Getting Speaker Stands Level

Dom

I bought a spirit level today, and levelled my speakers. Whilst it's not perfect it's Ok. There a bit off in all directions, north south east and west. Some of the spikes are stiff and are hard to turn.

Do you think it's good practice to have the balance as precise as possible.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
DomCheetham said:
I bought a spirit level today, and levelled my speakers. Whilst it's not perfect it's Ok. There a bit off in all directions, north south east and west. Some of the spikes are stiff and are hard to turn.

Do you think it's good practice to have the balance as precise as possible.

Within reason, and without getting too anal about it, yes.

More important is that the stands and speakers are solidly located, with no rocking corner to corner. If the spikes are stiff, a squirt of WD40 or similar should loosen them up and enable you to adjust them, then fix them in place with the lock-nuts.

Dom

Thanks for the WD-40 tip.

They do not rock but they are a little off, and it will be a challenge to get them level, which is why I asked.

cheers_intro_logo.png

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
DomCheetham said:

They do not rock but they are a little off, and it will be a challenge to get them level, which is why I asked.

Are you using a "normal" straight level, if so a circular turntable level will make it easier.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Q5 said:
DomCheetham said:

Are you using a "normal" straight level, if so a circular turntable level will make it easier.

If you have a smartphone you can download a free app with a circular spirit level.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
DIY experts and the OCD brigade will all be coming round your house later to get your stands perfectly level *smile*

It is perfectly simple to do your self...*unknw*

Level one diagonal first, then the other, providing the spikes move reasonably freely and you are methodical, it really is dead simple. Do it right, do it once.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I have always focussed on making sure that my speakers are stable, and do not sway about, and never given a second thought to using a protractor to make sure that they are 100% aligned horizontally a vertically.

Starting from the idea that the tweeters should be at the same height as the listeners ears, if the speakers are a small fraction of a degree out of line horizontally, your ears will be just a few millimetres out of line in your normal seated position - so i don't think achieving 100% accuracy is absolutely essential.

Presumably the situation is different for hifi dealers/manufacturers at hifi shows. Even if they align the tweeters 100% accurately for the average sized seated visitor to their stand/room (say 175 cm tall), then all the non-average visitors (eg 160 cm or 190 cm tall), will have their ears several cm away from the optimum position, for hearing the treble. The situation would be more extreme if some of the visitors are standing. Maybe DDC can comment if this potential mis-alignment really is a big issue at hifi shows.

Make sure the speakers and the stands do not move / shake during playing music is a must.

For perfet alignment , symmetrical , ... ... is not a must ... because your head will move and your listening area is not symmetrical in shape or material. Moreover, your equipment output is not 100% symmertrical, your speakers are not 100% the same, and the last thing ... your ears / hearing abilities are not 100% the same.

Perfet alignment is only for visual comfort.

Dom

davedotco said:
jonathanRD said:
DIY experts and the OCD brigade will all be coming round your house later to get your stands perfectly level *smile*

It is perfectly simple to do your self...*unknw*

Level one diagonal first, then the other, providing the spikes move reasonably freely and you are methodical, it really is dead simple. Do it right, do it once.

Ok, thanks I will give it a go.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
expat_mike said:
I have always focussed on making sure that my speakers are stable, and do not sway about, and never given a second thought to using a protractor to make sure that they are 100% aligned horizontally a vertically.

Starting from the idea that the tweeters should be at the same height as the listeners ears, if the speakers are a small fraction of a degree out of line horizontally, your ears will be just a few millimetres out of line in your normal seated position - so i don't think achieving 100% accuracy is absolutely essential.

Presumably the situation is different for hifi dealers/manufacturers at hifi shows. Even if they align the tweeters 100% accurately for the average sized seated visitor to their stand/room (say 175 cm tall), then all the non-average visitors (eg 160 cm or 190 cm tall), will have their ears several cm away from the optimum position, for hearing the treble. The situation would be more extreme if some of the visitors are standing. Maybe DDC can comment if this potential mis-alignment really is a big issue at hifi shows.

This is actually quite an interesting and important subject, rarely discussed but does answer a good few questions as to why systems behave the way they do.

The first thing to realise is that dispersion is purely a function of the cone/dome diameter, a typical 1 inch tweeter has perfectly good dispersion at all but supersonic frequencies, this isn't really an issue.

What is the issue is the effect that occurs at and around the crossover point, when both the bass/mid and the tweeter are producing the same frequencies. There are two issues with this, firstly the two drivers 'couple' to each other producing, in effect, a single large driver, noticeably in the vertical plane when the tweeter is above the bass/mid unit, this tightens the dispersion around the crossover point in the vertical plane.

Secondly the time alignment of the two drivers, in the normal tweeter above bass driver arrangement means that the dispersion is skewed in a downwards direction. Again, as this is around the crossover point, this is close to the 'brightness' region, so these critical frequencies drop off rapidly above the horizontal axis of the tweeter. This explains why speakers sound so different when you stand up and why reflections from a hard floor in front of the speakers is so important.

In a show situation, to finally get to your question, the biggest issue is getting the punters to sit down, the effects described above lead to most speakers sounding dull and lacking in presence and sparkle when standing up, not because of a lack of real high frequencies but a lack in the 3-4k region.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks DDC, an interesting answer.

I presume this basic physics can help to partly explain, why in threads about Bristol HiFi shows, some visitors report that a particular hifi system sounded brilliant, and other visitors report the same system sounded below par. Maybe most of the difference in opinion is due to whether both visitors were seated.

I appreciate that for some of the very popular rooms, getting a spare seat can be difficult.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
expat_mike said:
Thanks DDC, an interesting answer.

I presume this basic physics can help to partly explain, why in threads about Bristol HiFi shows, some visitors report that a particular hifi system sounded brilliant, and other visitors report the same system sounded below par. Maybe most of the difference in opinion is due to whether both visitors were seated.

I appreciate that for some of the very popular rooms, getting a spare seat can be difficult.

When it comes to hi-fi shows, there are lots of variables. The quality of the room is always an issue and the standard sound quality is not great. My solution is to keep the system as simple and cheap as possible, making a decent sound from an entry level setup is much more impressive than making a decent sound from an expensive one.

Also a big issue is the way the response of a room changes depending on whether it is nearly full or nearly empty, you would be amazed the difference it makes. If I was running such a room and was reasonably confident about making a good sound, then I would do proper, ticketed, sit down dems, not all the time of course but if people are really interested, then they will turn up and you have an audience on whom you can weave your magic.

Dom

The side to side and forward and backward is good enough, the diaginals are a bit off on both, but trying to do this accidently removing the spike off twice. As I tried to put one back on the speaker slowly moved forward and lightly knocked my head, ofcourse I panicked and removed the cover to see if I had dented the tweeter. Well it looks as good as new, I guess I hit the cover bar. All is Ok, I think.

I should remove the speaker off the stand first, but can't be bothered. So ending this challange, its good enough.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Are you trying to level the stands with the speakers in place?

I know it is your money and your choice, but spending £1000 + on hardware and not getting the basics right...*unknw*

That said, it is hardly unusual, I see so few systems that are properly set up, some costing way more than yours, I really don't understand it.

The importance of a level stand is never paramount. The idea that they are firmly placed is. More importantly is they are the correct height. Even more important is that you have actually moved then apart and back again to ascertain the best possible position they can be placed in within your listening area.

If you haven't done this then a level speaker is just another pointless excercise.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
The idea that they are firmly placed is. More importantly is they are the correct height.

Agreed: take the speakers off the stands, get the stands level(ish) but above all firmly planted, with no rocking in either diagonal direction, then put the speakers back on. And if you move the speakers, repeat as above: not all floors are completely level.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
This isn't meant to be sarky or bullying but if you want to get real value having spent a substantial sum of money, these things are important.

Back when I was a dealer, 1 used to take every opportunity that came my way to get into peoples homes, whether they were already customers or not. It was very rare indeed that improvements could not be made, mostly it was just setup and positioning and I would have put serious money on my ability to improve the sound of any existing system significantly at minimal cost.

Take this as you wish, but if you are keen on getting the best from your setup, it needs to be 'done right', if you are happy to settle for 'good enough' thats fine too, just be aware of where you are at.

Dom

davedotco said:
This isn't meant to be sarky or bullying but if you want to get real value having spent a substantial sum of money, these things are important.

Back when I was a dealer, 1 used to take every opportunity that came my way to get into peoples homes, whether they were already customers or not. It was very rare indeed that improvements could not be made, mostly it was just setup and positioning and I would have put serious money on my ability to improve the sound of any existing system significantly at minimal cost.

Take this as you wish, but if you are keen on getting the best from your setup, it needs to be 'done right', if you are happy to settle for 'good enough' thats fine too, just be aware of where you are at.

Thanks, I do take this serously, Its why I post on WHF. My only excuse is that since they are blu tacked, it's a little hassle take them off the stands and possibly damaging them that way, by slipping out of my hands or somthing , but in hind sight it seems like an obvious and simple thing to do.

I'm paranoid there is something wrong, and that will last the life time of these speakers are with me, but I'm pretty sure there sonically good and thats a big deal, but it's not a relief at all.

I feel pretty low and wish it not happened.

Like I said in my last post, I will level the stands with the speakers off and I will post about it.

Thanks for commenting.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts