Forward or Downward Firing Sub for music, Which would be best?

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Would a forward or downward firing active Sub be best for music play back?

Which size woofer out of 8" and 10" would be best used for rock/metal and hiphop/r&b music?

Has anyone got any Sub they can recommend that cost between £200-£500 max.

Thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Somw useful discussion here: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/forward-or-downward-firing-sub-woofers

For music I would be looking for a fast, tight, tuneful sub that plays tunes. IMO This is better from a sealed sub with a smaller diameter (which often makes it faster, especially in cheaper ones.)

I would look at this crowd: http://www.bkelec.com/hifi/sub_woofers.htm

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Cno.

I will check out the link tot he thread, thanks.

I understand that BK Subs are very respected. Gemini or XLS200 look like they could be what i'm after.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I would recommend BK or MJ Acoustics. Both are of sealed box design.

MJ and BK are normally floor firing which has the advantage of reducing phase interaction with your main speakers but the draw back is your downstairs neighbour will come up and complaint. If you want both MJ and BK are supplied with front firing subs.

As to 8" or 10" subs. it depends on how low the freq. you wish to have but bear in mind to buy one with sufficient power output.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Inter_Voice

I'll make sure i check out the MJ Acoustics Subs as well.

I need a sub which isn't too big but helps fill in the low freqs my speakers can't reach, plus it would be nice to have abit more thump to drums etc when listening to rock music. I also use my amp for movie duties at the moment and the BK Gemini II looks good with it's filters for music and movies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts