Going. . . Going. . . Nearly gone!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
drummerman:plastic penguin:

d_a_n1979:Good write up that PP I'm hoping that this may give some of the RS6's 'dissers' some food for thought!

It's unlikely, dan. Where there's life. . . .

... there's ME ...

Joking aside, I go back to what I said earlier. You are used to 'boom boxes' and whilst I would not question their existence in a HT system, for music they lack certain qualities which you can normally only attain by spending more, or at the very least by spending the cash on quality drivers/components rather than swish looking cabs. AS ALWAYS, MY ONION ONLY.

That plus the ridiculous difference in size/number of drivers between the boom box and a DB1 will have seriously unbalanced what you're used to. You can always add bass by means of a sub if you really feel the need for it. What you can't add is clarity, openness, imaging and all the other good bits a quality speaker can add to your system by compromising these by way of a compromised transducer in those departments.

I might add, in the interest of some balance
emotion-5.gif
that I actually enjoyed the RS6 for a brief period with a sympathetic amp. It did'nt last long though ...

Your back on form, DM. I did make it crystal clear in my post that I didn't for one moment expect the DB's to have the depth. It's just they didn't, to my ears, do enough to justify spending £1,000. Yes, the MA's do have deficiences: the main one being they can be a little heavy-handed with certain types of music if cranked up. It's a trade-off, cause play a block buster film and they really shine. As you know, DM, hi-fi is, unless you have money to burn, a compromise.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i think igg had a great suggestion, you might get the best of both worlds with dynaudio, you might need an amp with a bit more poke though.

A

Anonymous

Is this a trend emerging about your Arcam? Maybe you should revisit the amp/speaker combo at some point in the future if you want to upgrade anything. I had wondered (gasp, horror, etc) whether the dissatisfying sound you got from the PMCs was due to it revealing your amp and source more. Just a thought...(runs for it to see Harry Potter at the cinema...)

igglebert:Is this a trend emerging about your Arcam? Maybe you should revisit the amp/speaker combo at some point in the future if you want to upgrade anything. I had wondered (gasp, horror, etc) whether the dissatisfying sound you got from the PMCs was due to it revealing your amp and source more. Just a thought...(runs for it to see Harry Potter at the cinema...)

Absolutely - I did touch on that in my summary of the PMC's [a few posts back]. Trying decipher what wpuld be the best combo and the ultimate sound is another question.

Damn hi-fi. Why can't it be easier.
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Ooh, I used to have one of those. It's a very musical amp, with a wee tweak of bass emphasis at the bottom making it quite rhythmic. It used to work quite well with my SA1s and I would expect it to make a great partner with the DB1s.

Maybe you could try something like an Icon Audio Stereo 25 with the DB1s or Proac 110. If you're after a good used buy then you could grab a Quad 405 and get Netaudio to upgrade it. I'll stop there...

igglebert:Ooh, I used to have one of those. It's a very musical amp, with a wee tweak of bass emphasis at the bottom making it quite rhythmic. It used to work quite well with my SA1s and I would expect it to make a great partner with the DB1s. Maybe you could try something like an Icon Audio Stereo 25 with the DB1s or Proac 110. If you're after a good used buy then you could grab a Quad 405 and get Netaudio to upgrade it. I'll stop there...

Hope you enjoyed the flicks? I was banking on you replying to this as I know you had the RA-03. Icon Audio and Netaudio i've never heard of before. Could you give any more details on it?

A

Anonymous

Thanks, Harry Potter was OK but I'd have stayed at home if it were just me
emotion-2.gif

The Quad 405 can be completely gutted and rebuilt with amp new boards and PSU; MK3 full conversion with dual-mono PSU by David Pritchard at Netaudio. I have used the standard 405 for some years and always enjoyed it's midrange but it could lack real welly and sounded a bit hard at times. The conversion sorted all of this for me with a final OP amp tweak to get it right. Highly recommended.

What else can be said of the RA03? I wouldn't partner it with MA speakers unless you want your ears scraping out. I thought it made a mess of the RS6's bass but I think both parties were to blame. I'd be quite tempted to partner it with something like the DB1s (and seriously considered it actually!). The midrange isn't the best on offer but it has a lovely smoothness. The bass and treble aren't entirely neutral (what do you expect at this price point!) but make for a rhythmic and punchy sound that this ex-Arcam Alpha 8/8P user could upgrade to with pleasure. I gave the RA03 to my dad in the end as it really is worth a lot more than it's used price.

The RA03s sell pretty easily in the used market so grab one and have a play.

igglebert:Thanks, Harry Potter was OK but I'd have stayed at home if it were just me
emotion-2.gif
The Quad 405 can be completely gutted and rebuilt with amp new boards and PSU; MK3 full conversion with dual-mono PSU by David Pritchard at Netaudio. I have used the standard 405 for some years and always enjoyed it's midrange but it could lack real welly and sounded a bit hard at times. The conversion sorted all of this for me with a final OP amp tweak to get it right. Highly recommended. What else can be said of the RA03? I wouldn't partner it with MA speakers unless you want your ears scraping out. I thought it made a mess of the RS6's bass but I think both parties were to blame. I'd be quite tempted to partner it with something like the DB1s (and seriously considered it actually!). The midrange isn't the best on offer but it has a lovely smoothness. The bass and treble aren't entirely neutral (what do you expect at this price point!) but make for a rhythmic and punchy sound that this ex-Arcam Alpha 8/8P user could upgrade to with pleasure. I gave the RA03 to my dad in the end as it really is worth a lot more than it's used price. The RA03s sell pretty easily in the used market so grab one and have a play.

The RA-03 might be tamed by the CD73T. Certainly had the required effect on a KandyLIII and Cyrus 8VS2. I've had a Rotel CD player before and loved it - fairly lean and fast so I'm banking on the 03 having a similar effect.

A

Anonymous

Would be interested to see what you think. The RA03 def ain't lean. I liked it for it's naturalness, power, punch and rhythm
emotion-8.gif
...perhaps I really should try a Naim pre/power...

igglebert:Would be interested to see what you think. The RA03 def ain't lean. I liked it for it's naturalness, power, punch and rhythm
emotion-8.gif
...perhaps I really should try a Naim pre/power...

If I can get it for couple of hundred quid, it'll be worth the punt.

Not another potential Naimer, surely. . . .

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Good choice imo. Some amplifiers that I know match well with the DB1's;

Denon's PMA 355 (UK) sounded as good as a Naim 5i and Arcam A38. Tonally somewhere in between the two with good bass and drive. Not to lean and not to heavy. I'd guess you get a good one for under a hundred quid. Cyrus 8vs2 even better.

Flying Mole's I00w/ch Integrated really impressed me. Around 1k.

drummerman:

Good choice imo. Some amplifiers that I know match well with the DB1's;

Denon's PMA 355 (UK) sounded as good as a Naim 5i and Arcam A38. Tonally somewhere in between the two with good bass and drive. Not to lean and not to heavy. I'd guess you get a good one for under a hundred quid. Cyrus 8vs2 even better.

Flying Mole's I00w/ch Integrated really impressed me. Around 1k.

Thanks for that DM. It'll take a while to audition a punchy, attacking amp. Then tackle the minefield which is web auction sites. A'int keen on something so alien. Crikey, it was only a year ago I found the on/off switch on the PC. . .lol

Still won't say a bad word about the RS6's. . .still wonderful.

A

Anonymous

Blimey, what a change! I hope it turns out to be the right decision for you. Can you audition them back at the dealer on some amps just to see if they do indeed punch in the right direction for you? Just to be sure you're chasing the right storm...

So what sort of sound are you after? Do you want smooth and a little relaxed (Quad), punchy and a little forward/well lit (Cyrus, Naim), imaging and detail (perhaps Cambridge Audio 840)? I would definately consider trying the CA 840A at the current price of £699. If you ever manage to get over to where I am (Oundle) then you're welcome to audition the mod'ed Quad.

igglebert:Blimey, what a change! I hope it turns out to be the right decision for you. Can you audition them back at the dealer on some amps just to see if they do indeed punch in the right direction for you? Just to be sure you're chasing the right storm... So what sort of sound are you after? Do you want smooth and a little relaxed (Quad), punchy and a little forward/well lit (Cyrus, Naim), imaging and detail (perhaps Cambridge Audio 840)? I would definately consider trying the CA 840A at the current price of £699. If you ever manage to get over to where I am (Oundle) then you're welcome to audition the mod'ed Quad.

Oh yes. It is down to what amp will give the PMC's the required punch and attack. One thing you can guarantee is I'm thorough, veering towards a 'pain' where dealers are concerned. That's probably why I keep my equipment so long. . . .

Therein lies another problem: I can't have an amp with the on/off switch on the back, that rules out the Naim and Roksan. This is due to the OH being a wheelchair user - so you see the hurdles I have to overcome, and why it won't happen overnight.

A

Anonymous

How about a remote control socket like this one? At a tenner you haven't got anything to lose (well a tenner, ok). Try one and see if it affects the sound.

Good luck with the amp hunt. I reckon with a pair of DB1i it should be a pretty painless hunt.

igglebert:How about a remote control socket like this one? At a tenner you haven't got anything to lose (well a tenner, ok). Try one and see if it affects the sound. Good luck with the amp hunt. I reckon with a pair of DB1i it should be a pretty painless hunt.

Crikey, what a good device. Didn't know such an animal existed.

Many thanks for that, iggle

TRENDING THREADS