Free hi-end speakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
davedotco said:
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
plastic penguin said:
drummerman said:
Tell you what, I get you a dirt cheap Behringer made in Shenzhen DAC/headphone amp in splendid best quality far eastern shiney plastic ... because all DAC's sound the same.

Apparently.

Because its you I'll throw in the included free spaghetti interconnects rather than charge you extra.

Yes, thats the kind of guy I am.

Happy weekend peeps x

You little charmer. *biggrin*

Do you think I over did it a little in my attempt to bag the speakers?

Perhaps I should have been less generous :)

I think you under did it. Wonder if he'd consider my Oppo HA-2. ;-)

Is a nice product. If you are serious about doing a swap, we could discuss this.

I would like to see the speakers go to a good home.

Are you serious? These speakers are worth a lot more than my HA-2 cost. You could probably sell them on and buy two HA-2's with the proceeds.

If you are serious I will think on this as my current speakers are too big for the room I am trying to use them in.

I am currently out of the country for a bit back next week. Having said that would dearly like to own something Mr. Levinson has had a hand in.

C'mon then chums ...

... did you spit hands, is the deal done, are the cookies still hot?

We'd like a bit more commitment :)

:)

Haven't heard from davedotco since my last post. I am not concerned too much as I said, I'm out of the country.

Post on this thread when you get back.

Get together and try the speakers maybe....*good*

Where abouts are you Dave?

Are you happy HA2 would suit your needs. I haven't tried connecting in to anything but a mobile, however as I generally carry all my music on a Fiio X3 player these days the Oppo is getting very little use.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
plastic penguin said:
drummerman said:
Tell you what, I get you a dirt cheap Behringer made in Shenzhen DAC/headphone amp in splendid best quality far eastern shiney plastic ... because all DAC's sound the same.

Apparently.

Because its you I'll throw in the included free spaghetti interconnects rather than charge you extra.

Happy weekend peeps x

Is a nice product. If you are serious about doing a swap, we could discuss this.

Are you serious? These speakers are worth a lot more than my HA-2 cost. You could probably sell them on and buy two HA-2's with the proceeds.

If you are serious I will think on this as my current speakers are too big for the room I am trying to use them in.

I am currently out of the country for a bit back next week. Having said that would dearly like to own something Mr. Levinson has had a hand in.

C'mon then chums ...

Haven't heard from davedotco since my last post. I am not concerned too much as I said, I'm out of the country.

Are you happy HA2 would suit your needs. I haven't tried connecting in to anything but a mobile, however as I generally carry all my music on a Fiio X3 player these days the Oppo is getting very little use.

West London. Brentford in fact, though we usually say "opposite Kew Gardens"...*dirol*

The HA2 should have a Type A to Mini usb cable, that will do the job nicely if you still have it.

davedotco said:
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
plastic penguin said:
drummerman said:

Apparently.

Happy weekend peeps x

C'mon then chums ...

West London. Brentford in fact, though we usually say "opposite Kew Gardens"...*dirol*

The HA2 should have a Type A to Mini usb cable, that will do the job nicely if you still have it.

Of course you would, just like everyone lives 'just outside' Merthyr Tydfil. :)

I have everything it came with including the box.

Distance might make audition difficult however.

Thanks for prompt reply by the way.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
plastic penguin said:
drummerman said:

Apparently.

Happy weekend peeps x

C'mon then chums ...

Northern wastelands...?

davedotco said:
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
plastic penguin said:
drummerman said:

Apparently.

Happy weekend peeps x

C'mon then chums ...

Northern wastelands...?

Nothing northern here, it's go west from you my man. :)

Down near the other end of the M4.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
plastic penguin said:
drummerman said:

Apparently.

Happy weekend peeps x

C'mon then chums ...

Northern wastelands...?

Just outside Merthyr Tydfil perhaps?

davedotco said:
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
plastic penguin said:
drummerman said:

Apparently.

Happy weekend peeps x

C'mon then chums ...

Northern wastelands...?

Just outside Merthyr Tydfil perhaps?

Funny you should say that. ;-)

However I'd be lying as Merthyr Tydfil is a town but it is also a County Borough so I do actually live inside the borough so known.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
Davedotco, I am home early (damn it) job finished earlier than expected.

Are you reading this?

Eventually.

I would be happy to do the swap as discussed but I can see the logistics being something of an issue.

I live within about half a mile of the London end of the M4, so some considerable distance from you. I have original packaging for the speakers but there is a little water damage, to the boxes not the speakers, so I am not sure they would stand up to a courier.

Any thoughts?

K

keeper of the quays

davedotco said:
Al ears said:
Davedotco, I am home early (damn it) job finished earlier than expected.

Are you reading this?

Eventually.

I would be happy to do the swap as discussed but I can see the logistics being something of an issue.

I live within about half a mile of the London end of the M4, so some considerable distance from you. I have original packaging for the speakers but there is a little water damage, to the boxes not the speakers, so I am not sure they would stand up to a courier.

Any thoughts?
Al ears..Fuel up your car mate! You got a two hour drive...

davedotco said:
Al ears said:

Are you reading this?

Eventually.

Any thoughts?

Let me think on this one Dave. Gaffer tape? I was going to suggest I pay for a courier as it would be cheaper for me than driving up and back but if you think that's not a good idea I will have to look at other options. I sometimes fly out of Heathrow and get hire car home but work is very thin on the ground and I don't know when I will be doing that next.

Mine is a lot easier to post obviously, are you sure it will suit your needs or would you like me to post it to you for a demo?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
Al ears said:

Are you reading this?

Eventually.

Any thoughts?

Let me think on this one Dave. Gaffer tape? I was going to suggest I pay for a courier as it would be cheaper for me than driving up and back but if you think that's not a good idea I will have to look at other options. I sometimes fly out of Heathrow and get hire car home but work is very thin on the ground and I don't know when I will be doing that next.

Mine is a lot easier to post obviously, are you sure it will suit your needs or would you like me to post it to you for a demo?

I'll look into this, the speakers are double boxed and it is only the outer box that is a bit flaky, let me think on it.

The Oppo is fine functionaly and has a great reputation soundwise, probably better than my 'phones deserve, assuming it is in decent condition that is not an issue.

As I said, I will have a few thoughts and get back.

davedotco said:
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
Al ears said:

Are you reading this?

Eventually.

Any thoughts?

I'll look into this, the speakers are double boxed and it is only the outer box that is a bit flaky, let me think on it.

The Oppo is fine functionaly and has a great reputation soundwise, probably better than my 'phones deserve, assuming it is in decent condition that is not an issue.

Appreciate that Dave. The Oppo is basically brand new, I have used it about four times as its become sort of redundant as I use a DMP now when away. Thought you were using it with MacBook? It will work with that will it not?

Do you want me to ask mods to pass on my email address?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
Al ears said:

Are you reading this?

Eventually.

Any thoughts?

Appreciate that Dave. The Oppo is basically brand new, I have used it about four times as its become sort of redundant as I use a DMP now when away. Thought you were using it with MacBook? It will work with that will it not?

Do you want me to ask mods to pass on my email address?

That would be good.

According to the Oppo website, the HA2 has an asyncronous usb input on a usb mini socket. There should be a cable with this plug and a regular usb A plug on the other end, this is supposed to do the job.

I am a bit busy now and over the weekend though next week looks fairly quiet.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
Why not make it a bake-off boys?

Que?

Whichever of you girls visits the other one takes ones hifi wares with her to show off and compare.

Apparently its very therapeutic, well, at least until you have to dis-assemble your system ... then assemble again ... then ... you get the idea.

The upshot is you can make a nice afternoon or eve out of it and its interesting reading for us.

drummerman said:
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
Why not make it a bake-off boys?

Que?

Whichever of you girls visits the other one takes ones hifi wares with her to show off and compare.

Apparently its very therapeutic, well, at least until you have to dis-assemble your system ... then assemble again ... then ... you get the idea.

The upshot is you can make a nice afternoon or eve out of it and its interesting reading for us.

Interesting reading it may be but it'll take me an afternoon to get to davedotco's and a fair amount of fuel, my car being a little inefficient.

Show off and compare isn't necessary. I, and many others, know how good a HA-2 is and the speakers well, speak for themselves.

Therapeutic for whom?

The idea that I take my whole system apart and transport it to see what his speakers sound like is, quite frankly, ludicrous. Have you tried lifting a Linear A?? :)

Can I just say my faith in this forum has been renewed lately with my dealings with davedotco and his very kind offer of a trade and also with recent correspondence with nopiano whom I will visit in the near future now I know how close he is.

I realise this forum has no classified ads section but would urge all other members, who might have stuff lying around, to consider doing what Dave has done and organise a swap. What better way to assist and bring a little joy to this sometimes depressing forum?

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:

I have the Oppo as well, and have normally used it during my commute. It certainly has improved the sound playing FLAC files from my Galaxy Note 3 and Shure SE110s, but I do think that the Shures are holding it back.

Normally I listen to music from my PC using a Dragonfly 1.2 DAC, which was doing a good job. This week i experimented by replacing the Dragonfly with the Oppo, and using my Sennheiser SE598SEs as headphones. I listened to this album https://www.amazon.fr/Private-Collection-Charlie-Haden/dp/B0039TD75Y saved in FLAC format. I chose the album because it contains a well recorded mix of bass, piano and percussion which provides a good test of my system.

I was surprised by the improvement in the percussion, with the drums sounding like taut skin and the cymbals sounding cleaner and more precise. There was a similar improvement in the bass, which also sounder cleaner. I started feeling as though I was just a few feet away from the musicians - and thinking that i wish that I had tried the Oppo with the PC a few months ago.

I know that you have used far more expensive top-end equipment during your career, but i think that you will enjoy using/experimenting with the Oppo. *biggrin*

For months I have been reading forums where members say that the Mojo is the next level up from the Oppo. If that is the case, then the Mojo must be something special - the wallet starts to open slowly. *dash1*

expat_mike said:
davedotco said:

I have the Oppo as well, and have normally used it during my commute. It certainly has improved the sound playing FLAC files from my Galaxy Note 3 and Shure SE110s, but I do think that the Shures are holding it back.

Normally I listen to music from my PC using a Dragonfly 1.2 DAC, which was doing a good job. This week i experimented by replacing the Dragonfly with the Oppo, and using my Sennheiser SE598SEs as headphones. I listened to this album https://www.amazon.fr/Private-Collection-Charlie-Haden/dp/B0039TD75Y saved in FLAC format. I chose the album because it contains a well recorded mix of bass, piano and percussion which provides a good test of my system.

I was surprised by the improvement in the percussion, with the drums sounding like taut skin and the cymbals sounding cleaner and more precise. There was a similar improvement in the bass, which also sounder cleaner. I started feeling as though I was just a few feet away from the musicians - and thinking that i wish that I had tried the Oppo with the PC a few months ago.

I know that you have used far more expensive top-end equipment during your career, but i think that you will enjoy using/experimenting with the Oppo. *biggrin*

For months I have been reading forums where members say that the Mojo is the next level up from the Oppo. If that is the case, then the Mojo must be something special - the wallet starts to open slowly. *dash1*

You could probably recoup quite a bit selling the Oppo....... ;-)

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:

Yes - but first I need to think a bit deeper about my hifi strategy for the next year.

My next step will be to buy some better headphones for my commute (this removes the issue with the old pair of Shures). I am thinking about Beyer T51 because they are portable, and I would like to explore the sound of the Tesla drivers.

As to whether I buy a Mojo, I am considering continuing with the Oppo for commuting, and getting a Mojo or Hugo for my PC (or as an input source for my amplifier). Or should I sell the Oppo, get a Mojo for commuting and PC use. Or.........

Playing such ideas out in the mind, can provide hours of fun..... And while I do that, i can experiment further with the Oppo.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
expat_mike said:
davedotco said:

So far I am only talking about buid quality and functionality, but it has a fit and feel quality to it that is at least a match for an iPhone 5s (my wife has one) or my now nearly vintage Tag Heuer.

At some point in the next couple of days I shall find my better phones and give it a really good go. It is prabably going to be better than the phones deserve so it will be interesting.

If I start getting back into headphone listening I shall no doubt want better, always fancied a pair of planars of some kind. I used to own Stax SRXs with the (long since illegal) SRD7 mains powered energiser, rather good for the 1970s.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
So far I am only talking about buid quality and functionality, but it has a fit and feel quality to it that is at least a match for an iPhone 5s (my wife has one) or my now nearly vintage Tag Heuer.

At some point in the next couple of days I shall find my better phones and give it a really good go. It is prabably going to be better than the phones deserve so it will be interesting.

If I start getting back into headphone listening I shall no doubt want better, always fancied a pair of planars of some kind. I used to own Stax SRXs with the (long since illegal) SRD7 mains powered energiser, rather good for the 1970s.

The build quality is certainly good and solid, plus it looks good and stacks comfortably with my phone.

You are essentially using your phone as a music server (with music player app), feeding the Oppo dac, outputting to headphones. On the Head-Fi forum, the experience seems to be that for either the oppo or mojo, the quality of the phone (within reason) has the least impact, but the type of music player app and its settings (especially if the default settings are to upscale or otherwise modify the music file) is important, followed by the headphones.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts