Fun speakers for around 2500$

FredrikT92

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Hello!

So for the last 5 years of my life ive been a headphone guy. From Denon AH-D2000, LCD-2 and now LCD-3F and Hifiman HE-6.
But I feel its time to get some speakers as I finally have a place where I can play loud. However, the room is not ideal at all, and as I understand its not good to have speakers which overpower the room. I have no clue about speakers, so I need some help.
Room is 4x3,5m with height of only around 1,96m. My budget is around 2500$, meaning that I can stretch it a little bit if its for a big improvement. Ive been listening to a few options, Dynaudio, System Audio, B&W, Dali and Sonus. But I see on Whathifi that those arent what wins the awards... :p

I do actually have 2 stereoamplifiers. FirstWatt F6 & Pass Labs INT-150, both are for sale, I will keep the 1 which doesnt get sold first.
They are used for the HE-6 headphones. And I might not actually keep neither of these. Havent decided yet, but basicly, the budget is for speakers only.

What would you guys recommend?

Thank You!

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I'd recommend not getting hung up about whether they are award winners or 5 star products. Sure, use that as a guide when considering what to audit, but keep an open mind. Hard to advise because of different pricing in different markets, but you need to work out what you want from the sound.

BTW, I didn't realize the HE-6 were so power hungry. Did they benefit from 150 watts into 8 ohms and 300 watts Ono 4 ohms?

FredrikT92

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I try to keep an open mind. Ideally id try find some used. Some dealers ive spoken with have recommended PMC Twenty 22, Cabasse Bora, Scansonic MB-1, ATC and Magnat, so its difficult when I cant demo everything! I was also interested in a pair of ProAC Response D2 which is for sale, used. But often when buying used you might not be able to demo, so then its good with guidence aswell. The pricing isent too here.

For HE-6 is not so much about the wattage, but the quality of the amp and the voltage swing.
I mean... you dont need more then 2W @ 50ohm for it, but if it doesnt have the voltage it wont make the HE-6 sing.
FirstWatt F6 is "only" 50W @ 4ohm, but its voltage is pretty decent for HE-6. Class A is recommended.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
The most fun sounding passive speaker I've heard to date was the Russell K Red 100. Not so widely available yet, I'm afraid. But you might be lucky and have a dealer with a demo pair nearby. Where do you live?

Read the reviews in Hifi+, the Ear and TAS to get an idea. But hearing is believing...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Oddly enough, I just read a review of the PSB Imagine T (not T2)

The reviewer thought it was voiced more to 'american tastes', with a (very slight) smiley curve which minimally enhances the frequency extremes whilst preserving and presenting everything in between vividly and acurately. He quoted it a fun speaker that makes most things enjoyable with only very few occasions the titanium tweeter became 'uncouth' but never to the extend that it would destract from the rest.

Good looking too.

Many british designs are voiced slightly forward and bright (sometimes also known as 'accurate' but can sound a little hifi as a consequence.

Mission also make fun speakers and one of their high end models may suit.

drummerman said:

The reviewer thought it was voiced more to 'american tastes', with a (very slight) smiley curve which minimally enhances the frequency extremes whilst preserving and presenting everything in between vividly and acurately. He quoted it a fun speaker that makes most things enjoyable with only very few occasions the titanium tweeter became 'uncouth' but never to the extend that it would destract from the rest.

Good looking too.

Many british designs are voiced slightly forward and bright (sometimes also known as 'accurate' but can sound a little hifi as a consequence.

You beat me to it with the mention of the Missions, good suggestion.

The PSB's I guess, being Canadian, are more than likely 'voiced' that way because they are going to sell the majority of products to the US and home markets. I have yet to understand exactly what that means though as the speakers i have are also from a US manufacturer and I cannot hear any 'voicing' difference from what I know certain home-grown speakers sound like in my room. There would certainly appear to be no major differences in frequency response of drivers or major changes in cross-over points so I am wondering what else they would modify. Anyway, it probably makes no odds as the OP is quoting figures in dollars (although that does not have to mean he is resident in the States I guess).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The speakers you go for may depend on the amp that you keep.

Brands that you might consider are:

- Harbeth
- Audio Note
- Triangle
- GamuT
- Diapason

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
drummerman said:

Good looking too.

You beat me to it with the mention of the Missions, good suggestion.

The PSB's I guess, being Canadian, are more than likely 'voiced' that way because they are going to sell the majority of products to the US and home markets. I have yet to understand exactly what that means though as the speakers i have are also from a US manufacturer and I cannot hear any 'voicing' difference from what I know certain home-grown speakers sound like in my room. There would certainly appear to be no major differences in frequency response of drivers or major changes in cross-over points so I am wondering what else they would modify. Anyway, it probably makes no odds as the OP is quoting figures in dollars (although that does not have to mean he is resident in the States I guess).

Yes, I guess the 'smiley' curve (to different extents) makes a slightly more fun sound.

Similar to a loudness button at lower volumes.

I guess it is a tribute to the PSB's designs that this doesn't err in the wrong direction at high volumes according to the review.

As to the Missions, its the SX line of models (1 - 4) which depict that particular manufacturers pinnacle. With P.J.Comeau at the helm, I would expect them to be everything but mediocre. He knows his speakers and as he also designs other brands under the IAG banner, Quad and Castle to name two, he should be able to clearly distinguish between the designs with Quad and Castle more appealing to the classical market according to him in an interview.

I also think they (SX) look superb and build is apparently fantastic (SX1 review). Similar to the PSB.

Thing is, there is an abundance of great products at the OP's budget.

Personally, as well as the above two (and probably others the longer I think) I would love to hear one of the hybrid electrostatic models of Cadence/India. They too, apparently, go loud effortlessly with the advantage of that lovely, curved top panel.

Choices ... choices :)

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
If you are looking for fun, definitely check out Audio Physics if you can. I ended up buying some floorstanders recently for a similar sized room and they work a treat. They also sound superb which helps!

Good luck in your search.

FredrikT92

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Ive actually heard the PSB Imagine T2. But it was a private demo with acoustic solid, some unknown tube amps etc, he also seem to have a problem with the right channel being more focused. So I cant really give a positive impression as of yet, but they look very nice indeed!

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I bought the Classic 10s. Not heard the sitara range but I would imagine they have a similar house sound and probably even better performance!

Be mindful of the porting (speakers higher up the range tend to have a rather large rear port or two!)arrangements as they might not work so well in a smaller room. But, do try and listen to them before you commit!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FredrikT92 said:
Which 1 of the audio physics?? I can buy the sitara 40% off. 
I heard the Sitaras at the Northern Ireland Audio Show. They were on the end of a system consisting of a Bel Canto CDP and a Belles Amp. They sounded pleasant and musical, but
lacked a little excitement. I strongly suspect that this was more to do with the large hotel conference room they were in, which was far from ideal.

FWIW. I think they are a decent contender and worth consideration, especially with 40% off. Try to get a listen, if you can.

Scroll down to room CR4: http://www.adventuresinhifiaudio.com/12/11/2010/the-northern-ireland-audio-show-2010-part-one/

NS496

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
The PMC features a 'transmission line TL' type of port... I love the bass quality of transmission line speakers, my own B&W P4 uses this and it gives a very good bass quality to my ears and sounds different from most other speakers with normal bass reflex port, although I accept it may not be to everybody's likening - but certainly makes things 'exciting'. I would definately have the PMC's on shortlist!

FredrikT92

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Yeah so far I have these on the list:
Scansonic MB 1
Scansonic MB 2.5 (I'm worryed that these might overpower my room)
PMC Twenty 22
PSB Imagine T/T2
Cabasse Bora
ProAc Response D2
Audio Physic Sitara
Russel K Red 100

So its mostly shelf speakers... More small floorspeakers to recommend?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FredrikT92 said:
In terms of room size, is there anything I should look for when selecting speakers?Some say I should have front bass reflex port etc.
It depends how far from the corners or back wall they will be and how good your room's acoustics are.

I suspect you should be looking at small Floorstanders or Standmounts. Front ported or sealed may help.

FWIW. Audio Note speakers are designed for corner placement; Guru Junior work close to walls and ATC make good sealed speakers (SCM range)

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
FredrikT92 said:
Scansonic MB 1

Scansonic MB 2.5 (I'm worryed that these might overpower my room)

The Scansonic MB range are really worth checking out. They're pretty much, more affordable speakers from the makers of Raidho.

Most of the UK guys on here won't be aware of them, or have heard them, but they are very impressive. System matching wise, don't have an overly bright sounding amp.

The MB2.5 floorstander needs space and room to breath. It's also a gorgeous, modern looking speaker.

z

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
FredrikT92 said:
Yeah so far I have these on the list:Scansonic MB 1Scansonic MB 2.5 (I'm worryed that these might overpower my room)PMC Twenty 22PSB Imagine T/T2Cabasse BoraProAc Response D2Audio Physic SitaraRussel K Red 100

You could add the PMC Twenty 23 (front firing port), the Neat sx2 and perhaps the sx1 (both downward firing).

I ended up with the AP classic range as they are not fully ported, more vented so are more forgiving in smaller rooms but still have great bass depth.

p_m_brown said:
FredrikT92 said:
Yeah so far I have these on the list:Scansonic MB 1Scansonic MB 2.5 (I'm worryed that these might overpower my room)PMC Twenty 22PSB Imagine T/T2Cabasse BoraProAc Response D2Audio Physic SitaraRussel K Red 100

You could add the PMC Twenty 23 (front firing port), the Neat sx2 and perhaps the sx1 (both downward firing).

I ended up with the AP classic range as they are not fully ported, more vented so are more forgiving in smaller rooms but still have great bass depth.

For $2500 these would have to be second-hand i guess.

OP might like to add Spendor A5 as these will work in 'small-room' conditions.

TRENDING THREADS