Freeview HD PVR - Digital Stream DHR8205U

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jordy

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
:mad: Does anyone know why I no longer receive sound in 5.1 on the HD channels? Signal is from Pontop - NE England/SE Northumberland

mad.gif

Jordy

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
No 5.1 Sound

I upgraded to 4.14r8683-DD on the 23/06/12 as I play via a home cinema set up to get the benefit of 5.1 sound broadcasts however,I noticed I was no longer receiving 5.1 but presumed as my area (Pontop Pike) was being upgraded to digital TV at that time I associated the loss of 5.1 to engineering work but, switch over completed, I still am not receiving 5.1

I amended the upgrade to 8684-PCM yesterday with DD set to off but still no 5.1 sound on BBC HD channels.

How can I restore 5.1 sound?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
How is your Digital Stream connected to the receiver i.e. via HDMI or optical? To be honest, you might be better off posting in this forum, as I don't really keep up with the latest developments on the Digital Stream any more I'm afraid.

se7en

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi Professorhat

One very quick question on all my recordings i hit the blu sort button and hit time. All the recordings are now in time order rather than date of when recorded any idea how to get them back to the date time recorded???

Many thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Time includes the date, so they will still be in date and time order. I suspect what has happened is they are now in reverse date order (i.e. with the earliest recordings first, rather than the latest recordings first). Just click blue and choose Time again, and you should find they are then in the correct order again.

se7en

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Professorhat that worked cheers once again for your help, Also been as the digitalstream is a little old now have you moved onto a new pvr?? like youview etc

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Nope, still using the Digital Stream, though the hard disk has packed up at the moment so it doesn't record - it's nearly 3 years old now, so way past the warranty date and all I need to do really is just put in a new one when I get a few moments!

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Prof, I haven't installed the last update yet. Is it worth doing ? (I ask because it's a pain to get to the top rear USB port !)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Looking at it, the last update was the Feb 2012 update - is this the one you mean? Here's the list of features and fixes so, if any of these are important to you, it's worth doing!

- New Features

* iPlayer now supports H.264 HD stream

* Design change for Play progress bar

* Design change for /Yes/No selection dialog

* USB launch package support

- Bug Fixes

* Fixes for Series Booking not working for CH5 & 5* programmes

* Fixes for TUTV initialization not working

* Fixes for 112 channel no audio – IP streaming service

* Audio/Video lip sync adjustment for delayed ITV HD channel

* Fixes for rare case of “micom update” display

* Fixes for MHEG iPlayer field test issue

* Increased the character area for PIN failure message

* Audio drop for BBC HD no patch version

* Fixes for channel up/down crashes when popup is displayed

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Been very happy with my box, which I bought in Jan 2012. There was a problem in march which was fixed easily by the update.

However, I've had problems with my 500GB mini hard drive usb that I have used to copy programmes onto.

To start with it worked fine, I was able to format it ok and copied programmes onto it and could play programmes from it.

However, it stopped working, in that when I plug it in, the box recognises it and recognises how much space has been used, but I cannot see any of the programmes.

I contacted the makers of the DS box and they said it is because they can only guarantee that a usb device will be able to be read if it needs 0.5 amp or less power. Apparantly if it needs more, then it is "hit or miss" as to whether it can read it. Mine requires 1amp!

So I now have a mini hard drive with programmes on that I cannot watch on my box...I tried to look at the disk on my PC but couldn't...but I see there is a way of copying/watching programmes (using Linux?).

Has anyone else had this problem, is there a way around it? (I suppose I can get a drive that only needs 0.5amps and then copy the files from my existing drive using the linux route)!

Thanks

se7en

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
professorhat said:
Nope, still using the Digital Stream, though the hard disk has packed up at the moment so it doesn't record - it's nearly 3 years old now, so way past the warranty date and all I need to do really is just put in a new one when I get a few moments!

Nice to hear I still really like my digital stream. So that's interesting you can swap hdd do you know what size hdd they can take 3.5 or 2.5 can you use 1tb etc or have you got to stick with 500gb? Cheers once again.

daveh75

Use a powered USB hub with your current HDD, or replace it with a USB HDD that has an external PSU.

I personally wouldn't use USB powered drives on any STB, their PSU/USBs often aren't upto the job.

se7en

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi Professorhat,

Did you manage to find out what hard drive will fit into a digital stream pvr can i upgrade the 500gb hard drive to 1tb etc?

Also is it 3.5 or 2.5?

Many thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts