Sky anytime without getting sky involved

Nadeac

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi been with sky for about 15 years now ,with the same sd Grundig box single LNB {no recording never really bothered me}

Anyway i am now interested in the Anytime on demand service they do, seems a very good one box solution with all the ondemand channels built in to it .I know i will need a new box ,i wanted one with Hdmi out anway

Sky will do a new Sky+ ondemand box free if i take out HD channels package ,Special deal Half price £5 extra a month and a £60 one off install fee {i suppose ideal as this would get me the extra LMb line installed }.But like i said not really interested in the recording side of things

Basicly what im getting at is if i was to purchase a sky + anytime box off say ebay Around £40 , would i be able to just replace my box with the new one ,put my card in and away i go .I know i need to sort out the wifi side of things ,thats not a problem, i take it they have wifi built in to it?

But do sky need to activate something on your card for anytime to work

Many thanks Mark

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Nadeac said:
Basicly what im getting at is if i was to purchase a sky + anytime box off say ebay Around £40 , would i be able to just replace my box with the new one ,put my card in and away i go .I know i need to sort out the wifi side of things ,thats not a problem, i take it they have wifi built in to it?

No they don't have wifi built in.

But do sky need to activate something on your card for anytime to work

I think you will definitely need the Sky+ functionality to use Anytime, as it downloads programs from the net to the local storage on the Sky box, which you then watch in the same way as you do Sky+ recorded programs.

Nadeac

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi thanks for reply ,so your not actually watching 'live' anytime then , like say on a laptop ?

Also does the £60 include runing network cable ?

Mark

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Nadeac said:
Hi thanks for reply ,so your not actually watching 'live' anytime then , like say on a laptop ?

You can watch a subset of channels live on a laptop through Sky Go yes but it doesn't work quite the same way on a Sky box. Or at least it doesn't on mine...

Also does the £60 include runing network cable ?

Don't know but I'd be surprised if it did to be honest.

Nadeac

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
Ok thanks i think i will upgrade via sky ,not a bad deal .Then either move the router or run the network cable myself

Would of been better if maybe they built the Sky +hd box with the wifi router built in to it then connect your phonline direct to it, sky boxes are supposed to have a phoneline run to them anyway

Keeps things tidier and simpler

Mark

Nadeac

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
Yeh homeplugs look like a good idea .Even more plugs to find though and they aint cheap .Theres a phone socket in the room where the box is but i didnt really want the router in the bedroom more lights keeping me awake at night!

I will run a network cable up the side of the house into the attic ,then into bedroom at some point .Once its done its done .A wired connection is better than wifi anway ,especially for things that are not moved about .Im sure u can even use existing phone line as network cable anyway

Thanks Mark

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I've just bought the Sky Connector wi fi)box from Sky for 9.99 delivered. It was 59.99. Haven't checked if its gone back up.

See if sky will chuck one in with your sub.

jjbomber

It's gone back up to £22.

Best solution with Sky is to cancel your account. You will be amazed by the offers you will get when you speak to cancellations! Tell them you are cancelling because the box is broken if you want a newbie free.

Nadeac

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
If i was going down that route i would preferre to by my own home network adaptors rather than buy the wifi adaptor off sky ,they could of built wifi into the box

Also that wifi adaptor is just that a wifi adaptor ,as oposed to home plugs which is a wired solution .I always thought though that home plug adaptors just converted something to wifi

Have also been thinking about cancelling for about 12 months now ,The top and bottom of it is i only pay for sky for the documentory channels ,and they aint as good as they used to be ,theres a lot of stupid over the top American stuff .Sky have you by the balls so to speak if want the good channels you have to pay .Other than that i would just use the Cheap Freesat box i have

Whats really stopped me from cancelling is i have phone and broadband with then even though its out of contract i know there will be problems if i cancelled ,there always is with these frims

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Nadeac said:
If i was going down that route i would preferre to by my own home network adaptors rather than buy the wifi adaptor off sky ,they could of built wifi into the box

They could have yes, but then people who don't want or need it then have to pay for it, whereas with a separate adaptor only those that actually need it have to pay. Plus the fact that they still haven't updated the hardware to do 5.1 over HDMI kind of suggests they aren't going to doing anything too complicated anytime soon.

Whats really stopped me from cancelling is i have phone and broadband with then even though its out of contract i know there will be problems if i cancelled ,there always is with these frims

Well, there's only one way to find out...

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
i have found that it depends on the operator you speak to aswell.if you think the operator at the first attempt wont give you anything,shout abitt and hang-up.call back hours later and see if you get someone who is abit more customer friendly...works for me,got that lil wireless thing free,took me 3 calls over two days,i didn't threaten to leave sky tho.....think they are savy to that onei played the loyal customer full package card :grin:

ukdavej

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
Cancel it - or at least tell them you want to. Wednesday or Thursday is apparently the best time as these are their slowest days and they are more likely to make you an offer to fulfil their daily quota. Keep on until you get what you want - find out what you could get as a new customer and throw that at them if you can, always helps ;)

You are the kind of customer they want to keep

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts