Free hi-end speakers

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Well, nearly.

I am having a bit of a sort out and I have a pair of early Red Rose Rosebud speakers that are surplus to requirements.

These are Mk 1 models finished in french sycamore, they are a compact ribbon hybrid design that sold out of the Red Rose shop in New York for a fairly substantial $3000. They are fine speakers and deserve a good system, I would like them to go to someone who appreciates them. They look identical to these...

926685-a-pair-used-red-rose-music-bookshelf-speakers.jpg

926686-a-pair-used-red-rose-music-bookshelf-speakers.jpg

I am not asking money for these as that would be against forum rules but co-incidentally I am on the lookout for a decent Dac/headphone amplifier should anyone have one surplus to their requirements

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
They look to be exactly what I'm looking for for my home studio upgrade but sadly I have nothing you will be interested in to swap. *dash1*

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Nice speakers! Sadly I have nothing to offer in exchange .... but I do like the idea of forum members being able to swap gear. I know I have a few interesting items to offer ....

davedotco said:
Well, nearly.

I am having a bit of a sort out and I have a pair of early Red Rose Rosebud speakers that are surplus to requirements.

These are Mk 1 models finished in french sycamore, they are a compact ribbon hybrid design that sold out of the Red Rose shop in New York for a fairly substantial $3000. They are fine speakers and deserve a good system, I would like them to go to someone who appreciates them. They look identical to these...

I am not asking money for these as that would be against forum rules but co-incidentally I am on the lookout for a decent Dac/headphone amplifier should anyone have one surplus to their requirements

Nice looking davedotco, how sensitive or insensitive are they?

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
The MkII specs are:

external dimensions H:308mm W:177mm D:352mm (8.6kg)
woofer:5-inch(approximately12cm)carbon/Kevlar
tweeter:aluminium ribbon type
impedance etc.:8Ω
sensitivity:87dB
maximum input capacity:60W
frequency response:100Hz~20KHz(-3dB)[/b]

tino said:
The MkII specs are:

external dimensions H:308mm W:177mm D:352mm (8.6kg)woofer:5-inch(approximately12cm)carbon/Kevlartweeter:aluminium ribbon typeimpedance etc.:8Ωsensitivity:87dBmaximum input capacity:60Wfrequency response:100Hz~20KHz(-3dB)

Many thanks. Assume Mark 1 has a similar 87dB, pity I don't have a DAC to trade only a portable one.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
When I used them, a fairly brief period, I drove them with an EL34 based 30 watt valve amplifier though I would often dem them with a small but capable Red Rose solid state.

So not a lot of power needed but the do deserve something pretty decent, quality wise.

Sound signature is what I would term 'luxurious', think small Sonus Faber but with a ribbon tweeter.

davedotco said:
When I used them, a fairly brief period, I drove them with an EL34 based 30 watt valve amplifier though I would often dem them with a small but capable Red Rose solid state.

So not a lot of power needed but the do deserve something pretty decent, quality wise.

Sound signature is what I would term 'luxurious', think small Sonus Faber but with a ribbon tweeter.

Nice. I was wondering if it would be possible to drive something like them with my 25 watt amp. They have the same sensitivity as my floorstanders so I guess it's possible.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Tell you what, I get you a dirt cheap Behringer made in Shenzhen DAC/headphone amp in splendid best quality far eastern shiney plastic ... because all DAC's sound the same.

Apparently.

Because its you I'll throw in the included free spaghetti interconnects rather than charge you extra.

Yes, thats the kind of guy I am.

Happy weekend peeps x

drummerman said:
Tell you what, I get you a dirt cheap Behringer made in Shenzhen DAC/headphone amp in splendid best quality far eastern shiney plastic ... because all DAC's sound the same.

Apparently.

Because its you I'll throw in the included free spaghetti interconnects rather than charge you extra.

Happy weekend peeps x

You little charmer. *biggrin*

K

keeper of the quays

Do you think they are better than my AE1 mk3s? Lol..ill tell you what..lets test it? If they are? You can have one of my wide band Decca records? And one of my LFD interconnects..the irony of your dim view on cables will be amusing when you put it through your system and your jaw drops! Ps you can have my dac magic too!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
drummerman said:

Apparently.

Happy weekend peeps x

Do you think I over did it a little in my attempt to bag the speakers?

Perhaps I should have been less generous :)

drummerman said:
plastic penguin said:
drummerman said:

Apparently.

Happy weekend peeps x

I think you under did it. Wonder if he'd consider my Oppo HA-2. ;-)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
plastic penguin said:
drummerman said:

Apparently.

Happy weekend peeps x

Will it work with my Macbook Pro as a source? If so, mmmm....

davedotco said:
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
plastic penguin said:
drummerman said:

Apparently.

Happy weekend peeps x

Will it work with my Macbook Pro as a source? If so, mmmm....

Not sure Dave, it has limited inputs but serves me well on the road. ;-)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
plastic penguin said:
drummerman said:

Apparently.

Happy weekend peeps x

Is a nice product. If you are serious about doing a swap, we could discuss this.

I would like to see the speakers go to a good home.

davedotco said:
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
plastic penguin said:
drummerman said:

Apparently.

Happy weekend peeps x

Is a nice product. If you are serious about doing a swap, we could discuss this.

Are you serious? These speakers are worth a lot more than my HA-2 cost. You could probably sell them on and buy two HA-2's with the proceeds.

If you are serious I will think on this as my current speakers are too big for the room I am trying to use them in.

I am currently out of the country for a bit back next week. Having said that would dearly like to own something Mr. Levinson has had a hand in.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
plastic penguin said:
drummerman said:

Apparently.

Happy weekend peeps x

Are you serious? These speakers are worth a lot more than my HA-2 cost. You could probably sell them on and buy two HA-2's with the proceeds.

If you are serious I will think on this as my current speakers are too big for the room I am trying to use them in.

I am currently out of the country for a bit back next week. Having said that would dearly like to own something Mr. Levinson has had a hand in.

C'mon then chums ...

... did you spit hands, is the deal done, are the cookies still hot?

We'd like a bit more commitment :)

drummerman said:
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
plastic penguin said:
drummerman said:

Apparently.

Happy weekend peeps x

C'mon then chums ...

:)

Haven't heard from davedotco since my last post. I am not concerned too much as I said, I'm out of the country.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
plastic penguin said:
drummerman said:

Apparently.

Happy weekend peeps x

C'mon then chums ...

:)

Haven't heard from davedotco since my last post. I am not concerned too much as I said, I'm out of the country.

Post on this thread when you get back.

Get together and try the speakers maybe....*good*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts