From AV receiver to pure AMP

Balloonatic

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi.

I'm not sure at all what to do next with my system and I really hope you guys can help me.

Currently I've got Yamaha RX-V473 which inputs my TV sound, Apple TV, USB (for Spotify Connect) and my PS4. My speakers are some newly bought Q Acoustics 3050 and i seek (of course) to improve my system. I'm thinking the next logical thing would be a pure stereo amp and I have an eye on the Marantz PM6005 which I'm figuring is a good match?

But my question is, as I watch a lot of movies but also enjoy good HiFi, how do I handle all my devices? If the Marantz had had HDMI input or a few more optical inputs that would solve the problem. I'm scratching my head here - do you have any advice?

Regards

record_spot

I gave up with traditional stereo integrated amps a while ago now. Too limiting and you're comments indicate that you have a wider functionality need than the Marantz will give you.

Some amps however do come with an onboard DAC and several digital inputs, though, only AV amps offer HDMI. Such is life and the limitations of stereo amps at times.

I find my Onkyo (now acting in pre-amp duties) gives me the capabilities I need but not at the expense of sound quality. I now use active speakers, but the Onkyo wasn't lacking by any stretch of the imagination.

NS496

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I was not a fan of the av-receiver at first, but since getting a Yamaha a1010 back 2011 I've grown fond of this device and definately the best type of amp for the living room. It does everything well and can connect almost anything. Digital audio via hdmi is a great advantage over similar stereo amps - value wise it would be hard to beat most good avr's in my opinion at this stage.

Do you have a good sub? That would be my next step to upgrade...

Balloonatic

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the answers.

Ok, so it seems I'll still need an AV-receiver in my setup.. But would another option be a receiver with preout to a stereo amp? Does it work that way? Or should I simply buy another AV-receiver with more music capabilities - do you have any recommendations?

Vaprak001

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
...to be honest. At this price point you'd be better off choosing one amp or the other and looking at your sources. I'm guessing you only have a pair of QA 3050 (which amazed me with how gutsy they were) in which case I'd probably sell the yammy and go with a dedicated stereo amp with plenty of inputs outputs and add a cd/dac or maybe a subwoofer. If you already have more speakers keep the yammy.

In my case I have an Onkyo AV into an onkyo pre feeding two onkyo power amps. There's an obvious improvement in sound but nowhere near enough to justify the outlay. So my advice: always spend the money on the best single components you can afford rather than compromise with multiple components that share functions.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
In case it's of interest, I will give you my (very personal) viewpoint.

- The only AV amp brand that I have enjoyed for music has been Arcam.

- It is possible to get a Stereo solution that has HDMI, along with Digital Coax/Optical/Analogue and even a Pre-out for a sub.....it comes from Linn, but the cheapest product is the Sneaky DSM at about £1700.

- Pre-Outs to a Stereo Amp, is a very workable solution; though it makes it easier if the Stereo Amp has HT By-Pass, which allows it to work simply as a Power Amp (driving Front L & R), when watching 5.1 content ie. It is controlled by the Pre in the AV amp for HT use. Without HT By-pass, you have 2 sets of volume controls in the mix.

- Q Acoustics make great speakers. I was very impressed by some Concept 20s that I heard this week.

MickyBlue

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
what is your current listening percentage 50/50, with that i mean do you watch more movies or listen to music more? this will determin how to progress with your question.

for me i watch 2 films a week if that but have my music on all the time hence my system, even though when i do watch a film the effects are beyond words, music is in a word "amazing", you need to prioritize to get the best result in my opinion,

there are good musical recievers out there but won't touch a good stereo amp, for the best of both world with some compromise there is arcam or anthem.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I have both a dedicated music system and an AV receiver (also used for 2 channels exclusively) in a second system. I could happily live with either one if pushed.

abacus

The more entry level AV amps tend to struggle a bit with music if you're a music aficionado, as the power supplies tend to be smaller, however once you go upmarket, you will not find any improvement by going for a separate stereo amp.

One of the biggest obstacles to a quality sound, is the room the system is in, (Which unless it is acoustically treated can cause all sorts of problems) however an AV amp with DSP setup processing (Pretty standard these days) will help to iron out some of the anomalies, thus giving a more accurate sound. (Avoid the pure direct modes as they normally remove the room compensation)

NOTE: There is no substitute for acoustic room treatment if you wish to really improve the sound. (There is a limit as to what DSP setup can achieve)

Hope this helps

Bill

Balloonatic

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Thanks a lot for all your answers and advices.

The percentage is about 70/30 in the favor of music. I'm not interested in surround sound at all, and find the stereo solution perfect for my needs - I can't stand the audio from TV speakers of course though!

I can't seem to figure out a workaround for handling all my devices while get the best stereo music experience possible in my price range. I know my setup is in the budget category so would going from an AV-receiver to a stereo amp be any upgrade at all - for music purposes that is? And the Marantz is voted out as it doesn't have HT Bypass?

I'm so confused *fool*

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
In case it's of interest, I will give you my (very personal) viewpoint.

- The only AV amp brand that I have enjoyed for music has been Arcam.

- It is possible to get a Stereo solution that has HDMI, along with Digital Coax/Optical/Analogue and even a Pre-out for a sub.....it comes from Linn, but the cheapest product is the Sneaky DSM at about £1700.

- Pre-Outs to a Stereo Amp, is a very workable solution; though it makes it easier if the Stereo Amp has HT By-Pass, which allows it to work simply as a Power Amp (driving Front L & R), when watching 5.1 content ie. It is controlled by the Pre in the AV amp for HT use. Without HT By-pass, you have 2 sets of volume controls in the mix.

- Q Acoustics make great speakers. I was very impressed by some Concept 20s that I heard this week.
That's news to me, thought the Seanky DSM was just a Source player. Just read review now so it's an amp as well if am correct. *scratch_one-s_head*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
There are 2 versions of the Sneaky:

- The original Sneaky has a built-in amp, but there are no Inputs.

- The DSM version has more power (4 x 33W), and can be used to Bi-amp or drive a second set. It has digital connectivity including HDMI (3 In and 1 Out), Analogue In and Pre-Out (for Sub or Power Amp). It sounds great and makes a terrific hub for HT and 2 Channel.

Andrew Everard did a nice review on his own site.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Balloonatic said:

The percentage is about 70/30 in the favor of music. I'm not interested in surround sound at all, and find the stereo solution perfect for my needs - I can't stand the audio from TV speakers of course though!

I can't seem to figure out a workaround for handling all my devices while get the best stereo music experience possible in my price range. I know my setup is in the budget category so would going from an AV-receiver to a stereo amp be any upgrade at all - for music purposes that is? And the Marantz is voted out as it doesn't have HT Bypass?

I'm so confused *fool*

I was just about to reply that in your case a change to a stereo only amplifier could perhaps be beneficial. - A look at the innards via a quick google search shows a typical budget receiver layout albeit with certain components which seem slightly above average when compared with other budget receiver.

This in itself means little but it is worth remembering that your alternative is/will still be a budget amplifier, albeit a very well reviewed one.

So I had a quick look at reviews and stumbled upon one from Area DVD (in german). - Unfortunately I can't post links (or pictures) on this site (!), neither can I translate the whole review but it came out very well, infact they declared it reference in class (lower middle/class). - It did well even in comparison with more expensive AV receivers and was musically declared very accomplished (stereo).

Sure, it's just another review but I would not automatically assume a change to an entry level stereo amplifier will bring large gains or even small ones in this case. At worst you could loose a substantial amount of functionality.

Without listening to the alternatives first I'd be hesitant to make the move.

If you'd compared the receiver to the next tier of amplifiers around £500 to £800 such a decision would probably be easier.

Good luck

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
Balloonatic said:

I'm so confused *fool*

I was just about to reply that in your case a change to a stereo only amplifier could perhaps be beneficial. - A look at the innards via a quick google search shows a typical budget receiver layout albeit with certain components which seem slightly above average when compared with other budget receiver.

This in itself means little but it is worth remembering that your alternative is/will still be a budget amplifier, albeit a very well reviewed one.

So I had a quick look at reviews and stumbled upon one from Area DVD (in german). - Unfortunately I can't post links (or pictures) on this site (!), neither can I translate the whole review but it came out very well, infact they declared it reference in class (lower middle/class). - It did well even in comparison with more expensive AV receivers and was musically declared very accomplished (stereo).

Sure, it's just another review but I would not automatically assume a change to an entry level stereo amplifier will bring large gains or even small ones in this case. At worst you could loose a substantial amount of functionality.

Without listening to the alternatives first I'd be hesitant to make the move.

If you'd compared the receiver to the next tier of amplifiers around £500 to £800 such a decision would probably be easier.

Good luck
Agree. Try out an Av amp first & if not to your satisfaction then go for stereo. It's a win win.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
There are 2 versions of the Sneaky:

- The original Sneaky has a built-in amp, but there are no Inputs.

- The DSM version has more power (4 x 33W), and can be used to Bi-amp or drive a second set. It has digital connectivity including HDMI (3 In and 1 Out), Analogue In and Pre-Out (for Sub or Power Amp). It sounds great and makes a terrific hub for HT and 2 Channel.

Andrew Everard did a nice review on his own site.
Ha, now it makes sense. Cause thought any time I read about it get a little confused. Am looking to see if it can give me a different sound to my Oppo 105eu streamer. Not that the Oppo is bad, but may be time to do some upgrade on the front end. Surely the Seanky DSM would be on my short list. Also looking to get the QNAP TS-453 Nas system to burn music & blue rays.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It's a Sneaky.....I'd love to think that the Seanky is the Irish version.

If you get to try it, I'd like to hear what you think.

Balloonatic

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Ok, so by "try an AV amp" you mean a better/more expensive one than my RX-V473? In the 500-800 class range? Do I understand you correctly? If there's a possiblity gaining better performance doing that, I should be able to find the money ;)

Thanks again!

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Balloonatic said:
Ok, so by "try an AV amp" you mean a better/more expensive one than my RX-V473? In the 500-800 class range? Do I understand you correctly? If there's a possiblity gaining better performance doing that, I should be able to find the money ;)

Thanks again!
Yes you could also do that, but it all boils down to you, when you demo if the more expensive Av amp is the way to go.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It has Pre-outs, or the amp can be disabled so it can be used as a Source. If you have a Linn dealer near by, get them to go through it with you.

There is also info on the Linn website.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Balloonatic said:

Thanks again!

Not sure if this is directed at me but what I meant was that if you'd compare your AV to stereo amplifiers in the £500 to £800 range, the decision would be easier as a good example would almost certainly better your Yamaha in every respect other than functionality.

Looking at AV receivers further up could potentially gain better stereo performance too as long as that aspect has been taken seriously by the manufacturer and the additional cash has not just been spent on the Video specifics/facilities.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Balloonatic said:
Hi.

I'm not sure at all what to do next with my system and I really hope you guys can help me.

Currently I've got Yamaha RX-V473 which inputs my TV sound, Apple TV, USB (for Spotify Connect) and my PS4. My speakers are some newly bought Q Acoustics 3050 and i seek (of course) to improve my system. I'm thinking the next logical thing would be a pure stereo amp and I have an eye on the Marantz PM6005 which I'm figuring is a good match?

But my question is, as I watch a lot of movies but also enjoy good HiFi, how do I handle all my devices? If the Marantz had had HDMI input or a few more optical inputs that would solve the problem. I'm scratching my head here - do you have any advice?

Regards

The Marantz 6005 will not be an improvement on what your current receiver delivers.

Run your amp STRAIGHT and turn off all effects and go through your menus regards set up - have a play.

Avoid 'source direct' .

Going to a budget stereo amp is a backward step, you'll gain little to no improvement in s/q with that amp and lose all the functionality you currently enjoy.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
There are such differing viewpoints on here, that the only way to go is to compare for yourself.

I have always found that at a given price point, a dedicated 2 channel amp can sound better....others think different, which is fine.

Drummerman makes a good point about how much effort has been made in an AV amp to cope with 2 channel quality. An AV amp has to spread the budget across 7 amps, processing, a myriad of connections and room correction....all the while protecting the delicate 2 channel signal.

In my set up, I prefer the "Stereo Direct" switched on for listening to 2 channel music, despite having run room correction. It's all too individual to have hard and fast rules (IMO), though I totally support the importance of understanding the effect that a room can have on the sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts