free sky hub

mogsie

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
if anybody is on sky broadband and have one of the old black sagem routers, sky are giving out their latest edition of the sky hub for free until the end of january, you can also get a free wifi booster for free until feb, they dont advertise this openly they probably dont want to give that many away for free, as they are normally £70,

you need to go to sky.com log into your sky account, then go to my sky > offers and it will appear there to order.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Great heads up thanks. Taken me ages but managed to order the hub. I cant order the booster until the hub is here but that offer is extended till end Feb.

Gosh hard work!

Thanks again

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
If you have sky broadband you should also be able to order a "wifi extender" box free of charge, that extends the wifi signal in your home.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Moosey - u aint tryin hard enoigh. Go to sky. Go round and round for an hour. Try to get the booster and it gives u the hub. The worst site ever? Probably. Good luck

PS Order 2 in error and they email twice asking u to call them back urgently. To be continued .......

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I like Sky. Usually. But ....

Email tells me to urgently call before they send out my hub. Did do - their system was 'down'. Call back later. Mmmmm - u call me. U have my number and I object to 084 numbers. Email today says hub dispatched. Sign into Sky account to track. Wrong. Cant. Wasted another half hour but logeed onto couriers site. Entered tracking number. Nah. No tracking.

I'll just wait. The mysky site is appalling. In fairness at 9pm Sky answered quickly. To be continued ....

PS. My speed was always 7mb. Now its nearer 3/4. Sky say ignore the speed test and simply look at the router stats which now as always show 7/8mb. They did send some new filters though and a new cable. Doh.

moosey

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Still can't get the router option to appear (still at £69) but ordered the free booster anyway. Don't really have any dead spots but maybe a friend can find a use for it.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Shows how great the web site is moosey? When I tried to order the booster it gave me the hub instead and said I needed the new hub before the booster would work. Also said I should install the hub, wait a week to see if I (still) needed the booster. Hub on its way but still cant order a free booster because it knows I'm still using the old router. Clever (or daft) eh?

moosey

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Robin, I'll do you a swap ;)

Good luck getting what you want....let me know if the hub is a step forward.

Interestingly, did a sky survey that suggested a New HD box is coming that will allow streaming to other devices.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I will report my progress. Hopefully they will deliver a few hubs, a brace of boosters and a new box to go with my huge family.of filters. No email about a streaming box here.

moosey

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Just found my sky booster in a placky bag thrown over side gate! :wall:

Just need to find a friend in need that has something to trade :?

moosey

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Robin, the speed sounds poor, and surely indicates a problem within your system. Over the past 5 yrs ,I've had two instances of speed degradation. One was eventually traced to a failing router and the other was a faulty master socket on the incoming phone line ( I followed advice on skuser forum for replacing socket with one with a built in filter and all was well). Obviously you've already done one of these, and if your router is showing 8mb, then I'm not sure if the second will help you.

It might be worth posting on skyuser forum; they are almost as helpful as the lovely people here. :grin:

The sky booster FAQ s are interesting! When installed, areas of the house that previously had q good signal can see speeds reduced due to band width sharing. I realise those with better technical knowledge might had already known this, but it's a side effect I hadn't considered. :doh:

daveh75

moosey said:
The sky booster FAQ s are interesting! When installed, areas of the house that previously had q good signal can see speeds reduced due to band width sharing. I realise those with better technical knowledge might had already known this, but it's a side effect I hadn't considered. :doh:

Yes 'repeaters' are a terrible way to extend networks, due to being half duplex, shared bandwidth tech. It also increases the chances of interference due to retransmitting on the same channel.

The best way to extend a network is to add additional APs wired to the router, and preferably using different channels.

Failing that a dual band simultaneous router and AP, configured as bridge/client (a point to point link) on one of the bands.

stevegwoods

Jan 14, 2008
Visit site
Robin

Do you or others on the thread use your router to stream audio from a PC to say a networked receiver or bluray player? I can't get it to work with the new SKY Hub whereas my older Netgear router is fine??

steve

chrisup

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Robin I wander why I went to Virgin when I had speeds of 1 to 1.5 meg and I get a maximum of 55 meg. I also replied to your Garrard question. I still think my Samsung Sky HD box is brilliant a lot bettter than the Amstrads I had problems with.

Best Wishes

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts