Freeview HD PVR - Digital Stream DHR8205U

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Indeed, link. (NB - there are two updates, one is for people who use the TV or standard stereo for sound (i.e. no surround sound) and this is labelled PCM. The DD labelled update is for people who connect via optical or HDMI into an AV receiver to get 5.1 Dolby Digital sound. You only need to download and apply the one which is correct for your circumstance above, not both of them).

I've not had a chance to properly play and note down new things, but can confirm iPlayer should be coming 6th March when BBC switch it on. Also, list of improvement listed here:

- New Features

n iPlayer now supports H.264 HD stream

n Design change for Play progress bar (less obtrusive design)

n Design change for Yes/No selection dialog

n USB launch package support (allows DLNA streaming)

- Bug Fixes

n Fixes for Series Booking not working for CH5 & 5* programmes

n Fixes for TUTV initialization not working

n Fixes for 112 channel no audio – IP streaming service

n Audio/Video lip sync adjustment for delayed ITV HD channel

n Fixes for rare case of “micom update” display

n Fixes for MHEG iPlayer field test issue

n Increased the character area for PIN failure message

n Audio drop for BBC HD no patch version

n Fixes for channel up/down crashes when popup is displayed

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Prof, I understand that the 'Folders' option is now enabled, to allow series recordings to be placed into the same folder. Trouble is, I can't work out how to make it work !!

Could you please explain to me, in simple terms, how this works ?

Thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Sure. Assuming you're on the latest firmware, you should find the option by pressing Menu > Preferences > Miscellaneous and then set the Series Folder Creation to On.

I've not used it personally as I prefer recordings to be in the root folder in the order they're created and I then move them around from there, but give it a go and see what you think.

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
OK thanks, done that.

Do I assume that to enable existing recorded material to be moved into folders I need to cancel all current series recordings and reset them to series record, in order to allow the system to creat new folders into which the existing recordings can be moved ?

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
bob.g said:
OK thanks, done that.

Do I assume that to enable existing recorded material to be moved into folders I need to cancel all current series recordings and reset them to series record, in order to allow the system to create new folders into which the existing recordings can be moved ?
All new recordings will be created in sub folders regardless of when you set up the series links, you don't need to delete and reschedule them. just move the old recordings as and when the folders are created.

A

Anonymous

Last night I recorded two programs Silent Witness and Titanic both on at the same time 9pm to 10pm I could see they were being recorded by the red light on the freeview box.

Whilst they were recording I watched a DVD on on the TV through my samsung DVD player, later when I went to watch what I had recorded the programs wern't there in the recorded list but they were still there in the to be recorded list hope I have explained that ok any help please :)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi Suzie, that's a strange one and not one I've seen before unfortunately. Have you tried doing a full power off (i.e. using the switch at the back) and then powering on again to see if this clears the issue?

Failing that, I would recommend posting in the following thread (link) - there are a lot of people in this forum who know the Digital Stream box extremely well, and they'll be able to tell you whether this is something that's been seen before and the fix for it, or whether you'd need to contact MIT for support.

Hope this helps

A

Anonymous

Thanks Prof for your advice I have powered off so will do a test tomorrow I have stuff I am recording tonight that I don't want to take a chance on.

Was it just me imagining things but after I powered off and back on I thought the picture was crisper and the colours were better was that possible?

I tried again this afternoon before I read your reply, I set it to record two programs that both started at 4pm one on BBC one on ITV one finished at 4.30pm and the other at 5pm I put the DVD player on before they started and stopped the DVD player about 5 mins before the 5pm one finished.

The program that finished at 4.30pm was on the to record list but not on the recorded list so it didn't record and the one that had 5 mins to go was on the to record list and on the recorded list it had been recorded.

Will see how I get on tomorrow if no luck I will post on the link you gave me thank you.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
It's a strange one. Is there any link between your DVD player and the Digital Stream (other than both being connected into the TV). If not, I can't see how the DVD player being on would be related to the issue.

Let me know how it goes.

A

Anonymous

Hi Prof at last I have had chance to get back to you, well I put a post in at the AV forums they said

"Sounds like the HDMI from the DVD is causing RF interference with the aerial feed into the DHR. Try moving it away and if possible try a different cable (or try swapping them over maybe ?) "

We tried that with no joy so we got an aerial man in he put a power pack box thing on I think the TV and put an aerial socket in the other room so we don't use a splitter it works a treat now.

Thanks for all your help :)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Nope, nothing new. Last update was end of February (4.14) - nothing since then that I'm aware of. My guess is, unless there's a bug, we probably won't see any more updates given the age of the device now. But everything is working fine, so no complaints from me.

A

Anonymous

Hi Professor, I have reviewed the f**k out of this machine and just found yours today which has concreted my opinion of buying one!

I recently bought an optoma projector instead of a TV for my home and want to connect everything via Hdmi, i have bought 3 different Hdmi switching boxes (as the projector only has 1 Hdmi input) which have either failed to work or had terrible noise interference. I am using high quality 10 meter Hdmi cable which i have buried in the wall and under my floor. As i really need something to connect all my devices for the arrival of my Ds and to connect my pc and PS3 through, the question i have for you is; is there a HDMI switch box you would recommend or would you get an AV receiver to connect all your devices!

Sorry to highjack the thread by going off topic, but i seen you mention your set up in the review or posts and you seem like a real approachable bloke about this kinda thing and im getting out my depth!

Cheers...

Brian

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Sorry for the late reply - was a busy long weekend!

I think probably your main issue will be the PS3 - I've also got a couple of HDMI switchers and they were fine with the Digital Stream but weren't able to cope with the PS3 (resulted in the picture flashing on and off). This could well be something to do with HDCP protocol (for copy protection). Certainly they all work okay through my AV receiver, but then that's quite an expensive option just for HDMI switching.

Not sure if this is much help, but it's the only advice I can give I'm afraid - perhaps see if you can visit a dealer who sells some HDMI switchers and, if you bring your PS3 along, ask if you can test them?

A

Anonymous

Hi and thanks for the reply,

I have ordered another Hdmi switch box from Amazon which has a lot of positive feedback, so fingers crossed it does the job!

On a happier note..... I received my DS unit today from eBay (£89) and I’m over the moon with it, Still familiarising myself with it but over the moon with the picture quality on my 250" Projector. Both SD and HD channels work as you'd expect!

So can you access BBC iPlayer and Sky Player once you connect to the internet? Also... the last update my unit had was February, has there been any since?

Thanks again for taking time to reply, you’re a legend!

Brian

A

Anonymous

I can confirm that the Iplayer service does work on my DHR8205U with firmware 4.14. I do not use SkyPlayer, and I'm not even sure it's possible to access it with the this box. I updated my box on 2nd June 2012, but the firmware was released on 29th Feb according to the MIT site, so you probably have the latest one. I believe this is the first truly working Iplayer release as it mentions "Fixes for BBC Iplayer service" in the changelog. But I may be wrong....

A

Anonymous

While I'm on this thread, I have a question about archiving recordings to a USB hard drive. I'm using a 160GB IDE drive in an old IcyBox, and it's incredibly slow, to the point of almost being unusable for large numbers of files. I have measured the copy speed as around 5.5 MB/s using several file sizes. I have tested this drive in its IcyBox on my PC, with both Ubuntu Linux and Windows 7/XP, and I get write speeds of around 30 MB/s. Why the disparity? Is there a problem with the USB controllers in this DigitalStream box? I can't imagine the processing capability of the DHR8205U is the problem, as it can quite happily record two programmes while watching a third. The speed I'm getting is certainly way, way below the maximum USB 2.0 data rate of 480Mbit/s (admittedly a theoretical maximum, but I'd expect to get at least half that in practice).

Has anyone else noticed this, and is there a fix? I'm considering submitting a report to MIT/DigitalStream, but I don't know how to do so (is there a forum? I can only find an email address for MIT), so I thought I'd post here first.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Missed a few here. Firstly, no Sky Player on the box, only BBC iPlayer through the red button.

Secondly, on the USB copy speed, it is much much slower than standard USB speed. I've no idea why this is, but it is (and has been on every PVR with this facility that I've owned).

unclerogi said:
I'm considering submitting a report to MIT/DigitalStream, but I don't know how to do so (is there a forum? I can only find an email address for MIT), so I thought I'd post here first.

Doubt you'll get any further on this I'm afraid, but it's always worth a go. MIT can be contacted through this website, or you could post a query on this forum which has a number of knowledgable types who might actually know why the copy speed is that slow.

A

Anonymous

professorhat said:
Secondly, on the USB copy speed, it is much much slower than standard USB speed. I've no idea why this is, but it is (and has been on every PVR with this facility that I've owned).

Doubt you'll get any further on this I'm afraid, but it's always worth a go. MIT can be contacted through this website, or you could post a query on this forum which has a number of knowledgable types who might actually know why the copy speed is that slow.

Thanks prof, I've posted a message on the latest thread there (currently no. 11!) This problem is becoming a real annoyance for me. I was considering buying a bigger portable drive for transferring programmes en-masse, but 500 GB of files at this speed is going to be ridiculous.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts