drummerman:

emotion-2.gif

emotion-5.gif

Yeah I know ...

I have'nt really followed your system evolution as I'm a bit busy with things at the mo so I'm not really sure why you are replacing a relatively large speaker with one of the tiniest ones you can find?

Whilst I think the good traits of a speaker such as the DB1's (in this instance) outweigh the not so good aspects of your current boxes by a not insignifant margin it is nevertheless going from one extreme to the other ...

... why not set your sights a little higher and try one of PMC's larger (still compact) floorstanders if you happen to like the house sound? They don't greatly differ other than a bit more impact and depth to sound ... and price, but it may be good to look a little ahead.

You may of course be very happy with the baby ones ...

Now, you surely don't need two days to agree with me.

It's a two-fold reason why I'm seriously looking small monitors. Firstly, the OH has been pestering me for months about the dimensions of the RS's and how she would like to downsize the whole system. The other reason is I've become bored with my systems analytical sound. So the search began.

Heard the PMC GB1's (version 1) about 2 years ago - at the same dealer - with my amp and they sounded very impressive. But it was only a brief listen. Ever since, I've tended to gravitate towards PMC's neutral sound and overall presentation.

A

Anonymous

If you're a fan of the sort of powerful presentation you get from MA RS6s then you should consider some of the offerings from Dynaudio. If you can seek out a used pair of Audience 52SE then you'll be on to a cracking pair of speakers for the money. They're fitted with the Contour drive units and are quite a step forward from the standard 52 and even the Focus 110s.

igglebert:If you're a fan of the sort of powerful presentation you get from MA RS6s then you should consider some of the offerings from Dynaudio. If you can seek out a used pair of Audience 52SE then you'll be on to a cracking pair of speakers for the money. They're fitted with the Contour drive units and are quite a step forward from the standard 52 and even the Focus 110s.

Thanks Iggs. Yeah I'm a fan of Dynaudio's - however, a few years ago, I heard the basic Audience 52 (not SE) rigged to an Arcam A80 and the whole presentation sound dry and unecxiting. Although it would give more scope for upgrade.

Thanks Clare, but I clicked on the attachment and it just came up as 'Error.'

Right! Results from the Surrey Hills jury is. . .

When I unpacked the PMC's from their box and lugged in the hefty Kudo stands I really had a 'good feeling' about the pocket-sized monitors. Once fired up they didn't disappoint in any shape or form - they were also perfect for the OH's concept of down-sizing.

The first album we tried was Bowie's 'Ziggy Stardust' and the DB1i's immediately lived up to the hype and positive appraisal. The detail, clarity and timing was first class (thanks Iggle, DM, JD
emotion-21.gif
). Then I loaded up the CD73 with a Small Faces album with the same impeccable traits. Itchycoo Park sprang out from the tiny bass driver with aplomb. Clearly they didn't have the clout of bigger speakers (that's as obvious as Jeremy Clarkson's ego).

By this point I was mentally writing a cheque out for these great little speakers. So all's perfect on the PMC front then? well no. While they had all the clarity, detail, imaging you could ever wish for once I put on 'Saving Private Ryan' DVD it really showed up the DB's deficiences: The Omaha beach scene at the beginning exposed the speakers the lack of bottom end grunt. On my RS's you get virtual surround sound, the impression you are there - really got the sonic juices flowing. The PMC's not so. The detail from falling debris was spot-on though. Back to CD's and played the OH's Norah Jones's album 'Come Away With ME' and the PMC's lack of realism once again exposed. The instruments were again beautiful, but her voice seemed to be thin and lacked a velvety texture of the MA's.

Another slight disappointment was I played The Foo Fighters 'Nothing Left To Lose' album and subsequently played some Big Band Jazz. What these albums confirm is that when the bass drum is wellied out the PMC's sounded a tad flat.

I carried out a strange experiment last night. On Tuesday night I invited the OH's physio around to have a listen. She has a ridiculously expensive B&O system, and all I said was bring 1 CD and listen to these speakers. When she arrived I didn't ask her to judge which speaker she preferred. . .simply asked which pair was the most expensive, in her view. After listening to 3 Cliff Richard tracks on both speakers she cited the RS6's as the most expensive. I was suprised because the PMC's, to me anyway, sounded more sophisticated. Hyacinth Bouquet vs Linford Christie perhaps?

I am sure my Arcam was partly to blame for the PMC's bottom-end reluctance. I remember when WHFI, Jan 07, did an all-in-one test, the first review of the DB1i's, CD73 and A70 completed the system. They did comment that A70 lacked a bit of verve and suggested the Roksan LIII along with CD73 and DB's would be the ideal combination. Which only goes to prove that detail and timing without excitement paints an incomplete picture.

So are the PMC's a good speaker? my answer would have to be a big fat NO. . .they are ruddy marvellous. Will I buy them? No. They retail at around & £800, factor in the additional cost of the stands and you're looking at the best part of a grand. That's a lot of money for a slight improvement.

Thanks all for your patience.

PP

A

Anonymous

Cheers for that PP, good stuff.

Sounds like you should get some home trials of the Spendor A5 and PMC GB1i. The A5 isn't cheap but would bring both scale and naturalness as well as clarity, timing and imaging. Hifi ain't a cheap hobby and it soon becomes clear that it takes cash to climb onto the higher rungs and make small improvements.

In MA's credit, my old RS1s were better than the SA1s for TV and movies, and they were finished very well for the cash. As soon as their flaws penetrate though....

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:I'm hoping that this may give some of the RS6's 'dissers' some food for thought!
Hey, as long as you enjoy the sound they make then who cares who disses them! All good fun though...

igglebert:Cheers for that PP, good stuff. Sounds like you should get some home trials of the Spendor A5 and PMC GB1i. The A5 isn't cheap but would bring both scale and naturalness as well as clarity, timing and imaging. Hifi ain't a cheap hobby and it soon becomes clear that it takes cash to climb onto the higher rungs and make small improvements. In MA's credit, my old RS1s were better than the SA1s for TV and movies, and they were finished very well for the cash. As soon as their flaws penetrate though....

Thank you. My knee caps are still recovering from this current test. But if anyone is prepared to lend me some Spendors and GB1's I'm more than happy to review them. . .

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:
d_a_n1979:Good write up that PP I'm hoping that this may give some of the RS6's 'dissers' some food for thought!

It's unlikely, dan. Where there's life. . . .

... there's ME ...

Joking aside, I go back to what I said earlier. You are used to 'boom boxes' and whilst I would not question their existence in a HT system, for music they lack certain qualities which you can normally only attain by spending more, or at the very least by spending the cash on quality drivers/components rather than swish looking cabs. AS ALWAYS, MY ONION ONLY.

That plus the ridiculous difference in size/number of drivers between the boom box and a DB1 will have seriously unbalanced what you're used to. You can always add bass by means of a sub if you really feel the need for it. What you can't add is clarity, openness, imaging and all the other good bits a quality speaker can add to your system by compromising these by way of a compromised transducer in those departments.

I might add, in the interest of some balance
emotion-5.gif
that I actually enjoyed the RS6 for a brief period with a sympathetic amp. It did'nt last long though ...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:Cheers for that PP, good stuff.Sounds like you should get some home trials of the Spendor A5 and PMC GB1i. The A5 isn't cheap but would bring both scale and naturalness as well as clarity, timing and imaging. Hifi ain't a cheap hobby and it soon becomes clear that it takes cash to climb onto the higher rungs and make small improvements.In MA's credit, my old RS1s were better than the SA1s for TV and movies, and they were finished very well for the cash. As soon as their flaws penetrate though....

You could call it an investment Iggle as long as you buy well your money will do as well as it does in a bank.

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts