New Freesat recorder needed

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I've just realised, that apart from Sky Sports, I barely watch any of the Sky channels, so I've decided that when my contract ends in October, I'm going to cancel Sky and switch to a Freesat recorder.

I have an Echostar HDS-600RS in the bedroom, but it keeps losing some of the HD channels, and it also needs resetting every time I use the Now TV box, so I really don't want it as my main box.

I probably need about 1tb of recording space, and really want something that is easy to use and reliable. Any suggestions?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
This review says that you can record by connecting a hard drive to one of the TV usb ports.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/televisions/plasma-and-lcd-tvs/panasonic-tx-p50gt50-1090062/review/2

If so, then you would only need a freesat box, rather than a Freesat recorder.

Thanks Mike. I've got built in Freesat on the GT, so I probably don't even need a box. Two problems I can forsee; one is trying to work out how to use the recording facility, and secondly, I'm finally going to ring John Lewis about the pink hue problem with black and white films and white screens I get with the GT, so I may be changing tv sometime soon.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Even if you trade in your GT, any replacement television, assuming it's at least relatively high end, will offer external HDD recording. Most mid-to high end TVs also have dual tuners these days, too.

I connected a 1tb HDD to my VT65 and it works brilliantly. It's faster in operation than both my parents' Panasonic Freeview HDD and my sister's Humax Freesat box.

The HDD cost £50 and it's very small. The only downside is that there's no series record option. That's no inconvenience from my perspective, though other people may feel differently.

Out of interest, how distracting is your GT50's colour uniformity problem? I'd be interested to compare with my VT65. Also, how many hours has your GT50 clocked up?

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
i have the humax hdr 1000s and it has been flawless,i dropped sky when this came out and have never looked back,great picture and sound and the spare cash goes on upgrades.*biggrin*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
Out of interest, how distracting is your GT50's colour uniformity problem? I'd be interested to compare with my VT65. Also, how many hours has your GT50 clocked up?

It's very distracting during black & white films, so much so, that I've actually turned some films off because I was getting so annoyed at the picture. It's also bad on totally white backgrounds, and a slight annoyance when watching football.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bigbernardbresslaw/12211870215/in/datetaken/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bigbernardbresslaw/12212363476/in/datetaken/

I've no idea how many hours it's clocked up, how would I find out?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
Even if you trade in your GT, any replacement television, assuming it's at least relatively high end, will offer external HDD recording. Most mid-to high end TVs also have dual tuners these days, too.

I connected a 1tb HDD to my VT65 and it works brilliantly. It's faster in operation than both my parents' Panasonic Freeview HDD and my sister's Humax Freesat box.

The HDD cost £50 and it's very small. The only downside is that there's no series record option. That's no inconvenience from my perspective, though other people may feel differently.

Depending on how it goes with JL, how work goes for the rest of the year, and how much I can raise from selling some stuff I no longer need, will make a difference to which tv I can afford. The tv I have my eye on (Panasonic TX-55CX680) doesn't have a Freesat tuner built in, so if I do go for that, I'd have to get some kind of freesat box.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Hmm, it's a tough one.

I don't have a flickr account, so unfortunately I can't see the photos you've uploaded. In any case, it sounds like this issue is bothering you quite a bit.

My VT65 has some colour uniformity issues, but they rarely intrude on viewing, even when watching B&W content.

If you're planning on buying a Freesat box then you might put this extra money toward a television with the required tuners, and adding a HDD instead.

Even then, it's tough to know what to buy. OLEDs are currently too expensive and you may well end up with similar screen uniformity issues. I also think you'd miss plasma's native contrast and superior viewing angles if you go the LED route.

Last year's Panasonic AX902 is £1,500 at Richer Sounds (which is £2,000 cheaper than the original RRP). It's a bit of an interim model in terms of being genuinely 4K ready, though, which is off-putting.

Most of the Sammys are curved. Sony models might be worth a look. It still feels like an odd time to buy a television. The technology's in a state of transition and it'd be good to let things settle and wait for prices to drop. None of that helps with your GT50 frustrations, I appreciate...

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Try viewing them again, Strapped, I've made them viewable to the public.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
It can be hard to tell from photos, but that looks comparable to the issue with my VT65.

I've seen worse on 50" Panny plasmas (and much worse on LG OLEDs), which is not to say that your TV is fine, or that you should be happy to live with various screen uniformity problems.

My VT65's tints don't intrude on the great majority of normal viewing. Football and other sports look completely normal.

For whatever reason, a few scenes in Psycho and Schindler's List show the issue up on my TV, while other B&W films look fine. I can highlight the problem when viewing test slides, but nobody watches greyscale patterns for fun.

The vertical banding (DSE) on the GT50 bugged me a lot more. I'd imagine the combination of DSE and poor colour uniformity would really p*ss me off.

To be honest, I've given up trying to find an issue free television.. Even the new "reference" Panny OLED has near-black uniformity problems. I also made a conscious decision to climb off the merry-go-round of problem reporting, engineer vists, and replacements.

I wish I had better advice for you mate.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Thanks Strapped

My reasons for seriously considering the Panasonic TX-55C680 are:-

1. Every review I've read, both professional and from users, is very good, with no serious issues at all, or none that would bother me.

2. I'd be able to watch tv without worrying about still images. OLED may or may not have this problem, and therein lies the problem, not knowing for certain would cause a distraction, and I'd be constantly worried about still images for long periods.

3. It's relatively future-proofed. I haven't checked it for HDR future-proofing, but HDR is not something I really care about. From what I have read - which admittedly, isn't much - it will just increase the brightness and intensity of the colours, which in my eyes, will make the picture more unnatural.

4. It's Japanese. Very important in this house (as you know). *biggrin*

5. I like the design. I'm not at all keen on the most of the stands on current tvs, but I've seen this in the flesh, and I like it.

6. It's a very good price.

I know it'll probably be slightly behind the GT50 for overall picture quality, but I don't care, when taking into account the above factors, it's definitely top of my list at the moment.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I know it'll probably be slightly behind the GT50 for overall picture quality, but I don't care, when taking into account the above factors, it's definitely top of my list at the moment.

All of which makes perfect sense. I know you certainly wouldn't buy a TV without researching the purchase.

Since we're limited to Japanese manufacturers, the Panasonic 802b might be worth a look, too. It has dual Freeview and Freesat tuners, along with external HDD recording. You'd be pushing the budget on TV price, but you'd claw back some of the difference through not having to buy a PVR.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-tx55cx802b/pana-tx55cx802b

I'm sure Gel could find a suitable price match, which might have a knock-on benefit of slowing his AV purchases.

Gray

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I've just realised, that apart from Sky Sports, I barely watch any of the Sky channels, so I've decided that when my contract ends in October, I'm going to cancel Sky and switch to a Freesat recorder.

I have an Echostar HDS-600RS in the bedroom, but it keeps losing some of the HD channels, and it also needs resetting every time I use the Now TV box, so I really don't want it as my main box.

I probably need about 1tb of recording space, and really want something that is easy to use and reliable. Any suggestions?

A Humax HDR 1000S is being delivered to me tomorrow - refurbished from Humax Direct for £99 + £7 postage. I've had their Foxsat HDR for a while and can't fault it - though I changed its 320GB for a 1TB hard drive and slowed it down with 1000's of hours of recorded radio programmes. (Straight forward HDD swap and still only 67% full, but box was never designed for as many files as I've put on it).

On my recommendation, a neighbour and mate bought a Foxsat each. After 5 or 6 years, neighbours' one had fatal 'out of index' message yesterday hence me ordering refurbed 1000S which I did in a hurry for them - then read some online reviews - check the user reviews below WHFs best buy review... enough to put anyone off, but they must've been unlucky.

Too late for my neighbour, I've kept the faith with Humax!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I ended up buying a refurbished HDR1000s for just over £100. So far, so good, but there are a few things about it that are annoying.

1. It's very slow starting

2. A small version of the guide is on the screen when you turn the box on.

3. When you turn the guide on, it's in the position of the programme you're watching, rather than at the first channel.

4. When I change channel quickly from a SD one to a HD one (or vice versa), it can freeze, and I have to turn it off and on again.

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
1,yea complained about that on the humax forum,though its under 10 sec. 2,minor pain,just press exit.

3,dont mind that at all.

4,never had this problem,maybe check for firmware update there was 1 in december which added netflix to the on demand.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Firmware is up to date.

Tonight, the tv guide is blank, no programme information at all, not even names or times.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts