Broadband speeds what do you get ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
But do you need it or would a cheaper download speed be better. (You need a boatload of users in the house or continually making large downloads to require those sorts of speeds at present)

Bill
You make a fair point. I do a lot 4K streaming and when I'm uploading my photos, videos and music on my NAS cloud server it's seemless but I'm not sure I really need all that bandwidth but it's really nice to have the extra leg room. 😊

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
So if I have 1,000mbps broadband coming into my home, I can get 1,000Mbps wi-fi on my phone/laptop/tablet? I assume that is best case scenario, sitting in the same room as the router. If I'm upstairs, behind a few walls with 17 other things using the internet, it'll be slower.
Are those mesh 6 routers? When B4RN quote 8,000Mbps, would that need a more powerful route than a 5Ghz one from BT?
A 1 gig connection is 1,000Mbps not 8000Mbps. Network speeds (and router speeds) are theoretical only. The ultimate speed is dependent on many factors and is often substantially less than what the quoted ISP speed is to the home (based on the plan that you choose).
I would expect BT would provide you with a router that is suitable for the plan and speeds that you purchase?

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
They can do 8000Mbps broadband, but you have to pay £360 for installation over 12 months and £150 a month.

Does anyone know what speed mobile phones work at? I've been told they can work at 1,000Mbps wi-fi for the latest models. Are tablets and laptops the same?
As far as I'm aware, BT's maximum speed plan is BT Full Fibre 900 which is 900 Mbps not 8000Mbps?

Friesiansam

A 1 gig connection is 1,000Mbps not 8000Mbps. Network speeds (and router speeds) are theoretical only. The ultimate speed is dependent on many factors and is often substantially less than what the quoted ISP speed is to the home (based on the plan that you choose).
I would expect BT would provide you with a router that is suitable for the plan and speeds that you purchase?
B4RN do appear to be offering services widely, as fast as 10Gbps and, in limited areas, 100Gbps.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
B4RN do appear to be offering services widely, as fast as 10Gbps and, in limited areas, 100Gbps.
It does seem like they are offering a 10Gbps service to some areas, however I would suggest that this is mostly of interest to folks who are operating a business (and a fairly large one at that)!
Quite frankly 1 gig is really overkill for most people and 100 - 300 Mbps is perfectly adequate, even for a family who may all streaming at once. I see no mention of 100Gbps on their web site. Of course, B4RN is only available to a very small percentage of the population who live in the rural North anyway. As it's basically a Co-op they don't rip people off like BT. 'Investors' go out and lay the cables and they created the system (which BT is now trying to piggy back onto).

Friesiansam

It does seem like they are offering a 10Gbps service to some areas, however I would suggest that this is mostly of interest to folks who are operating a business (and a fairly large one at that)!
Quite frankly 1 gig is really overkill for most people and 100 - 300 Mbps is perfectly adequate, even for a family who may all streaming at once. I see no mention of 100Gbps on their web site. Of course, B4RN is only available to a very small percentage of the population who live in the rural North anyway. As it's basically a Co-op they don't rip people off like BT. 'Investors' go out and lay the cables and they created the system (which BT is now trying to piggy back onto).
Look at my earlier post (#48) and you’ll see I think much the same but, low pricing could see me pay for a faster speed, when FTTP finally arrives here…

Airband need to pull their fingers out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts