Getting Sky+HD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Im getting sky +HD a week today( after a 3 month wait), since getting BD im addicted to watching films(8 in 6 days), is there really much difference between HD & BD, its only i have not heard anything mentioned about the diffrence between the pictue and sound quality.

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
If your equipment is top notch and correctly callibrated, BD will outperform HD as SkyHD is transmitted in 1080i while BluRay players will deliver a 1080p signal which is superior. To deliver a 1080p signal it demands a huge amout of data transfer, something which is of a premium using sat transfer. Also, instead of the compressed Dolby surround of SkyHD, you will experience (in most cases) Dolby True HD (or DTS Master) which is practically lossless. In other words, the sound signal is almost identical to the original mix.

You will however have to have a suitable receiver capable of decoding the true HD audio signal which is only delivered via the BluRay player's HDMI cable and is NOT delivered through the standard coaxial or optical outputs!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
andrewg:Im getting sky +HD a week today( after a 3 month wait), since getting BD im addicted to watching films(8 in 6 days), is there really much difference between HD & BD, its only i have not heard anything mentioned about the diffrence between the pictue and sound quality.

A good transfered film like The Departed on Sky HD looks brilliant but it is bettered by bluray. However, when it comes to sound, it's game over for Sky HD. Most films, SD or HD on Sky have only a DD 5.1 soundtrack, nothing better, not DTS or any HD audio. This is where bluray takes over. Still, there is an ever growing supply of HD channels now on Sky, so much so, I usually only moan when the football is on ITV or Setanta, or when something good on BBC is not on 143 as well as 101.

A

Anonymous

Also do they have to change the external wires from the dish, at the moment i have Sky+

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, the same cabling will suffice, but you might want to get the installer to have a look at the state of the dish and cabling connections to it, in case they need replacing/remaking - as they may if the installation's been up there a while.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

If you also took out a multiroom subscription then they will more than likely change the LNB over to a quad.

This will allow both your SKY+ and SKYHD to operate at the same time and allow you to watch one channel while recording another on the same box.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
You can watch one programme and record another on the normal Sky+HD box. ÿThe only snag is that HD recordings take up much more space than SD and it would be better if the hard disk was twice the size!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Indeed, but the point Cofnchtr was making was that the quad LNB multiroom set-up will allow you to do this in two different rooms - so you could be watching/recording four different channels at once.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
hi,

Just what I was going to say Andrew but you obviously got out of bed before me this morning - or this afternoon as it is now!

Fry up anyone?!

Happy 2009 all.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

Ok just had it installed i have the optical going to my a/v and the hdmi to the tv, shall i keep it like this or plug the hdmi to the a/v as well

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts