Going all Rega

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Rega Brio R + Rega Dac + Rega Apollo R (in the new year) with Monitor Audio RX2 or Rega RS3 ?

In need of help

I've tried the RX2's and loved them but I can't hear the RS3's locally. What do people think of a full Rega combo?

I really like my hip hop and trance music. How is the RS3 for big bass beats?

If there are any other speaker suggestions that produce a good sound for hip hop bass?

A

Anonymous

Chebby how do you find the RS3's?

I haven't got a demo nearby. Love the look and have heard an all Rega setup sounds amazing. Under rated speakers or over hyped?

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Barry - have you got the new issue of What Hi Fi (Jan 2012)? It includes a one-make system supertest, including a Rega system along the lines you're considering (Dac, Brio-R and RS3s). I won't give too much away, though lets just say the all-Rega combo performs very well.

I'm actually running an all-Rega system myself (Apollo, Dac, Mira 3, RS 3s and heavily modded P3). At the price, it's really very difficult to fault the set up. The RS3s are great little speakers, with good resolution, detail and soundstage. To my ears, they have a very natural mid-range and fast and agile bass. They're also pretty versatile with the side-firing bass ports - i.e., it makes a significant difference to the sound whether you have them facing in or out. However, you're not going to get earth shattering bass lines from the RS3s. Indeed, I'd suggest that my system really comes into its own with folk, jazz, vocal and acoustic music. That's not to say it's not an all-rounder, though if you're listening preferences are predominantly hip hop and dance, you may be better off experimenting with other options. It's a pity your auditioning opportunities are limited - it's really worth making a trip before you invest the cash.

A

Anonymous

You get great synergy with an all rega system. I would not get any other speakers but the Rega RS3s or the Rega RS5s with the Rega Dac/Brio-R combo. Don't even bother getting the cd player. A squeezebox touch with a upgraded powersupply is all you need. If you do want to get the cd player because you're not into streaming, I would recommend skipping the DAC.

A

Anonymous

I wanted the Rega Dac as I'm going to be attaching a Sonos Z90 to my Nas drive.

I still wanted the CD player because I love having original copies and because the wife does get streaming. Another reason why I am picking Rega components is because of their simplicity. Wife needs music in her life too but is techno tragic.

Do you think the RS3's produce enough bass?

That’s the only down side to Rega Brio R is that there is no bass or treble adjustments, so getting the right speaker is crucial.

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
How big is your room?

As I stated above, you're not going to get seismic bass-lines from the RS3s. That's just not where their strength lies, although the bass is fast, agile and well defined (as I said). Whether the bass is enough is purely subjective and only you'll know when you hear them.

If you do want to go all-Rega (there is much to be said for the system synergy) and bass is your thing, then it's probably worth looking at a pair of RS5s, which have a bigger and bassier sound signature. I'm guessing your budget won't stretch to the RS7s, though if you're longer term aims are moving up the hifi chain from the Brio-r and Dac, then the RS7s are a great speaker and a must listen.

A

Anonymous

Can the Brio R push the RS7's?

Thought that the amp wouldn't have enough to make those speakers shine.

Do you think a Monitor Audio + Rega combo wouldn't sound good together?

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
The RS7s are a fairly easy load to drive, so the Brio-r shouldn't have a problem with them. Although, it's certainly not going to get the best out of those speakers. The RS7s would really only be worth considering, if you see yourself getting seriously into hifi and are already thinking about a longer term upgrade plan.

I've not heard the MAs, so can't comment on that combo with the Brio-r.

How big is your listening room and what is it like? That will have a significant impact on the sound.

I know it's a hassle if you haven't got the right hi-fi dealer near you, but I really would suggest holding off making a purchase until you've auditioned a few options. I stick by my comments that the all Rega combo (incredible as it is) may not be the best option if your primary listening choices are dance and hip hop.

A

Anonymous

Barry,

I would demo the RegaDac + Brio-R + Rs3/Rs5. You're either going to love it.. or well, maybe not love it so much. I spent over a year trying to mix and match components (Tried various combinations of Naim, Monitor Audio, Arcam, Rega, NAD) but finally have settled on RegaDac + Brio-R + Rs5s. Just sounds excellent for the kind of music I hear. (Pop/Rock/Jazz) and also some Black Eyed Peas.

Every component you have out there will have some limitations and somethings that it excels at. The cool thing about getting an all rega system: Components make up for each other deficiencies: it'll shine where it can shine, and cover up flaws where it needs to.

Doing mix and match is good too to get exactly your sound signature, but one year later, you'll still be doing that and will be more interested in hifi equipment than music.

oh well, something else you might want to try with the Brio-R are the Totem Arros. (See, even more cofusion). I feel the RS5s will outclass any Monitor Audio speakers IN THIS SYSTEM.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts