Broadband speeds what do you get ?

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
always a sticky question this one being rural here in Essex we have certain restrictions ( ie long way from the BT Sky provider ) On a average day ie 0800 to 2300 BST we get around 70 to 75 on a poor day when kids are home from school go down to 55. Note we have fiber optic BT. . Up the road they have company called Giga (something) they get a minimum of 140 . But BT/Sky has refused them to come the 100 meters ,to us ( think that a bit unfair .
However ,back in the day we only got 17 to 20 . So have to be happy with our lot , and considering i have Amazon and Netflix added now . This clearly would not work .
The guys in Brentwood Essex ,clearly have much faster service, heard they go over 200 ( mind you that is what i was told ,by a resident ,who lives there..
Hold on ,i am sure the last Labour Government ,promised free broadband service at a faster speed . What happened guys ???
Where are those promises now ??? By the way i pay a total of £105 now for everything . Sky . but no films or sports

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
ou are a well known member i would not expect anything less for you ! Offcourse the service is only as fast as your broadband connected device allows. Be it Sky Q Netflix or Amazon. . Where it is useful is when there are a number of connections using up the data . Sky Q in every room 2 kids internet netflix Disney Amazon etc. . Or a multiple resident occupants . Or running a small business. But that sounds very fast. I gather the current minister for electronics affairs ( we shall call him or her that) . Has said by 2030 (promised ) 1000 to every home . Now how do we get this . easy answer /. through the mains electrics at 240 50/60 hz . This would mean the electrics would carry the services needed. Instead of we have currently have ie wi fi . Somew years ago it was tried out and failed in a remote village by i believe Scottish power Some ten years back ? But there was a problem , the transmissions needed to contained . to stop interference. from other users . I seen myself the report that was made and quickly left on the shelf. But it does work or will work . No satellites no wi fi connections and no one using your broadband service illegally.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Free wi fi will be a thing of the past ! to be replaced by . If the potential new owner of TWITTER gets his hands on it. There is no doubt TWITTER will not be free . well not the full service , at least. . Next he will merge TV and other services to TWITTER. . ( by the way anyone notice him supporting the Russians yes there is a reason for this he wants to start a TWITTER type service in Russia too . And China . The problem is he has not made friends by saying this and in my view should keep away from politics or does he want to run as President , tes there has been many rumours that he might

Friesiansam

Try rural Somerset...

We were on 27mbps downstream but, over the last few months it has declined to 20mbps. Looks like it might soon go below our guaranteed minimum, so I'll be able to demand it gets fixed. Hopefully next year we will be able to get FTTP from Airband, with the option of up to 900mbps.

Friesiansam

Free wi fi will be a thing of the past ! to be replaced by . If the potential new owner of TWITTER gets his hands on it. There is no doubt TWITTER will not be free . well not the full service , at least. . Next he will merge TV and other services to TWITTER. . ( by the way anyone notice him supporting the Russians yes there is a reason for this he wants to start a TWITTER type service in Russia too . And China . The problem is he has not made friends by saying this and in my view should keep away from politics or does he want to run as President , tes there has been many rumours that he might
Typical super rich American, although South African by birth. So rich, that he is able to do what the hell he likes in the US and, now he thinks he he can do what the hell he likes everywhere.

Reactions: WayneKerr

WayneKerr

I guess it all depends on who you are with and what speed you expect/pay for.

I believe Gigaclear is the company you are referring to Flash. They made a right mess of my estate digging up the pavements and dumping their rubble outside my house on a piece of greensward I used to mow. To add insult to injury the idiots severed my line and I was out for 3 weeks, fortunately Now broadband were brilliant and I got a rebate on my bill. I vowed never to sign up with Gigaclear regardless of what they offer as they employ cowboys to dig their trenches, none of whom could speak English.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
I guess it all depends on who you are with and what speed you expect/pay for.

I believe Gigaclear is the company you are referring to Flash. They made a right mess of my estate digging up the pavements and dumping their rubble outside my house on a piece of greensward I used to mow. To add insult to injury the idiots severed my line and I was out for 3 weeks, fortunately Now broadband were brilliant and I got a rebate on my bill. I vowed never to sign up with Gigaclear regardless of what they offer as they employ cowboys to dig their trenches, none of whom could speak English.
es it was them problem with them was the fact they took weeks to sort out the problems of holes in the road ( mostly have no pavements Think i stay with BT/SKy and keep ( they will not be allowed down here anyway . They are still in the area ( and loks like they have to make holes in peoples driveways

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Hi Flash

Just to clarify this, do you have Fibre to the Premises, or Fibre to the Cabinet? If you have fibre into your house then the package speed you sign up to should be what is delivered into your house. If it's fibre to the cabinet, then you'll have degredation due to the copper that links your premises to the nearest green cabinet out on the road that the fibre is provided to. That loss of signal and degredation is also why mains electrics will never work reliably or at a decent speed as a form of transmitting electronic data, especially over distance.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Hi Flash

Just to clarify this, do you have Fibre to the Premises, or Fibre to the Cabinet? If you have fibre into your house then the package speed you sign up to should be what is delivered into your house. If it's fibre to the cabinet, then you'll have degredation due to the copper that links your premises to the nearest green cabinet out on the road that the fibre is provided to. That loss of signal and degredation is also why mains electrics will never work reliably or at a decent speed as a form of transmitting electronic data, especially over distance.
we have standard fiber what ever that is. supplied via BT?SKY There is Gigaclear what they are called about 150 meters away but they are n ot allowed to come down this road at all. So we will not get what they are offering ( rumour is they are in trouble with the Council over damage to driveways ) Speed to there customers is around 150 plus we get half they get , varies from 70 to 85 but can b e as low as 55 dowload

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Standard Fibre will be FTTC, so not not a pure fibre connection which will explain your speed issue. Wont be helped if the contractors pulling the fibre up the road have damaged any of the copper in the road. Unfortunately their are alot of crazy contractors out and about. One bunch were pulling new fibres into our estate. When i pointed out to him that no-one would pay to hook up the new fibre because we already have FTTP fibre in our houses already, he wasn't impressed. I think much of the problem will be who is doing the planning and where they are based. Openreach have been making a right hash of their network and customer/project delivery since they outsourced their network planning to India during 2020. Doesn't take much to realise the chaos that has caused and the frustration their engineers have to deal with on most jobs they go to, and the break down in communication (or complete lack of) when dealing with private landowners and also local councils.

Gigaclear look to be very unique in that they have gone down the synchronous fibre route rather than leach off the asynchronous Openreach G.fast network. Also they seem to be able to offer that cheaper than most common providers. £26 for 600Mb syncronous Fibre is outrageously good value. It also looks like they have been pulling their own fibre network (like Virgin Media). This will give them the leverage to hop on and off the Openreach network as well as their own and they then are not dependant on 3rd parties to fix any cabling faults.

Reactions: WayneKerr

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
At this moment in time i am pleased to get now it is 70 mbs which is about right. highest i ever seen is 89 mbs and lowest is 50 mbs that is download speeds . Cannot complain at all. whether Gigaclear will be allowed down here from the top of the road is a matter of opinion . However there is local opposition , due to damage to driveways ( note this is semi rural here.

Gray

City Fibre spent millions disrupting my area - so now we're all ready for the fastest speeds.
I get constant mailings, from just about every ISP, with (what they describe as) special prices for super high speeds.

I'm not interested and I've got a feeling that, in my area, very few people are.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
City Fibre spent millions disrupting my area - so now we're all ready for the fastest speeds.
I get constant mailings, from just about every ISP, with (what they describe as) special prices for super high speeds.

I'm not interested and I've got a feeling that, in my area, very few people are.
there is a ;point of too fast will not make any difference to a normal person who simply want s to go online just to download musicx

Reactions: WayneKerr and Gray

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
moving to center of Chelmsford CM1 i gather it is quoted at the shared flat i am moving too 900 mps this off course is maximum at any given moment ie 0200 hrs on a Monday have no idea who the provider is , But as long as i get more 75mps which i am use too i be happy. the House has 5 flats in total . most are at work anyway and i have a feeling many will go out Friday and Saturday nights. Sorry to say i tend to stay in now 70 years of age. but still very flighty . As buying another big bike to park there ( i hope ) . I be using Netflix and Amazon. i might consider others to add on. ie Disney or Paramount what are you opinion on those two ?? Are they worth the money such a person who spends a lot of time watching tv . Note there is no Sky or Virgin as far as i know. And i want to cancel my subsription to Sky ( 13 years now) to save money anyway ( fan of sci fi here.. )

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
with the ending of the satellite dish in late 2024 as Sky needs to get into the modern age. of no dishes ( which is a shame but who will get that band , once it is switched off ITV and BBC also agree but not a date when they switch of there terrestrial tv transmissions). The problem will be for the older people who do not have internet or care for it. This then ads to the problem of rural areas , where the internet connection and mobile is poor ( here there is no O2 whatsoever due to Essex county council refusing to put repeaters near schools). The whole thing is very worrying in rural areas of Wales Scotland due to Mountain areas . Yes 90% of the population has the ability of getting fiber but not 90% of the whole of the UK. No fiber no TV This worries me for the future Yes i am allright "jack" 900 mps but out of towns and cities its gets a lot slower maybe if lucky ay 70 mps even with fiber.. I remember a promise by the previous Labour prime minister ( yes we did have one Blair) he promised fast internet for all within 10 years i believe Twenty years later this was not fullfilled by any Government/ What do i suggest is a bit radical satellite dishes above the surface ie 20 miles up to cover. Hold on we have that now , But it was intended for Africa by the guy who owns "X" . think it was up to 50 satellites . Here in the UK a simialr system can easily and cheaply be done Hold on is it me Sky will stop using the ASTRA satellite very soon ie before 2026 they could lease it and use it for full internet connections for the whole of the UK and poarts of Europe too . wow what a good idea , by me? will they do it ? probably no. No money in it for them or Astra what a swizz

daveh75

with the ending of the satellite dish in late 2024 as Sky needs to get into the modern age. of no dishes ( which is a shame but who will get that band , once it is switched off ITV and BBC also agree but not a date when they switch of there terrestrial tv transmissions).

The satellite dish isn't ending in 2024!

Sky extended it's contract with Astra until
at least the end of 2028.

UKTV have extended theirs until 2030.

Stop perpetuating this nonsense it's ending next year!

The whole thing is very worrying in rural areas of Wales Scotland due to Mountain areas . Yes 90% of the population has the ability of getting fiber but not 90% of the whole of the UK. No fiber no TV This worries me for the future Yes i am allright "jack" 900 mps but out of towns and cities its gets a lot slower maybe if lucky ay 70 mps even with fiber..

You don't even need fibre to reliably stream TV, let alone 70Mbps.

Netflix only requires 3Mbps for streaming in 720p, 5 Mbps for 1080p and 15Mbps for 4k.

What do i suggest is a bit radical satellite dishes above the surface ie 20 miles up to cover. Hold on we have that now , But it was intended for Africa by the guy who owns "X" . think it was up to 50 satellites .

Starlink uses a constellation of currently 5000 satellites with plans of 12000 to be deployed in total in LE0 @ 350 miles above the earth. It currently provides coverage to over 60 countries across the globe, including the UK.

Here in the UK a simialr system can easily and cheaply be done Hold on is it me Sky will stop using the ASTRA satellite very soon ie before 2026 they could lease it and use it for full internet connections for the whole of the UK and poarts of Europe too . wow what a good idea , by me? will they do it ? probably no. No money in it for them or Astra what a swizz

Firstly, I'll point this out yet again. Astra and their customers will be using those satellites for DSAT until at least 2030!!!

Secondly, Its hardly a new or radical idea!

Astra, Eutesat and others have offered satellite broadband via their fleets of satellites in GSO for decades.

It's also a terrible idea, because the latency from satellites orbiting 22000 miles above the earth is horrendous.

Hence why Spacex, OneWeb and Amazon are all using LEO for their respective constellations of satellites for providing internet..

Reactions: 12th Monkey

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
hold on your horses there BBC and ITV are already talking about ending terrestrial digital TV and using a internet service instead ( makes sense does it not) Yes SKY have a contract to 2018 but they are already using there new service Sky Glass and there new ( poorly supported) no Dish system. and they not going to introduce that system unless they have decided to replace it. yes they rented out for another 5 years, with ASTRA but does not say that there be TV transmissions like there is now. Sky Germany and Sky Italy will follow the lead . Because they not going to spend huge sums on there Internet system if was not going to replace it fairly soon. Sky glass and Streaming. They know that the dish is on its way out. But why have they signed a new contract. 1 hedging there bets just in case 2 Sky Glass and Streaming has had its problems and will require another 3 years to be as good as Virgin system. . The problem of no dish is that in the past Virgin has outrages on there service 3 days of no TV is not unusual( we had it a couple of times ) Dish main problem is bad weather blown down dishes damage dishes . which does happen But there is a cure for that why instead of putting your dish on the house wall ( assuming have one|) and put it in the garden on a concrete post ( like i have) lessons the problems of bad weather conditions ( Rain and wind0. Is the dish dead ? Maybe not but i give it 2/3 years and Sky will have changed to all through the internet

daveh75

hold on your horses there BBC and ITV are already talking about ending terrestrial digital TV and using a internet service instead ( makes sense does it not)

No they are not!!

Yes the PSBs are in the process of developing "Freely" to remain relevant and have sustainable future in the eventual transition from OTA to IP broadcast.

But that doesnt equate to Freeview disappearing overnight.

It is licensed until at least 2034, so please stop with the ill informed scaremongering!

Yes SKY have a contract to 2018 but they are already using there new service Sky Glass and there new ( poorly supported) no Dish system. and they not going to introduce that system unless they have decided to replace it. yes they rented out for another 5 years, with ASTRA but does not say that there be TV transmissions like there is now. Sky Germany and Sky Italy will follow the lead . Because they not going to spend huge sums on there Internet system if was not going to replace it fairly soon.
They equally aren't going to invest millions extending their contracts for another 5 years to just abruptly close their satellite service down!

Sky glass and Streaming. They know that the dish is on its way out. But why have they signed a new contract. 1 hedging there bets just in case 2 Sky Glass and Streaming has had its problems and will require another 3 years to be as good as Virgin system. .

Multi billion dollar, global conglomerates just don't operate like that!

Is the dish dead ? Maybe not but i give it 2/3 years and Sky will have changed to all through the internet

Sky still have customers using SD/Sky+/HD boxes out there let alone Sky Q, so there is no chance of them moving everyone across to IP in the next 2 - 3 years.

And for the love of god learn how to format your posts properly and use paragraphs. Huge blocks of text are a PITA to read....

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
sorry to say i am not continuing with Sky anyway . Moving out on Saturday . and cancelling after 13 years , with them. I currently get 76 down load and 18 upload on a very good night 80 mps. In CM1 i will get up to 900 mps but i doubt i get it ecept very early in the morning as sharing the internet with 4 others

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
It is entirely possible that your new address is serviced by Sky for an FTTP connection.

If it has Openreach infrastructure then a number of providers (including Sky) will likely be available.

Then again it might be an altnet which limits the choice of provider. Be worth finding out who the flat gets its fibre from so you can sort before moving.

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
If you're in a strong signal area and FTTP isn't available it's a good shout.

I'm noticing lots of "6G" (which of course is marketing nonsense) IX Wireless poles appearing in my area. They're about every 30 metres or so on some streets with a large metal mast I'm between. Looks a right mess.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts