Freesat on the Panasonic TX-P42G20, how does it work??

sheehanjuk

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
After considering options Im currently considering upgrading to this plasma due to 2 reasons: PQ and Freesat included. What Im unsure about is how the Freesat works with this plasma set, can anyone explain it to me please?? Reading the forums I know you can connect an external HDD to record progs and that the HDD have to be a certain model/make or the tv freezes. Does this mean you can record on 1 channel and watch another?? Can you record 2 channels at the same time? Does anyone know?

sheehanjuk

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Ive just called a dealer who answered my question. his answer for those interested is:-

' the G series can have an external hdd to record a channel however you cant change channel whilst recording unless you have freeview also connected and change channel watching on freeview thereby leaving the freesat channel to record.'

also the panasonic tv format the hdd in a specific way which means only the tv can read/write to it, therefore you cant use say hdd with a PC, which is bloody annoying.

daveloc

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Although Panny explicitly recommend only one model of HDD, other mains-powered USB HDDs often work (I used an old LaCie d2) while bus-powered ones don't. I didn't experience any lockups.

While the system works, and it's useful for e.g., recording the BBC HD Test Card to calibrate the picture, it's operational/ergonomic behaviour is so inferior to that of a dedicated unit such as the Foxsat HDR it would be tedious to list the details. If you schedule recordings, power consumption in standby jumps to 30 watts, and the front power light blinks orange *constantly* and has to be taped over.

You can't watch one channel and record another, or record 2 channels, even if they're from different tuners (i.e., Freesat/Freeview) but you can record while watching from an external input, eg., Bluray, or even an STB.

A useable emergency feature, but not recommendable as even a cheap PVR replacement.

sheehanjuk

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
daveloc:
Although Panny explicitly recommend only one model of HDD, other mains-powered USB HDDs often work (I used an old LaCie d2) while bus-powered ones don't. I didn't experience any lockups.

While the system works, and it's useful for e.g., recording the BBC HD Test Card to calibrate the picture, it's operational/ergonomic behaviour is so inferior to that of a dedicated unit such as the Foxsat HDR it would be tedious to list the details. If you schedule recordings, power consumption in standby jumps to 30 watts, and the front power light blinks orange *constantly* and has to be taped over.

You can't watch one channel and record another, or record 2 channels, even if they're from different tuners (i.e., Freesat/Freeview) but you can record while watching from an external input, eg., Bluray, or even an STB.

A useable emergency feature, but not recommendable as even a cheap PVR replacement.

Seems basically like a non-feature really, completely unuseful feature. Marketing gimmick really or feature tack-on maybe.

big1986ben

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I have this TV and have to say i really like this being able to record by just adding an old External hard drive.

Just make sure you use a quiet one.

It is useful when i go on holiday and need to record a 3ed program.

The HD recording is really good i would say better then the sky box.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts