FreeSat plus Freeview Recording

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I currently own a Sony DVD recorder (RDR-HXD860) which has a built in Freeview tuner and an HDD upon which I can record any terrestrial program.

I would like to purchase the Pana TV with a built in FreeeSat tuner. However, I cannot fathom how to cable it up to facilitate recording FreeSat and Freeview programs on my Sony HDD. The Sony only has one Aerial input and one aerial output.

It would give me a rack space problem but maybe a separate FreeSat box could do the job, assuming the coax signal out of the FreeSat box could then be routed into the Sony recorder where the Freeview signal (if it’s still there) could be subsequently extracted alongside the FreeSat signal by the Sony.

How have others setup their kit to record Freeview as well as FreeSat?

A

Anonymous

Thank you FSBF.

I shall have to wait until later in the year and see what gets marketed.

A

Anonymous

Can you make a scart connection to the DVD? it would be an odd telly that did not output video and audio over the AV2 scart connector. a quick look in the manual for the telly will tell you the AV2 pinouts (usually near the back).

A

Anonymous

Yes, I can.
I hadn't considered a scart connection!

Presumably taking this route I can record FreeSat programmes in ordinary definition on my Sony recorder.
I am not sure how the menu systems (and the recorder) will facilitate switching from Freeview to FreeSat but I think I am prepared to risk it. If the recorder fails to function I will have to wait until I get a FreeSat recorder. Presumably buying a tele with the FreeSat tuner will eventually enable me to view a different channel to the one being recorded when I have to buy a FreeSat recorder.

A

Anonymous

If there is output on the SCART AV2 socket it can be recorded on any recorder AFAIK. Might not preserve the HD though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts