Going. . . Going. . . Nearly gone!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
JohnDuncan:Oh stop being so poe-faced Andrew.

Gentlemen - all this squabbling and bickering over a couple of small boxes
emotion-10.gif

Yup, I'll report back later. If I can I'll try and scrounge a home demo. . . .

Andrew Everard:Didn't you know? Every thread on here eventually descends into maelstrom, and then gets buried prematurely...

I'm looking at new speakers and, in the spirit of the forum, report back with a transparant, balanced, detailed and not too bottom-heavy, view.

JohnDuncan:Yeah, it's the pits sometimes...

I'm going in to see Derek with an open mind. Taking my RS6's along to see whether you are right about their sound quality - or will it turn out to be an urban myth?

Either way, I'm going to judge the speakers on their own merits, bearing in mind they won't have the attack or scale of my RS6. . .

I've returned with test samples. I listened to Usher S-520, Linn 19 something (very new, anyway) and PMC DB1i's. The Ushers were very good indeed. They demonstrated immense agility, detail and good bass depth, certainly for £350.00. The Linn's on the other hand, although slightly more talented, I didn't think they warranted an additional £400.00 or so.

Lastly, we come to the PMC's. I was so shocked at the size I thought they came from a midi-system. They are so cute to look at, yet despite popular belief, size does not matter! They were insightful, detailed and packed a heavy punch for the size. So are they better than the RS6's? Dunno. . .yet.

The retailer has let me have them until Saturday to give them a right good test.

I need some help - just got one speaker out of the box and noticed there's two plugs going into the top terminal and the other end (spade grips) going into the bottom. Do I need to keep the leads plugged in? I've just phoned the retailer and the guy I saw had gone home - the person I spoke to sounded a little unsure.

A

Anonymous

Sounds like there are jumpers fitted......leave the spades and put the bananas from the spades into the other sockets......then......put your speaker leads into the vacant sockets....the ones with the spades.....

John Duncan

If you're single wiring, leave the plugs wired in, and plug your speaker cable into the bottom plugs. If you're bi-wiring, remove the cables and plug your biwire cables into their respective sets of terminals.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Like this?

20080712165747imgResize.phps.jpg

Pretty standard bi-wire terminals with bridges. Leave bridges in place unless bi-wiring/bi-amping.

Maybe the dealer has replaced the bridges with short cables and spades.

chebby:

Like this?

20080712165747imgResize.phps.jpg

Pretty standard bi-wire terminals with bridges. Leave bridges in place unless bi-wiring/bi-amping.

Maybe the dealer has replaced the bridges with short cables and spades.

Almost like phonos going into the top two and spades into the bottom. I have bare wires, so the bare wire wrap around the bottom spades?

A

Anonymous

So how's it going PP? Are you enjoying clarity, detail and lovely imaging?
emotion-2.gif

igglebert:So how's it going PP? Are you enjoying clarity, detail and lovely imaging?
emotion-2.gif

Pork stir-fry has got some lovely depth and clarity. Just plating up our food.
emotion-4.gif

And I've just realised I need to pop up the shop to buy some Blu-tak. All this standmounter malarky is getting too much already.

I'll report in about 1 hour (how long does washing up take?)

plastic penguin:

igglebert:So how's it going PP? Are you enjoying clarity, detail and lovely imaging?
emotion-2.gif

Pork stir-fry has got some lovely depth and clarity. Just plating up our food.
emotion-4.gif

And I've just realised I need to pop up the shop to buy some Blu-tak. All this standmounter malarky is getting too much already.

I'll report in about 1 hour (how long does washing up take?)

Warming up the MA's as we speak.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
So have the RS6's gone then Sir?

It looks like I'm going back down the Arcam & M/A RS6 route. I cant help myself!

I know I've had them before but they have just been the best speaker for me and my musical tastes!

I'm either going to go down the Arcam Alpha 9 and 9P route OR and Arcam Alpha 10 integrated on it's own or the Arcam DiVA A85 integrated for the time being and then look to pick up a P85 when I can find one on eBay.

Some very good deals for the M/A RS6's current ex-dem via SSAV and on eBay.

I'll keep you posted!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts