GermanMAESTRO GMP400 - review

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
This brand is relatively unknown and that's a real shame because they have some great sound quality. If only their design, materials and comfort were as impressive they could really take off.

EDD_6327.jpg

The GMP400 is an open-back flagship priced at £200. To see my full review click here:

http://noblehifi.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/germanmaestro-gmp400-review.html

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
This is the kind of review I like - having enough detail to get a real sense of the sound, and the fit and durability. In spite of the reservations about build quality, and since this would be strictly listen-at-home, perhaps it's durable enough to last a year or so at the desk? The high end is rather critical for me, and while I find the HP200 just a tad bright, if this headphone had just slightly less presence (but not a whole lot less presence) than the HP200, I might see the way to purchase one. I find the v-moda M100 treble near-perfect when the bass is reduced - could this be a match to the M100, or would it have less presence and/or upper highs compared to the M100?

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Dale, glad you liked it :).

If you're careful with your equipment and don't take them out then I think the durability is enough to last several years. It's only if you're a bit rough with them that I think they won't hold up. The rest of my reservations are based more on fit and visual aesthetics.

Comparing these to the M-100 is tough for many reasons, but the biggest facctor would be the closed vs open back sound. The fit and clamp is totally oppositereally, as is the sensitivity. Even thinking of the M-100's with bass reduction they'd still have greater presence I think yes.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
You mean the GMP400 would have greater presence, or the M100?. Speaking of presence, that's where the Momentum failed for me. It had great presence, then enough rolloff above there to make an obviously unbalanced treble. That would be a good point to know about the 400.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, more presence on the M-100. There did seem something odd about the rolloff on the GMP400 as well, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

I fell out with the Momentums as well. I have just got the Amperior (finally), I'm not saying that the Amperior is alltogether better, but I am enjouying it and it seems to amp really well off the Benchmark DAC2 HGC, which isn't great for everything and I'm not sure if I blame the headphones or the amp more for this. For this price it certainly shouldn't be the amp! Neat little unit though.

TRENDING THREADS