Freesat or Freeview???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I really want to get a PVR which has HD reception & capabilities and that will continue to develop its channel selection, including more HD channels. I don't want SKY as I'm not willing to pay their sky-high,(no pun intended) charges, and have had issues with them in the past. Can't decide between Freesat or Freeview. Freeview will clearly grow rapidly now it's launched as it's so easy to set up, but it doesn't have the bandwidth for many HD channels. I am worried though, that if I get Freesat, that this may be a diminishing service in the light of the growth of Freeviw HD and the might of SKY HD.

Any thoughts / suggestions anyone?

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
First of all check you signal strength for Freeview across all the channnels you want to watch. If you live in an area like me where we barely get 30% Freeview signal with frequent blocking and occasional complete dropouts then the answer (until DSO when Freeview transmission power will about double) is Freesat obvious.

A

Anonymous

I've got a good reception for Freeview HD and a satellite dish already installed for Freesat HD, so either is an option. I'm keen to know how many HD channels each is expected to pick up over time and whether Freesat has longevity considering the huge competition it has from SKY.

daveh75

Halle:I've got a good reception for Freeview HD and a satellite dish already installed for Freesat HD, so either is an option. I'm keen to know how many HD channels each is expected to pick up over time and whether Freesat has longevity considering the huge competition it has from SKY.
Freeview HD has/will have capacity for a maximum of 5 HD channels. Freesat doesn't have such bandwidth restrictions. Nobody can say what channels Freesat may/may not get in future with 100% certainty - Thats down to the broadcasters themselves.

Freesat doesn't have huge competition from Sky, as that was not it's intended purpose. It was launched purely to provide access to the PSB channels to those that can't/wont get a Freeview signal after DSO.

A

Anonymous

daveh75:

Halle:I've got a good reception for Freeview HD and a satellite dish already installed for Freesat HD, so either is an option. I'm keen to know how many HD channels each is expected to pick up over time and whether Freesat has longevity considering the huge competition it has from SKY.
Freeview HD has/will have capacity for a maximum of 5 HD channels. Freesat doesn't have such bandwidth restrictions. Nobody can say what channels Freesat may/may not get in future with 100% certainty - Thats down to the broadcasters themselves.

Freesat doesn't have huge competition from Sky, as that was not it's intended purpose. It was launched purely to provide access to the PSB channels to those that can't/wont get a Freeview signal after DSO.

Hi daveh,

whilst I understand the general feeling regarding free to air bandwidth availability, I seem to recall an article in WhatHi a few years back discussing the future of HD broadcasting (before any had hit the streets). It said something along the lines of HD free to air non-satellite bradcasting would not happen because of such things as limited bandwidth. Then it appears the maximum Freeview HD channels are 3 and suddenly (this month!) another pops up! So, I agree that the Freesat HD appears to offer more in the way of growth capacity, but it never seems so cut and dry.

Nick

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts