Sky Q advice needed

angeldust1

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

I’m looking at upgrading to Sky Q from Sky HD and am after some advice on the set-up, and if I should wait until the ‘teething problems’ have been addressed, or I should just go for it now!

Current system is as follows. Sky HD box (and Sky broadband router) in living room (downstairs) with a magic eye connection to TV in conservatory. Second Sky HD box in home cinema room (upstairs) with magic eye connection to TV in garage downstairs (I think ‘man cave’ is the ‘modern description).

I want to keep the current functionality, so am looking at a Q Silver box + 3 mini boxes. Only 2 of us in the house, so only viewing 2 mini boxes at any time won’t be an issue. I have a few questions:

1) Ideally I would like to put the main box in the home cinema room upstairs so I can benefit from the 4K HD on the biggest screen. Is the distance from the router going to be an issue here (is it simply a case of how well the signal travels from the router)? Is the powerline function now enabled (which should help)?

2) How ‘reliable’ is the output on the mini boxes using the ‘wifi mesh’. My concern here is that the signal won’t be as reliable as the wired connection on the main TV in the living room, resulting in my GF moaning at me to fix it! Our broadband speed is modest (~11MBps) , and does drop out every so often (Shy have been out recently to replace the router, which has improved reliability). Interested in peoples real world experience here.

3) How likely is it that Sky will eventually allow you to run second box (for 4K HD on a second TV), or enable 4K output from one of the mini boxes?

4) Will the existing cables (dish to HD boxes) need to be replaced?

Thanks in advance!

bemaniac

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
i have 100mbps virgin fibre and my 1 mini box directly above the q silver drops out a lot. I've tried remeshing and changing wireless channels of the 5ghz on the virgin router but it is a nightmare. 3 boxes would be a full time job rebooting and resyncing them in order 5 times a night to maintain the mesh.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts