FOR TEAM RE:ONKYO TX NR 818 REVIEW.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

bigboss said:
No, read properly. This is from someone who has actually heard the 818. Also, your posts made it appear that Onkyo specifically has a problem driving 4 ohm speakers. David's post says otherwise. The cheapest receiver that can drive them properly is not even in the budget range of the 818.

I can read just fine thanks. You are making such a pathetic point here is it ridiculous. No I never compared it to any other AVR because I did not feel there was a need to get into an X vs Y comparison. Trying to say I was wrong because of things that I never felt the need to point out is also just as pathetic.

You are so wrapped up in yourself that you failed to realise that David's comments were based on previous experinece and not by actually using the 150's on the 818. Which does not put his experience level any higher than my own.

CaptHowdy said:
bigboss said:
No, read properly. This is from someone who has actually heard the 818. Also, your posts made it appear that Onkyo specifically has a problem driving 4 ohm speakers. David's post says otherwise. The cheapest receiver that can drive them properly is not even in the budget range of the 818.

I can read just fine thanks. You are making such a pathetic point here is it ridiculous. No I never compared it to any other AVR because I did not feel there was a need to get into an X vs Y comparison. Trying to say I was wrong because of things that I never felt the need to point out is also just as pathetic.

You are so wrapped up in yourself that you failed to realise that David's comments were based on previous experinece and not by actually using the 150's on the 818. Which does not put his experience level any higher than my own.

Arrogant as ever. :roll:

A

Anonymous

bigboss said:
If you go through your posts in this thread, you'll understand why I challenged your beliefs. Mocking people & their reviews with your own assumptions is arrogant. Why can't people look for musical abilities in an AV receiver? They don't want the very best in music (that a dedicated stereo amplifier can achieve), but want good music with the convenience of 1 package.

There is a big difference between experience and assumptions. I am pretty sure I have more experience of Onkyo AVR's than you do. Especially as I actually own one. You have little no experience yourself so there is no need to get up on your high horse about it.

Again I am very happy with the musical abilities of the Onkyo. Not sure why I am having to repeat that. Other than you trying to make a big thing out of nothing.

A

Anonymous

bigboss said:
So what are the advantages of 4 ohm speakers? Why can't manufacturers stick to 8 ohms?

A question proving your serious lack of knowledge. And you are questioning me about my knowledge? Priceless. :wave:

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
CaptHowdy said:
bigboss said:
Nope, can't find any post related to the 818. No need to argue without any proof. Please post some links.

The only link I found is this, in which Onkyo says there's no problem driving 4 ohm speakers, as long as all the speakers are 4 ohms:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412714/onkyo-tx-nr818-official-owners-thread-discussion/540

There is a big difference between a speaker making some noise and a speaker being driven properly. But if you feel you have found proof that everyone is fine then that is awesome. No one with difficult to drive 4 ohm speakers should worry and anyone and everyone can buy an 818 safe in the knowledge that you have given it your seal of approval. I imagine that you can also confirm that the 818 is the perfect match for expensive speaker/sub packages like the one WHF decided to test it with. I am not sure of the exact amount of the package but it is clearly way beyond the scope of what will be paired with it in the real world. But hey.. if the 818 is so powerful and performed so well then I guess there is no point in anyone spending over £1k on an AVR with any speaker package right? So ignore my posts as I am obviously a complete idiot.

Or maybe I do have a legitimate point and you are just just trying to appear to be clever because you have so many posts and feel like everyone should bow down before you and respect everything you say. I can guarantee you that I could make the 818 shut down like the 3008/3009/5008/5009 does with a particular speaker package and not at a particulary over the top volume level. But as you own a Yamaha 1900 and Monitor Audio Radius speakers (which are very easy to drive) you would not really have experienced it for yourself.

I guess people can make their own minds up on who is right and who is wrong.

I don't care who's right and who's wrong, but I can make my mind up about which one of you's being a complete ****.

CaptHowdy said:
bigboss said:
So what are the advantages of 4 ohm speakers? Why can't manufacturers stick to 8 ohms?

A question proving your serious lack of knowledge. And you are questioning me about my knowledge? Priceless. :wave:

You haven't heard the 818 so your experience doesn't count. I can't drive a Polo & comment on Passat's performance, simply because they're both made by one manufacturer.

I haven't asked you the question, so stay out of it if you don't have anything useful to add. I know 4 ohm speakers can draw more power out of the amplifier. What's in theory & in reality are two different things. So I'm asking David's experience.

A

Anonymous

BenLaw said:
I don't care who's right and who's wrong, but I can make my mind up about which one of you's being a complete ****.

Takes one to know one, as they say.

A

Anonymous

bigboss said:
CaptHowdy said:
Again I am very happy with the musical abilities of the Onkyo.

CaptHowdy said:
But there are too many people out there claiming that Onkyo AVR's and Music do not mix. So trying to convince people that the 818 can reproduce Music to a high standard will be falling on deaf ears. But good luck with it.

But did I actually say that I was one of the people that thinks Onkyo AVR's and Music do not mix? No.

I was pointing out that it is an uphill battle trying to get the point across as so many people think Onkyo's are rubbish for music.

So again... you have argued with me for nothing.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
To answer your question, in my opinion, there are no £1k AV receivers that can properly drive good quality, 4ohm loudspeakers.

The specifications of a loudspeaker are usually a bit of a juggling act, so you'll never find the perfect loudspeaker based on numbers. Impedance generally drops with frequency and even speakers that are rated 8ohms tend to drop down to 4ohms (sometimes lower). There's no hard and fast rules, but 4ohm speakers are generally better quality ones (KEF Reference and R/B&W 800 and CM etc), but are more demanding of the amplifier. Most budget/mid priced speakers tend to be rated at 6-8ohms (MA Bronze or KEF Q).

A manufacturer can control many of the specs using the crossover, but the more you manipulate the natural specs of the speaker, the more complex the crossover becomes which in turn degrades the resulting signal. Ideally, you don't want any components on the crossover that you don't really need.

A

Anonymous

bigboss said:
You haven't heard the 818 so your experience doesn't count. I can't drive a Polo & comment on Passat's performance, simply because they're both made by one manufacturer.

I haven't asked you the question, so stay out of it if you don't have anything useful to add. I know 4 ohm speakers can draw more power out of the amplifier. What's in theory & in reality are two different things. So I'm asking David's experience.

I never said that I have not heard one. But if you have to hear one to be in a position to comment then that makes your argument against me pointless, as you have not heard one. David did not actually admit to hearing one. He just posted a comment based on his experience of Onkyo AVR's. But either way... what I was saying and what he is saying actually boils down to the same thing. You are just too full of yourself to realise it.

This is a forum. I can comment on anything I like. Especially as I actually have relevant experience and you clearly do not.

CaptHowdy said:
what I was saying and what he is saying actually boils down to the same thing.

But there's a massive difference in the way you said it & David explained it. Apart from ridiculing the reviewers, your language made it look as if Onkyos specifically have a problem driving 4 ohm speakers which is not the case. You still haven't understood why I picked on you, have you?

A

Anonymous

bigboss said:
But there's a massive difference in the way you said it & David explained it. Apart from ridiculing the reviewers, your language made it look as if Onkyos specifically have a problem driving 4 ohm speakers which is not the case. You still haven't understood why I picked on you, have you?

Any comment by any person is perceived differently by every person that reads it. How my comments aimed at someone else come across to you should not be taken as an open invitation for you to make judgement on me.

Onkyo AVR's do have a problem driving 4 ohms speakers. Just like most other equivalent AVR's.

I really do not care why you thought you were picking on me.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
CaptHowdy said:
BenLaw said:

Takes one to know one, as they say.

It seems you felt you hadn't demonstrated your child-like credentials sufficiently through the rest of this thread, but rest assured you have now won the prize.

A

Anonymous

bigboss said:
Ah, finally!

So if the other AVRs in the competition at the price point also don't drive 4 ohm speakers properly, why even comment it in a review as a problem with Onkyo?

I looked at the review and posted about it. Anyone who has any worthwhile experience with 4 ohm speakers would surely realise that it is the same with most AVR's. There is no point getting the hump with me just because of what you read in to my comments and because of things that you feel I did not say.

A

Anonymous

BenLaw said:
It seems you felt you hadn't demonstrated your child-like credentials sufficiently through the rest of this thread, but rest assured you have now won the prize.

Meanwhile you posted to call me a

[Post edited by Mods for unacceptable language]

. That makes you a big sensible man does it? I think you just pipped me to 1st place. :clap:

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
CaptHowdy said:
BenLaw said:

Meanwhile you posted to call me a "****". That makes you a big sensible man does it? I think you just pipped me to 1st place. :clap:

From your manner of posting, and the fact you got aggressive when others were perfectly civil with you, I thought I would post in a manner you might understand. I can make the point politely as well, but I'm sure you will misunderstand (possibly deliberately, possibly out of stupidity). The point is that, whether your point is a good one or a bad one, the manner of expressing it affects how it is received. So even if you're right, if you act like a **** when you say it no-one will want to hear what you have to say.

And btw, you're the one who's deliberately posted profanity on a public forum, whereas mine remains edited.

A

Anonymous

I find it very funny when people try to justify a post that they made in an attempt to annoy someone else. If you cannot take sarcasm back in your direction then do not bother trying to dish it out to begin with. :hand:

A

Anonymous

BenLaw said:
My working conclusion now is a combination of stupidity and being deliberate, tho I'm sure any future posts from you will help me hone that conclusion.

You are free to work towards any conclusion you like as it makes no difference to my life. Also... you should try swinging that judgemental pendulum back in the other direction once in a while.

T

the record spot

bigboss said:
sound10 said:
Hi, I had the opportunity to compare the Onkyo 818 Receiver with the Marantz PM6004/CD6004 Combo both hooked upto the Monitor Audio BX5's and imho the Onkyo 818 sounded really poor with music when compared to the Marantz. The Onkyo was tested in pure direct mode. To be honest I was not expecting such a massive difference after all the Marantz is a budget HiFi system, but to my ears the Marantz was in a completely different league.

However I also feel on the flip side that perhaps the Onkyo was not set up properly. Reason being that I demoed the Onkyo 809 earlier this year and thought it sounded pretty good with music ????

Of course, an AV receiver is no match to a dedicated stereo amplifier. This was my experience at the Big Question feature at WHF where the budget was superior to some high end AV receivers.

Aherm, are you chaps sure about that then...? It's just that the 818 comfortably stacks up against any stereo amp I've ever owned (and there's been a few of them). Just sayin'... :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts