Futureproof-necessary?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I've been purchasing your mag for a few months with a view to getting more knowledge before taking the plunge with a new TV.

I fancy a plasma about 42" and was set on the Samsung PS42Q97 retailing approx. £750 with 3yr warranty, however after reading the supertest I've noticed the Panny TH-42PZ70 approx £1055. no warranty.

My problem is this I've only got a Humax PVR Freeview as input (no Sky etc. though I might look at this if the price comes down later on!)so really the full HD will only come into play when I get an upscale DVD Player though I'm thinking that my current CRT has lasted well and I need to think about futureproofing my set HD wise.

Basically does anyone think the Panny is worth the extra outlay when I could be using it towards a tech+link ovid stand and suitable DVD player.

HHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!

A

Anonymous

I've read so many reviews and seen and heard so many TV's that I'm sure that once I've actually bought the one I've decided on, I will suffer from withdrawal symptoms.........Still one can go on forever always waiting for what may appear to be the next best thing around the corner.

Having telephoned Samsung Electronics' Technical Department yesterday in Chertsey I now unequivocally know that the PS42Q96HDX is exactly the same TV as the PSQ4297HDX and even though my local Currys store is selling it at £949.00 (the same as John Lewis though Lewis have also attached a 5 year warranty to it) I have got them to agree to sell it to me at £699.00 the same as that shown on their sister company's Dixons website. After 11 months should I want to buy an extended warranty, I can as I've done in the past, go onto Domestic & General's website and buy one from between 1 and 5 years, though if you buy one for only a year they will in anycase send you a renewal notice at the end of the first year with the option to extend for another year and so on. Cheaper this was, and the majority of retailers now sell warranties through D & G but you pay more, and in one go, if you buy through the retailer.

As for the Samsung PS42Q96HDX, I was enthralled by it's handling of both SD Sky, HD, and Upscaled DVD's. Problem is both these Samsung Models, haven't really had enough 'airplay' compared with the likes of Panasonic and Pioneer, and believe me, which is better is purely a matter of opinion, though in my case I have convinced myself that all things taken into consideration, either of the above Samsung models ( one has a rounded edge at the botton whilst the other a squarer face) is the best 42 ins Plasma out there at present purely on picture quality. I love it's rich detail and colours which make figures come to life and for £699.00.....I for one ain't gonna argue.

A

Anonymous

Yes....the 50inch Samsung 96HDX and 97HDX are also great TV's

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys, I liked the look of the Samsung sets from day one and importantly so did she who must be obeyed.

Gotta say though there is a nagging feeling I'm gonna regret not going full HD am I worrying over nothing or in the future will all TV be HD?

Also who is going to win the 2011 rugby world cup?(joke!)

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Stop worrying and get your cash out and start enjoying a nice new screen!

The differnces you will see on a screen of this size between 1080I and 1080p are not as big as you may imagine. HD DVD and DVD upscaled to 1080i look fantastic on my Samsung 50"".

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys,

Just off to currys for anoither look before I price it up online.

Thanks for your time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts